The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Criminal Acts] Getting tough on crime

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It's too easy to run from the guards and murder wantonly, so I feel we really need to toughen things up a bit:

(1) Bounty does not tick down when you are offline on the character
(2) If you are wanted for murder, Heat does not go away AND bounty does not tick down. You will need to bribe your way out of it in an Outlaw's Den or use a leniency writ.
(3) Being in werewolf form turns Heat on even if you are just loitering.
(4) Transforming into a Werewolf is a Criminal Act.
(5) Eating a man or mer corpse as a Werewolf counts as murder. If you "murder" the right sorts of people this way there is no bounty.
(6) Drinking blood from a person counts as murder. Some places like Rivenspire do tolerate vampires with civilized behaviour, but even the Count of Rivenspire does that stuff indoors with willing participants.
(7) Having your daedra or bear in town is a Criminal Act but there is no Heat. You will just be accosted. Could just be a very small bounty.

As a consolation, if you have a stack of leniency writs and the like in inventory, being accosted by a guard also lets you pay off your bounty with stacks of those writs first.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 18, 2019 10:28AM
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the justice system, but if they plan to add anything to it in the future, I think they should first work on the witness aspect of it. Bounty should go away if all witnesses are dead (within a certain timeframe).
    Edited by Vermethys on July 18, 2019 8:30AM
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • Varaug_Gaming
    Varaug_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Vermethys wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the justice system, but if they plan to add anything to it in the future, I think they should first work on the witness aspect of it. Bounty should go away if all witnesses are dead (within a certain timeframe).

you dont understand man those people send invisible waves of thoughts to the closest guards in their last moments

those thoughts contain all your crimes you ever did commit to in an extremely detailed kind of way
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    would rather have a bounty/vampire/werewolf hunter or such guild with abilities for pcs to collect bounties and such. B)
  • Legate_Lanius
    Legate_Lanius
    ✭✭✭
    why would you get a fine for having a non aggressive pet? Might aswell do it for all mounts that aren't horses and non combat pets.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    why would you get a fine for having a non aggressive pet? Might aswell do it for all mounts that aren't horses and non combat pets.

NB fear "summons a dark spirit to frighten your enemies"
    Necro Spirit guardian "Conjure a ghostly spirit to do your bidding and stay by your side..."
    Sorc: "Call on Azura to send a twilight matriarch to fight at your side"

Only one of these is a criminal act. Duels for Necros w/pets have to be outside the eyes of the law. It would make a nice convenient standard if none of these were allowed in towns to be fair.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NB fear "summons a dark spirit to frighten your enemies"
    Necro Spirit guardian "Conjure a ghostly spirit to do your bidding and stay by your side..."
    Sorc: "Call on Azura to send a twilight matriarch to fight at your side"

Only one of these is a criminal act. Duels for Necros w/pets have to be outside the eyes of the law. It would make a nice convenient standard if none of these were allowed in towns to be fair.

The HARMLESS HEALING ghost should definitely not be a criminal act. How many damn quests make you summon ghosts? SMH.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanna be able to murder the entire town guard because I can’t stand when they talk down to me like I couldn’t destroy them in two strokes of the staff if the ESO gods hadn’t immortalized them.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If bounty didn't tick down while offline, players would never lose their bounty.

What I think they should do is change the way your reputation works.

So... If you have bounty, guards are always hostile.

Remove the gold component of edicts.
    If you use a blue edict, you can talk to guards and pay bounty.
    If you use a purple edict, you gain clemancy.
    If you use a gold edict, it clears your bounty.

This would ensure that players have to actually work with bounty (also it would stop accidental payments of bounties to guards). Maybe even only allow bounty to tick down while you are offline.
    Edited by Cathexis on July 21, 2019 12:37AM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    If bounty didn't tick down while offline, players would never lose their bounty.

Um... you pay it off?
    Either at a guard or at an Outlaw's Den. That's how it works right now.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 21, 2019 12:38AM
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

Um... you pay it off?

I wouldn't pay it, there would be no point.
    The whole point of having a thief is to generate coin, so if I were losing too much on bounty I just wouldn't pay it and then idle my thief somewhere when I need it gone.

It just wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay and server performance. It wouldn't actually do anything. It does actually already have an impact like if you get an 8k bounty that's going to last probably 24 hours.

Stopping it from ticking down while online on the other hand would make you have to deal with it.
    Edited by Cathexis on July 21, 2019 12:44AM
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Um... you pay it off?

The whole point of having a thief is to generate coin, so if I were losing too much on bounty I just wouldn't pay it and then idle my thief somewhere when I need it gone.

(1) Not paying it is your problem. Just like in real life, not paying your traffic ticket is your problem. There are eventually consequences.

(2) The whole point of BEING a thief/assassin is NOT TO GET CAUGHT AT IT. Otherwise it's banditry and you are committing to living where there are no guards.
    Just like in real life, you can shoplift "for profit" -- until you get caught.

(3) Right now bounty does tick down when you are logged onto the character with the bounty. Under my proposal, it only stops ticking down when you are wanted for a major crime like murder -- where you needed to be more careful.

Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 21, 2019 12:49AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to pay any bounty i get for randomly healing people in town. also bounty ticks off when you are online pretty fast as well...
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Um... you pay it off?

(1) Not paying it is your problem. Just like in real life, not paying your traffic ticket is your problem. There are eventually consequences.

(2) The whole point of BEING a thief/assassin is NOT TO GET CAUGHT AT IT. Otherwise it's banditry and you are committing to living where there are no guards.
    Just like in real life, you can shoplift "for profit" -- until you get caught.

(3) Right now bounty does tick down when you are logged onto the character with the bounty. Under my proposal, it only stops ticking down when you are wanted for a major crime like murder -- where you needed to be more careful.

(1) Economic insentives to play a particular style have to be viable or people won't play them. This is NOT real life, it is a videogame.

(2) The whole point of being a thief/assassin in this GAME is to gain resources. There already are consequences to those acts, your access to NPCs and safe passage through towns is restricted.

(3) That's fine, that's one way of approaching it. But the thing is, players get thousands and thousands of bounty, and if you disable the down tick while offline, it will make it impossible to reattain non-bounty status, because players will stop caring about their bounty, and it will always grow faster than it will tick down.

Like as soon as I exceeded 5k bounty on that system I wouldn't care at that point I would just be like "welp, screw this then, I can make more gold and just never pay off my bounty."
    Edited by Cathexis on July 22, 2019 9:38AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too easy to run from the guards and murder wantonly, so I feel we really need to toughen things up a bit:(3) Being in werewolf form turns Heat on even if you are just loitering.
    (4) Transforming into a Werewolf is a Criminal Act.
    (7) Having your daedra or bear in town is a Criminal Act but there is no Heat. You will just be accosted. Could just be a very small bounty.
    How about no.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But the thing is, players get thousands and thousands of bounty

How about they don't do that in the first place?
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not agree, because this is a fantasy video game, not real life. Also, if they did not allow bounty to tick away over time or while logged out, I would never do the Sacrament quests that were required to get event tickets in the recent DB and TG event. I often get a bounty from doing a Sacrament quest, but it ticks away fairly quickly.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jim_1 wrote: »
    I do not agree, because this is a fantasy video game, not real life. Also, if they did not allow bounty to tick away over time or while logged out, I would never do the Sacrament quests that were required to get event tickets in the recent DB and TG event. I often get a bounty from doing a Sacrament quest, but it ticks away fairly quickly.

Yes it's fantasy but that's a catch-all argument.

Your specific concern relates to a too-easy loophole in the justice system. Bounties are there for a reason. For it to be too easy to just timeout a bounty suggests the system is actually not working as intended.
    This also ruins the sense of achievement of those who are actually good at the "game of crime" and even dissuades people from trying at all.

Theoretically you can just bulldoze in and out of a sacrament and log off and go to sleep for the night to wake up to no bounty. I don't feel that's working as intended.

Also, I didn't propose that ALL bounties stop ticking. Only the most serious crimes (murder) stop the bounty decay.

@ZOS_RobGarrett
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 23, 2019 6:09PM
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya you haven't had a huge bounty yet it sounds like.

Try ticking down like an 8k bounty, that takes like 24hrs.

It's not hard to wrack up like a 30-40k bounty if you speed crime over an extended period.

That's when it starts lasting meaningful proportions of time. And to be honest I think that's on point, small interactions would be annoying to deal with.
    Edited by Cathexis on July 25, 2019 8:24AM
    Praise Malacath.