Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Effective ways to make gold?

Thats_So_Wizard
I’m cp 474 and would like to make gold effectively.Just wondering what methods there are and how to go about doing them.
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to grind, and know +/- the market.

For example, you can grind Mother's Sorrow armor and sell Divines/Impen/Infused(big pieces), since those are the ones more likely to sell, Probably around 10-20k each piece. Necropotence is a good one to farm as well. Bright Throat's in impen sells really well too.

You can buy mats and sell crafted items, like Potions and Glyphs, those are the ones that usually sell. You can try your luck buying raw mats and sell gold tempers.

Be sure to do your craft writs on as many characters as possible. It's basically free gold, and you can get a lot of gold mats if you do it with 8+ characters. There's an addon that automates a lot of the work so you take 2m each char to do it assuming you already have mats and they are already in a town like Vivec City.
  • Irenic
    Irenic
    Soul Shriven
    I've managed to make 3m in around 3-4 weeks without really trying hard at all.

Join a trading guild.

First thing is finding out what sells for a lot and is actually in demand. I farm motifs from dragons in Elsweyr, I've sold at least 5 motifs worth 100k or more each, sold one for 650k and a bunch of 20-30k ones. They also drop dragon blood and bile which sell for 500-1k each and is guaranteed from each dragon. Keep in mind though, prices are dropping on these things rather quickly due to popularity and undercutting.

Always keep an eye on zone chat for "WTS" and offer an extremely low price. You would be surprised how many people don't know the value of the items they are trying to sell. I strongly encourage you to get TTC (Tamriel Trade Center) as well which requires a small client that you boot up before loading the game. It tells you the average listing of items based on a huge database of listings so you will know how much to offer and how much you can flip it for. Being in a trading guild is a huge must for this, it's very hard to sell items in zone chat which is why people often end up selling them for a lot less than they are worth in zone.

Another strategy is selling materials, but contrary to what the guides tell you, you don't have to run around zones and focus only collecting materials, while you're farming for other things, (for example Inferno Staff of a Mother's Sorrow which goes for up to 350k for precise in Deshaan) grab every material you see. A lot of alchemy ingredients sell for 400 a piece like corn flower.

Another great way when you have maybe 300-500k saved at least is flipping. This requires a guild trader. Use TTC to check for extremely low prices on high value items like dreugh wax or set weapons that are in high demand and go grab it, then flip it in your trader. You have to be quick and if the price is stupid low you'll have to be quicker.

Flipping is how people are rich in ESO. All of these people with millions of gold aren't running around killing world bosses and farming weapons all day, they're flipping with TTC and they're in trading guilds. This is the best way but requires speed and knowledge of what sells.

If you need a trading guild I have one in VVardenfell and Murkmire, would be glad to help you out. I'm @iure
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m cp 474 and would like to make gold effectively.Just wondering what methods there are and how to go about doing them.

The most effective way to farm gold that I have encountered, is to run around public dungeons killing everything again and again. In half an hour of running around, you can make several thousand gold.

Running dungeons on normal also generates decent gold.

Selling items in a guild store can also generate a lot of gold. However there is of course no guarantee someone will buy what you're selling, and you need to get the stuff to sell in the first place. I put a dozen motifs in over the weekend, all of them sold quickly and I made about 30k gold. Dont be greedy and put stuff in at reasonable prices, this tends to get quick sales.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are many, many ways to make gold in the game. So picks one that you enjoy.

I work at home and have two screens for my computer, so logging in frequently for hireling emails is easy for me. Crafting writs are very lucrative, but I've finally gotten tired of them. I'm doing a bit of flipping, but my heart isn't really in it.

Long ago, I made and sold items to use for trait research. That helped get my initial grubstake. But it's been years since I bothered with that.

I'm in several top trading guilds. There are lots of low-price/high-margin items one can sell in those. So I do some of that.

Once per max character, you can go out and farm the few quest reward items that sell well (or keep the item to use for yourself). I've done that mainly with the Argonian Muckminder (that may lose value now, however, with the nerf to AoEs) and Materre's Bodkin.

Sometimes I find it relaxing to run around and pick up mats in a nice location.

Etc.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farm your soul out, not joking, this is the way
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are good at PvP, then:

(A) Farm Tel Var. Very situational these days, however if / when you can squirrel a boss away under favorable conditions (most flags turned), you'll easily make 10K+ Tel Var in a few minutes = 20K to 25K gold from selling Hakeijo / Prismatic enchants. Apothecary Parcels can yield even better exchange rates, but getting the value out of those is more hassle.

(B) Know how to convert your AP. The baseline is the value of Dawn Prism, which you can always buy and sell for gold or (better) sell Triune jewelry for research. However, since Rewards for the Worthy were changed, many Cyrodiil sets have gone up in value. I sold a blue Fury necklace for 28K, which comes from a random-ish box, sold by the Elite gear vendor at the base. Buffer of the Swift also sells well, regardless of trait, particularly weapons. This comes from Cropsford. I'm sure there are other sets.

The Golden weekend vendor used to set the AP exchange rate, but unless she sells Necropotence again, the gold jewelry from that vendor isn't terribly competitive anymore for AP conversion.

Spell Strategist jewelry and destro staves from Rewards for the Worthy and end of campaign still sell for decent amounts.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly I:

- farm and sell high demanded gear
    - farm and sell raw mats/fish/alchemy ingredients
    - farm and sell golden mats
    - farm and selll motif pages
    - do daily writs (I get 36k daily from running daily writs with 8 chars, besides: mats, gold mats, survey reports, items to sell , intricate items)
    - pickpocketing (steal n sell green/blue/purple quality items)
    - sell furnishings (blue/purple/gold) n furniture
    - buy n sell gold vendor/luxury vendor items
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell stuff for more gold than you spend.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I just focus on playing the game normally and have a couple good trading guilds I'm part of where I can offload things I don't need. I don't find it fun to spend all of my time not playing the game and just trying to earn gold. Here are some of the basic elements that happen as part of my normal gameplay:
    • Crafting Writs. I don't always do these, but if the character I am questing on happens to hop into a town, he or she will go ahead and do them. You get several sources of income from these: (1) gold from completing the quest, (2) gold from selling materials you harvest from surveys, (3) gold from selling gold upgrade materials, (3) gold from selling ornate gear, (4) gold from selling intricate gear to players who, for some reason I have yet to figure out, regularly buy this for really silly prices.
    • Harvesting Materials. Unless I'm really focused on what I'm doing, I pick up every material node I come across while questing. This works best if you have a craft bag, but if you don't, it just means you will be selling a lot more of the materials you pick up to keep your inventory space free. You can sell the processed materials and upgrade materials, or you can sell them raw.
    • Bad Deeds. Only some of my characters are into nefarious deeds, but the gold you can make off of legerdemain is nothing to sneeze at. If you do a significant crime spree, you can pull in over 30K by selling mostly blue treasures. The trick is that you need to get your legerdemain skill line up to increase the ration of blues to greens. The Thieves' Guild skill that gives you 10% more from selling helps too.
    • Sell/Deconstruct Gear. Selling gear you don't want to a vendor adds up after a while. If it is blue or above, I usually deconstruct it to sell or use the materials instead. In some cases, I will put set items up on the guild store but I don't really pay attention to the market on that very much. It's much harder to do that on console anyway and just not worth my time.
    • Urns, urns, urns. While I'm not as obsessive about this as I used to be, check all the backpacks, all the chests, all the drawers, all the urns. In them you'll find various things you can sell the most important of which is furnishing recipes. If you aren't into housing, you can just sell all of those on your guild trader and it makes decent coin.
    • Questing Gold. Most of what I do in this game is questing/storytelling, and while the gold reward from questing really isn't that great, it adds up after a while.
    • Perfect Roe. Some of my characters are hunter types and will stop to fish at fishing holes they run across. From this I sometimes get this thing called perfect roe which for some reason people want to buy for a non-trivial sum of gold. Lately I've been able to sell them for 10-12k on xbox NA and I get anywhere from 2-4 of them per 200 fish or so.
    • Motifs. Most of the time I'm buying these, not selling these, but when I get duplicates I sell them. Since I'm often motif hunting, I know the market here pretty well and on very rare occasions have done some flipping, but I kind of hate flipping and flippers so I've only done that a couple times. Profit here varies widely.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do your writs