The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Re-learning Magplar

vonknobby
vonknobby
I played my Magplar for the longest time as my dedicated healer for both PvE and PvP. Over the last couple weeks I have been messing with builds, to be better suited for small scale PvP (dps). The issue I am running into is that, I am one: doing tons of damage but dying almost instantly, or two: fairly tanky but not being able to kill targets effectively.

Obviously I know this is a balancing act with all classes. Just seeing if there are any Magplar mains, willing to share their favorite gear/ ability setups.

Side note is that I currently play non-cp PvP.
🍺[PC|NA] "Futz Puckerz" [AD|PvX]🍺 Recruiting New, Returning, and Veteran players.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using my magplar a lot lately. I have been using a few different set ups depending on the situation I'm in.

My main thing I am using is
    Auroran thunder (depths of Mal drop)
    Swift set
    Pirate skeleton monster set

I never swap out the thunder set (very powerful set) but I use vicious death, (my wife is going to try bright throats), and monster sets I also use is skoria and grothdar (bombing only for groth).

I swap around a lot of moves often but I always keep topple charge (instant proc on thunder set). Always use sweeps as well.

I switch between resto staff/ shield and sword on healing bar, always lightning staff on front bar.

If this sounds good I can break down the setup even further for you but it is a lot of info lol.

PS do you play on PS4?
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    I have been using my magplar a lot lately. I have been using a few different set ups depending on the situation I'm in.

My main thing I am using is
    Auroran thunder (depths of Mal drop)
    Swift set
    Pirate skeleton monster set

I never swap out the thunder set (very powerful set) but I use vicious death, (my wife is going to try bright throats), and monster sets I also use is skoria and grothdar (bombing only for groth).

I swap around a lot of moves often but I always keep topple charge (instant proc on thunder set). Always use sweeps as well.

I switch between resto staff/ shield and sword on healing bar, always lightning staff on front bar.

If this sounds good I can break down the setup even further for you but it is a lot of info lol.

PS do you play on PS4?

I play on PC, I saw Hack the Minotaur running that build, looks like it could be fun. Auroran's proc seems to line up well with Templar's rotation.
    🍺[PC|NA] "Futz Puckerz" [AD|PvX]🍺 Recruiting New, Returning, and Veteran players.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One thing as a templar you have to adapt to is being focused. What I do is bloodspawn and transmutation plus a weapon set, or bloodspawn and spinners with a healing weapon set. Pirate smelly works too, but I prefer BS for the stamina sustain.

That’s the foundation for all the builds I play.

For small group don’t worry about not being able to kill anyone solo, you shouldn’t be picking your own targets anyways unless you’re a full damage dealer. Best to find a melee and follow them around and assist them, throw some healing too especially if they’re cc’d.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 5, 2019 6:17PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    Iskiab wrote: »
    One thing as a templar you have to adapt to is being focused. What I do is bloodspawn and transmutation plus a weapon set, or bloodspawn and spinners with a healing weapon set. Pirate smelly works too, but I prefer BS for the stamina sustain.

For small group don’t worry about not being able to kill anyone solo, you shouldn’t be picking your own targets anyways unless you’re a full damage dealer. Best to find a melee and follow them around and assist them, throw some healing too especially if they’re cc’d.

I was thinking of trying out Pirate Skelly for solo or lack of healer play. I am going mostly for DPS, outside of honor the dead, and ritual.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vonknobby wrote: »

I was thinking of trying out Pirate Skelly for solo or lack of healer play. I am going mostly for DPS, outside of honor the dead, and ritual.

Even with a healer it’s a good set. What drives healers nuts isn’t defile, it’s people who go from 100-0 health before they can get a single heal off.

I’d use a healing Ult too, they can turn the tide of a big battle.

I’d probably add healing ward and the BRP resto staff or mutagen plus the maelstrom resto staff for sustain on your back bar. Pen’s king for damage so I like spinners. If you don’t want a weapon set then harness magicka’s great.

Harness is okayish on a normal spec, where it performs really well is in tanky builds because it lasts longer and returns more magicka. Plus harness right before you engage gives you extra time to force the other player to go defensive so you don’t get stuck in your own htd spamming to stay alive downward cycle, if players see a close to execute range player it’s like a feeding frenzy and everyone will pile on.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 5, 2019 6:32PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby

Even with a healer it’s a good set. What drives healers nuts isn’t defile, it’s people who go from 100-0 health before they can get a single heal off.

I’d use a healing Ult too, they can turn the tide of a big battle.

I’d probably add healing ward and the BRP resto staff or mutagen plus the maelstrom resto staff for sustain on your back bar. Pen’s king for damage so I like spinners. If you don’t want a weapon set then harness magicka’s great.

Harness is okayish on a normal spec, where it performs really well is in tanky builds because it lasts longer and returns more magicka. Plus harness right before you engage gives you extra time to force the other player to go defensive so you don’t get stuck in your own htd spamming to stay alive downward cycle, if players see a close to execute range player it’s like a feeding frenzy and everyone will pile on.

Yeah I have noticed this happening a lot. Once I start having to spam the heal, it's typically only a matter of time.. Light armor seems too good to pass up for magicka. I've been running SnB, is resto better in general?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hum, I’m not sure. I like destro/resto for access to more abilities but if you’re only going to use class abilities S&B is probably better. I think it’s a preference thing, where people who like S&B are more glass canon otherwise, and I prefer more tanky all the time.

Ward ally performs better reactively where you get the bonus shield from low health, harness magicka is better proactively when you’re already full health.

I can’t stress enough how nice shields are when you build tankier. On a glass canon they’re meh, you’re going to die anyways. Add protective trait jewellery, a defensive monster set and with 5 light shields become really effective. Especially with the BRP resto staff giving major vitality; ward ally > HtD for a big heal boosted by 30%.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For open world S&B back bar is definitely the way to go but you have to build some stam sustain esp if in light. Which you definitely want to run since its very tough to kill in heavy for magicka build. You can run heavy if you want to heal or be support and that lets you run a little less stam sustain.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally think heavy armour’s terrible for all mag classes. The heavy armour passives are a bit better then a full defensive set, and light armour passives are a bit better then a full offensive set.

I’d rather get my mitigation from anywhere other then wearing 5 heavy, including using the resists mundus. I’d rather all protective on jewellery, defensive trait on my weapons and the resists mundus then wear 5 heavy. You get a lot of pen and crit from 5 light.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 5, 2019 8:05PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • eol
    eol
    ✭✭✭
    I play a balanced Magicka Templar - damage and healing - in open world PvP. So keep that in mind, that I am not playing a main healer. I used to go with heavy armor because of survivability but after being gone from the game for 4 months or so, I came back and switched to light armor. Reason being the defensive sets (especially Buffer of the Swift) are now so good, you can switch to LA and have *better* defense than HA. Now, if you don't want to wear a defensive set but want LA, then you may have problems staying alive.

But if you get magicka from heavy attacks, or have a specific build that doesn't allow a defensive set, then HA can still work. Alcast has a nice build up that uses HA.

I love 1H/shield on the backbar. That alone, with the 1H/S reflect skill, makes a huge difference, especially against sorcs and ranged magicka. But you will need stamina for that, and if you go LA you wont be getting the magicka/stamina replenishment from the HA passive. I use tri-stats on my big armor pieces to help boost my health and stamina. Alcast's build uses Shacklebreaker which is a great set for 1H/S backbar. I have a build that needs the set bonuses from two other sets (other than Swift) so I cant use Shacklebreaker.

Good luck. Go Magplars!
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    Personally think heavy armour’s terrible for all mag classes. The heavy armour passives are a bit better then a full defensive set, and light armour passives are a bit better then a full offensive set.

I’d rather get my mitigation from anywhere other then wearing 5 heavy, including using the resists mundus. I’d rather all protective on jewellery, defensive trait on my weapons and the resists mundus then wear 5 heavy. You get a lot of pen and crit from 5 light.

In process of researching Protective, so that'll give me another option when it's done. Should help hopefully lol.

What do you all think of just running full damage sets like Bright-throat/ Spinner's and a defensive monster?
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

In process of researching Protective, so that'll give me another option when it's done. Should help hopefully lol.

What do you all think of just running full damage sets like Bright-throat/ Spinner's and a defensive monster?

I run that exactly+ bs and maelstrom resto backbar.
    Double bloody mara a d full tri glyphs.
    I hate blockspamming HOTD, so rapid regen helps me stay on my frontbar for.much longer.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

For most magicka classes like warden, NB or Sorc you can but I don’t think you can easily get away with it as a templar.

If you’re full dps maybe, but as a healer you’ll need more defense because you’ll be focused and lack escape tools, even if you aren’t they’ll assume you are. Wardens and NBs with dark cloak have minor protection and it makes a huge difference.

As a dps yolo: pirate smelly, bright throat, spinners, and the BRP resto staff on your back bar is what I run and really like it.

Trans 3 piece on your front bar with the masters destro, 5 piece trans on the back is another good setup, especially for pure ranged. Just put ritual on your back bar where you’re getting the 5 piece to spread the crit resists.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 5, 2019 9:37PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think heavy is good if you run dedicated heals/support. But if you want to do any kind of dps and actually be successful then light armor (5-1-1 or 5-2) is best. However that doesn’t mean you need to have low mitigation. Monster sets that give you armor buffs are good as well as the protective trait on jewelry. You might even consider being a Nord for the racial mitigation bonus.

Spinner and bright throat is a good combo. You can run a spinner destro on one bar and because you don’t need the penetration on your healing/buff bar you can run an arena resto if you like, or willpower. BRP resto could work here, or vma resto for extra sustain.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

I hate blockspamming HOTD, so rapid regen helps me stay on my frontbar for.much longer.
    How much stam does this give you?

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally my temp ban is over!

If looking for efficient sources of defense, here's the list currently tested:
    - minor maim
    - crit resist of 70%
    - major protection
    - block.
    - speed

Everything else is a lesson on why everyone is running vulnerabilities/penetration or why bleeds make you their submissive.

Reasons why these sources are so good:
    - maim occurs first in the calculation. It's potency isn't subject to the same diminishing returns as other % based Mitigation. It's also multiplicative against Vulnerability always, so you'll always get 15% reduction.
    - people have 1.8-1.9 modifer now with minor force. To put that into perspective, even with 3300 crit resistance you are still taking 42% extra DMG on crits. That's like being hit by incap and 22% from a CP star except for free lol. You take only 20% extra DMG from crits if you run 4k or above. You do still need regular mitigation, but block/dodge/Templar minor protection goes alot way.
    - major protection is nice chunk of Mitigation, but it's subtracted against any Vulnerability on you. For example, minor Vulnerability debuff means sets like pirate Skeleton is actually only 22% mitigation instead of 30 lol. It's still nice, but I wouldn't give up something like blood spawn or valkyn/grothdarr for.
    - block OP. Imagine you had 50% mitigation through 3 defense sets, now imagine you having 50% * 30% because you pressed one button while wearing ice staff/snb weapon. And it stops cc attempts on everything except fossilize/rune cage/fear. Block OP.
    - speed is funny because you force Los tactics and funnel 1v1 fights. Those that don't like speed haven't used it to dance around wardens. It's really potent if you can play correctly.

DMG Templar is the hardest spec to play but can be rewarding.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I think heavy is good if you run dedicated heals/support. But if you want to do any kind of dps and actually be successful then light armor (5-1-1 or 5-2) is best. However that doesn’t mean you need to have low mitigation. Monster sets that give you armor buffs are good as well as the protective trait on jewelry. You might even consider being a Nord for the racial mitigation bonus.

Spinner and bright throat is a good combo. You can run a spinner destro on one bar and because you don’t need the penetration on your healing/buff bar you can run an arena resto if you like, or willpower. BRP resto could work here, or vma resto for extra sustain.

I fi
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Firstmep wrote: »

How much stam does this give you?

Just under 14k in cp.

You prob think im crazy, but without having to use my stam for block i really only use it for cc break and the occasional tap block or dodgeroll.
    Also running RAT makes dealing with snares and roots much easier.
    Im not running a facetank type templar build though so its defo not for everyone, i often LOS aganist more than 2-3 guys.

I used to run 17k stam, but tbh nowadays i dont feel like my stam gets pressured as much, especially since im not wasting my time holding block and spamming HOTD on my backbar.
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    Minno wrote: »
    Finally my temp ban is over!

If looking for efficient sources of defense, here's the list currently tested:
    - minor maim
    - crit resist of 70%
    - major protection
    - block.
    - speed

Everything else is a lesson on why everyone is running vulnerabilities/penetration or why bleeds make you their submissive.

Reasons why these sources are so good:
    - maim occurs first in the calculation. It's potency isn't subject to the same diminishing returns as other % based Mitigation. It's also multiplicative against Vulnerability always, so you'll always get 15% reduction.
    - people have 1.8-1.9 modifer now with minor force. To put that into perspective, even with 3300 crit resistance you are still taking 42% extra DMG on crits. That's like being hit by incap and 22% from a CP star except for free lol. You take only 20% extra DMG from crits if you run 4k or above. You do still need regular mitigation, but block/dodge/Templar minor protection goes alot way.
    - major protection is nice chunk of Mitigation, but it's subtracted against any Vulnerability on you. For example, minor Vulnerability debuff means sets like pirate Skeleton is actually only 22% mitigation instead of 30 lol. It's still nice, but I wouldn't give up something like blood spawn or valkyn/grothdarr for.
    - block OP. Imagine you had 50% mitigation through 3 defense sets, now imagine you having 50% * 30% because you pressed one button while wearing ice staff/snb weapon. And it stops cc attempts on everything except fossilize/rune cage/fear. Block OP.
    - speed is funny because you force Los tactics and funnel 1v1 fights. Those that don't like speed haven't used it to dance around wardens. It's really potent if you can play correctly.

DMG Templar is the hardest spec to play but can be rewarding.

Thanks for the input, I also read through a lot of your post, I saw it only after I had made this thread..
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    @Minno what us your preferred setup currently?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want stam sustain I’d go shacklebreaker and bloodspawn. Between the two you’ll have a lot of stamina for small scale.

Punks like to cc on cooldown a lot, you can never have too much stamina.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btb/crafty/BS or skelly, Btb/shacklebreaker/bs or skelly, or Crafty/shacklebreaker/BS or Skelly in CP campaigns...run at least 1-2 protective, don’t be a vamp, slap some tristat enchants on, and always run a SnB or Icestaff on ur back bar. There are some other great setups but I find these to be the best all around for new and veteran magplars...

Edit: Don’t forget to run RAT!!!!
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on July 6, 2019 2:29AM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Btb/crafty/BS or skelly, Btb/shacklebreaker/bs or skelly, or Crafty/shacklebreaker/BS or Skelly in CP campaigns...run at least 1-2 protective, don’t be a vamp, slap some tristat enchants on, and always run a SnB or Icestaff on ur back bar. There are some other great setups but I find these to be the best all around for new and veteran magplars...

Edit: Don’t forget to run RAT!!!!

You prefer Crafty over Spinner's (no-cp)? I love recommends, just curious.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I found crafty a fotm thing because it’s new. Even classes like magblades and wardens tried combining it with Necropence because on paper it looks great having these massive magicka pools, but the problem is for damage pen’s king.

Spinners is a pretty small total now, so I like sharpened weapons and 5x light. I’ve found it’s more important to sustain and have enough mitigation you don’t die every time you’re stunned and being hit with a burst combo.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 6, 2019 3:29AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    I found crafty a fotm thing because it’s new. Even classes like magblades and wardens tried combining it with Necro, because on paper it looks great having these massive magicka pools, but the problem is for damage pen’s king.

Spinners is a pretty small total now, so I like sharpened weapons and 5x light. I’ve found it’s more important to sustain and enough mitigation you don’t die every time you’re stunned and being hit with a burst combo.

That has definitely been a key problem for me...
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I found crafty a fotm thing because it’s new. Even classes like magblades and wardens tried combining it with Necro, because on paper it looks great having these massive magicka pools, but the problem is for damage pen’s king.

Spinners is a pretty small total now, so I like sharpened weapons and 5x light. I’ve found it’s more important to sustain and enough mitigation you don’t die every time you’re stunned and being hit with a burst combo.

That has definitely been a key problem for me...

Yea, muck around with shields. It’s one of those things where on paper a heal is just as good or better, but the second someone’s in execute range it feels like everyone stops and spams executes at you.

Death matches are like swimming with sharks, can’t let them smell blood.

Even healing ults aren’t enough. When I see someone planted using one I typically dot them up and debuff them just waiting for the effect to wear off for a quick kill.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 6, 2019 3:34AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno what us your preferred setup currently?

I am currently using bright/valkyn/transmutation+2pc will power front bar. I have 24k health as imperial so I ended up going ghastly eye bowl drink for 2k raw Regen lol. My effective Regen with imperial passive+ele drain is like 2733 and can be 3k if I use a mag draining poison lol. It's so high I can use vitality pots and restoring rune so I have access to a decent hot that is missing on magplar, major vitality that replaces our old major mending passive, and have 1k effective Stam recovery.

I am also 2x protective 1 Swift on my jewels. Seems to be the sweet spot for how I play.

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spinners vs crafty comes down to how you plan on utilizing your back bar. The difference in damage is small enough, while the difference in healing is large enough to point me towards crafty in open world.

But, certain play styles are built to thrive on the utility of a back bar weapon like masters though.

Plus there's the option to use a shield with craft/ tristats while with spinners/tristat you're shield isnt effective enough. My shield, when i rarely decide to slot it, can exceed 10k.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on July 6, 2019 5:40PM
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Spinners vs crafty comes down to how you plan on utilizing your back bar. The difference in damage is small enough, while the difference in healing is large enough to point me towards crafty in open world.

But, certain play styles are built to thrive on the utility of a back bar weapon like masters though.

Plus there's the option to use a shield with craft/ tristats while with spinners/tristat you're shield isnt effective enough. My shield, when i rarely decide to slot it, can exceed 10k.

Definitely gives me something to think about thank you
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just throw pirate skeleton and you're basically immortal on a magplar.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    Just throw pirate skeleton and you're basically immortal on a magplar.

I actually just started using this lol. Still messing with my 2 5 piece sets. Was playing with a light set of Fort brass and Bright-throat but the damage feels pretty sub par, but spinners/ bright-throat was a little too squishy in Cyro.