Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Map Zoom on Consoles

StarGeezer
StarGeezer
Soul Shriven
In my brief time playing the game on the PS4, I was rather perplexed why I couldn't seem to zoom in to the map to any degree of usable granularity. Between the too-far-out zoom state and the ever-present "sticky" icons (which I wish you could turn off or toggle), it was making setting waypoints a bit difficult. I tend to use my map a lot, not least of the reasons why is I have a horrible sense of direction, both in games and IRL. I noticed other console players could zoom in much closer on the "bottom level" maps than I could, and for the life of me could not figure out why. I did some digging around, found a clue on an old Reddit post, and did some messing around on my own.

Here's what I found out: the map on 4K machines (ala the PS4, and conceivably the 4K XB1 consoles) is, whether by design or bug, limited in how far in it can zoom. Although it pained me to do it, I found by going into the PS4's Settings > Sound and Screen and selecting the video configuration and bumping the resolution down to 1080 and turning off HDR, the functionality of the zoom is basically doubled. The game plays the same (perhaps a bit faster, since it may be benefiting from some extra frames in the lower resolution), and once you get over the heartbreak of not having HDR running, it actually still looks pretty amazing.

It'd be interesting if any 4K XBox users could check and confirm this on their machines as well. And although I'm going by largely anecdotal evidence, it would be nice if a dev could check on this and provide meaningful input on whether this is simply a limitation of the hardware that they had to program around or if it's simply an oversight when displaying at 4K resolutions.

Thanks for your time.

PS Mini-map and add-on support please? B)
Tim the StarGeezer
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the game is native at 1080, your not really losing much by choosing that resolution.

I do wonder why you have to turn off HDR to change resolution.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• StarGeezer
    StarGeezer
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not certain, and I was fiddling with both, so don't necessarily take that part as gospel. But it did seem to make a difference in how far in I could zoom the map. I'll experiment more with the HDR just to see if it makes any difference.
    Tim the StarGeezer
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    StarGeezer wrote: »
    Mini-map and add-on support please? B)

Ask Sony. We don't have addons on consoles because of them.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP