Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do Breton 1h swords have such large grips on their hilts?

Eraldus
Eraldus
✭✭✭✭
bxjGTGi.jpg

Seriously, they look so disproportionate in those swords... They have the same size of two handed variants, lol.

• Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not about the size of the grip, it's about how you use it :wink:
    EU PC
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me, I'll just be over here "can't even"ing
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    It's not about the size of the grip, it's about how you use it :wink:
    _77670989_freud-engraving.jpg
    :p;):trollface:
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not gonna' lie but Breton swords look really cool on the hip.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but did you see those warriors from Hammerfell? They have curved swords. Curved... swords...
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vulsahdaal wrote: »

Yeah, but did you see those warriors from Hammerfell? They have curved swords. Curved... swords...

I mean, I am one of those warriors from Hammerfell!

Mind you, these days I prefer a pair of broardheaded daggers and a bow.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Eraldus
    Eraldus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm just glad this is exclusive to Breton swords only... yikes!
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So many jokes here...
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    must be over-compensating....

:#
  • SixVoltCar
    SixVoltCar
    ✭✭✭
    Look up the operating principles of a bull whip, and a lever. Then think of what sword combat is about.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I know the handle is just about as long as the blade itself. Go with the Nord sword it’s much better out of a lot of the blades at least 1handed one is
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of questionable and sometimes even stupid details about equipment and design overall. About horses, for instance. Did you saw their horses? Damn, why their legs are so broken? Or tassets they so like use in armor sets. What they supposed to protect? Why they are positioned so wrong? ZOS artist are talented, but, well, not educated enough in medieval history and biology, I suppose. Though, sometimes they do a really great job. Their gryphons, for example, are great.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are a type of sword known as a *** sword. The grips allow for the use of one or both hands.
  • Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the actual technical name for these swords was deemed unacceptable.
  • Alowishus
    Alowishus
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you know what they say about Bretons with big hands...
    ESO Wishlist: Housing (Thank you!) Jewelrycrafting (Thank you!) Hand-to-hand skill line.
  • LennoxPoodle
    LennoxPoodle
    ✭✭✭
    It's supposed to be a longsword I guess. Their blade is only a bit longer than that of an arming sword (one handed sword or mistakenly called longsword in many fantasy IPs) but the grip is more than double the length for full to handed use. They developed alongside plate armor, just like Breton armor, and were the two handed sword type of the late middle ages, true greatswords being a weapon of the Renaissance.
    The "Illegitimate child" swords @Malprave probably was referring to are often considered a subtype of them, on the smaller end of the spectrum. It is stupid to use them one handed though. You loose every advantage you get from them and the longer grip can actually get in the way.
    I guess they were trying to achieve the plate-armored knight aesthetic, to which the longsword actually belongs.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know what they say 'large hilt grips, large...' :wink:
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eraldus wrote: »
    bxjGTGi.jpg

Seriously, they look so disproportionate in those swords... They have the same size of two handed variants, lol.

Yep. All that skinny blond semi-naked female (sic) needed was a proportionate sword. Fashion FTW.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malprave wrote: »
    They are a type of sword known as a *** sword. The grips allow for the use of one or both hands.
    Hahahahaaaa... the censor a fantasy stape sword designation just because it contains a mildly rude word for a personage born of unmarried parents???
    What's the world coming to when censorship has to "protect us" from THAT!
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eraldus wrote: »
    bxjGTGi.jpg

There are real longswords with 10" (25.4cm) and even 12" (30.4cm) grips.
    Long grips also allow smaller pommels (counterweights) to balance the sword, and that's the base physics since the dawn of humanity.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    There are a lot of questionable and sometimes even stupid details about equipment and design overall. About horses, for instance. Did you saw their horses? Damn, why their legs are so broken? Or tassets they so like use in armor sets. What they supposed to protect? Why they are positioned so wrong? ZOS artist are talented, but, well, not educated enough in medieval history and biology, I suppose. Though, sometimes they do a really great job. Their gryphons, for example, are great.

some pieces of clothing have MASSIVE stitching, like finger-thick
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer