The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Vet dungeon?

Summ0n3r
Summ0n3r
From what I understand vet dungeons are massively harder then normal dungeons, if Im cp 255 tank and my healer buddy is similar do we have a chance at some of the vet dungeons? Fungal I Spindle I? thx
win 10, i7-3930k @ 4ghz, 32gb, GTX 1070Ti
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet dungeons are a step up from normal, yes. Some are easier than others and the two you mentioned are amongst the easier vet dungeons.

I have healed a tank in a vCoH 2 (not HM) that had just hit vet ranks. Was just CP10 and probably sub lvl 50 gear with just over 20k health. We got through it just fine. I told him as long as he can hold agro on bosses we can get through this without an issue.

But do not be surprised is some lesser skilled players kick you from the group if you use the GF for random groups. They tend to blame others for their failures in dungeons. I would suggest finding a decent and active guild to run with as your experience will be much better on average.

Edit: I would read up on mechanics for dungeons. As tank you need to know boss mechanics more than anyone else in the group. Also, you need to be upfront with people that it is your first time/new at this so they can help explain and are aware of what they are getting into.
    Edited by idk on July 17, 2019 3:31PM
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should do just fine for Vet dungeons with the exception of certain DLC Vet dungeons. The biggest thing to get through these harder DLC dungeons is to know the mechanics and of course be geared for it properly. Don't forget CP distribution to support pure Tanking as well.

I would suggest going with heavy armour on body with Sturdy trait to help with blocking. There are a lot of Tank guides out there and I highly suggest NOT following them to the letter but instead looking through them and examining your character's build to optimize it for Tanking.

An excellent site to peruse is Mr. Woeler's site. www.woeler.eu

As I mentioned above, I suggest not following any Tanking guide to the letter but instead use the information to build your own Tank for your own play style.

Have fun and enjoy the Tanking rush!
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Summ0n3r wrote: »
    From what I understand vet dungeons are massively harder then normal dungeons, if Im cp 255 tank and my healer buddy is similar do we have a chance at some of the vet dungeons? Fungal I Spindle I? thx

The first few vets are easy--enemies have more hp and do a bit mroe damage, but cp250 is PLENTY for the level 1 base game dungeons. The level 2 base games ones are a measure harder, but still very clearable at cp300ish

I just wouldn't get into any DLC vets for a while, til you get the hand of things. Those are immeasurably harder than the base game ones.

If you're taunting and your healer is healing, but your group is struggling in FG1 or similar, it's a dps problem!
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    And yeah, as a tank main, woehler is the place for tanking tips/builds. Heavy armor and sturdy traits are your friend, and shoot for around 35k health (as a tank) and at least 25k resistances fully buffed. The resist cap is 33k, but you won't need to be THAT tanky for the base game vets.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Try Fungal Grotto I first, it's probably the easiest of all the vet dungeons. At CP255 you should not have much trouble completing that one.
    bye1.gif

• Summ0n3r
    Summ0n3r
    thx for the tips guys, as luck would have it only one of my armor pieces has a STURDY trait to it lol, im running a regen tank Green Pact and Beekeeper full sets, regen is a hair under 3k with food buffs running. Im told its a selfish build though and i should try and get a set that buffs the team better....... the joys of learning the game lol
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Give Xynode's All About Mechanics a review for the dungeon you are doing. From the vet perspective with comments about hard mode as well. I usually refresh if I haven't done the dungeon on vet in a while to remind myself of the one shots, etc. Great resource.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thx for the tips guys, as luck would have it only one of my armor pieces has a STURDY trait to it lol, im running a regen tank Green Pact and Beekeeper full sets, regen is a hair under 3k with food buffs running. Im told its a selfish build though and i should try and get a set that buffs the team better....... the joys of learning the game lol

Oh, don't worry about anyone telling you you have a 'selfish build'. As a tank you want to do basically four things:
    - Taunt (So they hit you)
    - Maim (So they deal less damage to you/others)
    - Keep them still as much as possible (This is the single best thing by far you can do to support your group)
    - Stay alive (e.g. learn the visual cues when to block/interrupt they are consistent throughout the entire game).

Anything beyond that is just flavour, so to speak. Do those things well and anyone that complains is absolutely not worth playing with. The DPS potential in this game right now is so ridiculously over-powered that we (the dps) need absolutely zero help.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vFG1 is a good starting point for your tank. Assuming you have done nFG1 enough to be comfortable with it. On vet, FG1 is simply 'tougher' but manageable. The only 'gotcha' mechanic is that the final boss' red circle can readily instakill a dps or healer who stays in the red when it goes off. That is generally the primary cause of any deaths I see in vFG1.

Disclaimer: In every vet dungeon I have pugged, someone always pops the hm scroll so I can't speak to vet non-hard mode.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Summ0n3r
    Summ0n3r
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

Oh, don't worry about anyone telling you you have a 'selfish build'. As a tank you want to do basically four things:
    - Keep them still as much as possible (This is the single best thing by far you can do to support your group)
    - Stay alive (e.g. learn the visual cues when to block/interrupt they are consistent throughout the entire game).

Anything beyond that is just flavour, so to speak. Do those things well and anyone that complains is absolutely not worth playing with. The DPS potential in this game right now is so ridiculously over-powered that we (the dps) need absolutely zero help.

thx!! any tips on interupting? i always push my interupt buttons when i see them pop up on the screen but a lot of the time it feels like it did nothing?

we ran vFG-1 and v-eldon root ii with pretty much no problems which is def thx to the experienced guys with us that were nice enough to spend the time to warn us of any mechanics we needed to watch for.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I found myself in similar circumstances as I was levelling. I was daunted by the prospect of entering vet dungeon queues, I feared I would not be good enough.

My advice, don't wait, just take the plunge, queue up and start the learning process ASAP. Better yet, tackle vet dungeons with a dedicated group of guild mates.

For me there are 3 levels, which get progressively more challenging to tackle...

1: Base game vet dungeons.
    2: Base game vet dungeons number 2 (vet City of Ash 2 for instance).
    3: DLC vet dungeons.

There is a marked step up to DLC. As ever, one of the major keys to completing more difficult content, is to know the mechanics. That comes with time and practice... & you can also check out content provider guides.
    Edited by Grianasteri on July 26, 2019 9:24AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thx!! any tips on interupting? i always push my interupt buttons when i see them pop up on the screen but a lot of the time it feels like it did nothing?

we ran vFG-1 and v-eldon root ii with pretty much no problems which is def thx to the experienced guys with us that were nice enough to spend the time to warn us of any mechanics we needed to watch for.
    Most bosses can not be interrupted or only interrupted at some mechanics like abilities with cast time. it works well on elite adds however and many of them can knock your down if not blocked or interupted.

All about mechanics is recommended for this :)

Else I would ask in guild for players to do pledges this tend to work out well, the pledges rotates so you will get all dungeons over time, pledges is also an nice time if you farm gear in dungeons.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're welcome.

The cue to interrupt is visualised by 'red sunbeams' emanating off the enemy. This is universal on all enemies in the game so you can practice on easy/obvious ones to get an idea, both visually and mechanically, how it works. Such enemies like Storm Atronachs around the ruined Dark Anchors in Craglorn come to mind as one such, they have an interruptible frontal aoe attack. Additionally you can open up the Combat section of the Help window (F1 for default) and check out the 'Interrupts' section, it has a picture of the 'red line radiating'.

Oh also whilst in the Combat section of the Help window, if unsure you can see what a heavy attack looks like: Golden lines radiating. The picture they have there is very clear of a daedra about to deal a heavy attack.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some thoughts:
    • In normal-mode easier dungeons, it is very rare to get one-shot killed. In vet mode that's a much greater danger.
    • You should never, ever do a vet dungeon that you aren't already comfortable in in normal mode.
    • If it's your first time in a dungeon in vet mode, ask the group not to set off hard mode, perhaps unless you've had an easy time in the dungeon to that point. Some groups will even listen. :)
    • Trash mobs have enough health in vet dungeons -- commonly over 100K -- that it can be worth the trouble for a tank to chain them into the AoE area. (But the most popular AoEs are getting nerfed in Update 23.)
    • Block the Warden in City of Ash 1 so that his platform doesn't get covered with fire.
    • Spindleclutch 1 is much harder on vet mode than it "should" be, solely because the final bosses' cc attack is very hard to identify and block in time. (Some people think this is due to a never-fixed bug making the needed reaction time be 10X shorter than intended.)
    • If you stand in the Fanged Menace's AoE in Arx Corinium, she heals herself. More generally, boss self-heals rarely matter in normal mode, but can be more of a problem in vet.
    • If you stand in the water in the last boss fight in Arx Corinium, you get shocked.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 22, 2019 12:24PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some thoughts:
    • In normal-mode easier dungeons, it is very rare to get one-shot killed. In vet mode that's a much greater danger.
    • You should never, ever do a vet dungeon that you aren't already comfortable in in normal mode.
    • If it's your first time in a dungeon in vet mode, ask the group not to set off hard mode, perhaps unless you've had an easy time in the dungeon to that point. Some groups will even listen. :)
    • Trash mobs have enough health in vet dungeons -- commonly over 100K -- that it can be worth the trouble for a tank to chain them into the AoE area. (But the most popular AoEs are getting nerfed in Update 23.)
    • Block the Warden in City of Ash 1 so that his platform doesn't get covered with fire.
    • Spindleclutch 1 is much harder on vet mode than it "should" be, solely because the final bosses' cc attack is very hard to identify and block in time. (Some people think this is due to a never-fixed bug making the needed reaction time be 10X shorter than intended.)
    • If you stand in the Fanged Menace's AoE in Arx Corinium, she heals herself. More generally, boss self-heals rarely matter in normal mode, but can be more of a problem in vet.
    • If you stand in the water in the last boss fight in Arx Corinium, you get shocked.
    You could try HM, an wipe does not matter much, it depend on group, if run has been smooth so far HM tend to not be much of an issue expect the 2 dungeons tend to have an requirement rather than an scroll.
    Banish cell 2 require you to have 3 daedrots alive at end of fight, standard is that you as tank pull them away from group while DD handle the boss, how this is done depend on dps. Fungal 2 you can not hide inside the protective dome, this require an sturdy group or an decent healer. Its also hard for melee focused groups.
    Banish cell 1 is also one of the vet one dungeons with an annoying one shot but should not worry you as an tank much.

And yes an stated, the best you can do to increase group dps is to chain in pull in ranged DD and healers.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be fine on those two dungeons especially if you've done them on normal and know mechanics
  • fossoyer
    fossoyer
    ✭✭✭
    My Tank is 170 cp, all vet pledges no dlc can be done easly if dd are good enough.
    Try fg1,coa1.
    Spindle 1 end boss can be hard for a beginner.
    Edited by fossoyer on July 23, 2019 9:04AM