Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How Do I Start The Stros M'Kai Main Story?

KerinKor
KerinKor
✭✭✭✭✭
My character's in the Dominion so the usual 'Elswyr tutorial -> Coldharbour' via the 'benefactor' quest dropped her on Khenarthi's Roost. Having completed that she went to Bleakrock via the NPC in Devon's Watch and picked up the quest line worked fine (forget how) ... but having completed that I can't get the Stros M'Kai quest to start.

I've read 'guides' that say you talk to Mihayya outside the house a Covenant character will get dropped in after Coldharbour (I assume that's still what happens in the game today) but she doesn't offer the quest. I've read 'guides' that say you have to talk to Tumma-Shah on the Spearhead but she won't give me it either!

I used GIlzir to take me from Daggerfall to Stros M'Kai but he didn't give me the quest.

I teleported directly to Stros M'Kai but that didn't trigger anything.

I looked around Port Hunding but no quest giver's there.

I picked up 'Buried Secrets' just by the Wayshrine when I arrived.

So, in this bright 'Tamriel Unlimited' world (I've started playing again after stopping only a few months after it launched) how do I play this third opening story line?
Edited by KerinKor on July 3, 2019 2:37PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Buried Secrets, that's one of three quests that's next in the questline.

Try following that and the other two quests. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Stros_M'Kai
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't tried this already, from the ship run down the docks and turn left at the end. You'll see Captain Kaleen and Lambur arguing about how they should be in Bethnik, but lack a crew to get there. Talk to Kaleen. Hopefully, that will trigger the main quest.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't realise that "Buried Secrets" was supposedly dependent on "The Broken Spearhead" which I haven't got. I went to speak to Naramo and he progressed that quest.

I went to look for Kaleen on the small platform I remember her being on by the jetty with Lambur but they aren't there, I can't see Kaleens anywhere in the Port.
    Edited by KerinKor on July 3, 2019 2:52PM
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it progressed Nerano's quest, do it and then you will be sent to Kaleen when you finish for Nerano.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going back to the platform where Kaleen should be, her seat is there and I see other PCs standing in front of it so I presume they're able to see and interact with Kaleen.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the problem is that you've picked up 'Buried Secrets'. Neramo is needed for the next part of the quest, so since you've already met him, you won't be able to start the story via Mihayya or Kaleen (Tumma-Shah is only the quest-giver if you started in Stros M'kai as a Covenant character).

If you drop 'Buried Secrets', you should be able to get the starting quest 'The Broken Spearhead' off Captain Kaleen in Port Hunding. She'll be talking to an orc named Lambur by the docks.

Alternatively, just complete Neramo's quest and you'll be directed to Kaleen afterwards via the quest 'The Spearhead's Captain'. Either order should work, you'll just get slightly different dialogue.

I hope that solves it!
    Edited by ListerJMC on July 3, 2019 3:01PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so something more that's strange .. I went to the Spearhead in Stros M'Kai and in Kaleen's cabin I found Nicolene who I remember from the story-line whose dialog talks about the mutiny having been supressed and Kaleen re-gaining the ship.

In other words, this NPC is in the state she'd be in if the story-line is complete!

[edit]

I posted this before seeing your reply ListerJMC. Having started "Buried Secrets" I'll complete that as you suggest and see what happens.

Thanks.
    Edited by KerinKor on July 3, 2019 3:03PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (assuming nothing is messed up) Can you access the feature that was added last year? A list appears when you open your map. Interactable text appears under the list, "Open Zone Guide", and if you click on it, it can guide you through the main story by clicking on "Continue Zone Story".

Edited by Dojohoda on July 3, 2019 3:30PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things are working now. :)

@ListerJMC - it worked just like you described, after completing the Naramo quest I discovered quite by chance the "The Spearhead's Captain" is now in my quest log.

@Dojohoda - thanks very much for mentioning that 'continue' button. I have looked at the zone guide for a couple of things but had totally failed to see that button at the bottom, thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks to all those who replied with helpful comments, I seem to be back on track. :)