The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

does anyone buy weapons or gear from the NPC traders?

MJallday
MJallday
✭✭✭✭✭
Seriously. 2-5k gold for white items without any traits or 2/3/4/5 price bonuses?

That whole system needs review

Edited by MJallday on June 30, 2019 1:30PM
  • Kynigos
    Kynigos
    ✭✭
    Well,most trading guilds asks you to fill out your slots so new players and new traders put out anything and everything they can.
    Also, if you find something with ridiculous cost it's most likely that the lister is using the trader as storage spaces.
  • Ildun
    Ildun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never saw those crap with filter on
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would assume if people are selling untraited white gear it's for people powerleveling a crafter. You don't get much inspiration desynthing your own crafted gear so their only other options are to craft it on an alt and fill their bank with it, farm it themselves, or buy it. The first 2 are time consuming, idk the going rate, 2-5 k sounds like a lot for a lil inspiration to me, but as long as it's cheaper than NPC vendors it'll sell to someone who has more gold than time.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »
    Seriously. 2-5k gold for white items without any traits or 2/3/4/5 price bonuses?

Man that’s cheap. Why would the WHOLE system need a review. If you don’t want it don’t buy it. If someone DOES want it they shouldn’t be able to because YOU don’t want to buy it.

I’m rich. I’m pretty sure I bought stuff like that to level up certain skill lines...EVERYBODY is a busybody. Geeze...
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry when I say traders I don’t mean guild traders, I mean the in game NPCs (Carpenter, blacksmith etc)
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry when I say traders I don’t mean guild traders, I mean the in game NPCs (Carpenter, blacksmith etc)

Oh, NAW don’t buy THAT crap lol. Sorry, you’re actually right lol.
  • Ildun
    Ildun
    ✭✭✭✭

I see, this problem not only happens to ESO, but a lot of mmorpg nowadays. However ESO is one of the worst, every NPC in same category selling same uselessl and lack of uniqueness crap.

The only things I bought are recipes and provision material, that is when I playing my first character.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you mean guild traders, or NPC vendors?
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

See above - NPC vendors

The guild trader system is ok tbh - although it amazes me some of the variations in pice for the same thing in the sane guild
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

See above - NPC vendors

The guild trader system is ok tbh - although it amazes me some of the variations in pice for the same thing in the sane guild

Better edit the title ^^
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ildun wrote: »

I see, this problem not only happens to ESO, but a lot of mmorpg nowadays. However ESO is one of the worst, every NPC in same category selling same uselessl and lack of uniqueness crap.

The only things I bought are recipes and provision material, that is when I playing my first character.

I think the reason most MMOs go this route is because they want to encourage a more player driven economy. Which is good, in my opinion.
  • BrooksP
    BrooksP
    ✭✭✭
    Ildun wrote: »

I think the reason most MMOs go this route is because they want to encourage a more player driven economy. Which is good, in my opinion.

Which seems counter intuitive, given that originally the player market was mostly limited to inner guild trade. While expanded now it is still restrictive(no this isn't a call for global AH).

While I wouldn't want to see NPC traders expanded to the point of damaging the player market, I wouldn't mind them selling scaled white leveling traited gear. So long as it can't be deconned or researched.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, all NPC vendors are garabage, I can easily list what I'm buying from them: Molibden. Nothing else, never. They are just place to repair and sell junk.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At best I used NPC traders to buy throw away gear when I was levelling as I just couldn't get a drop on that heavy chest at all...

Other than that, NPC vendor gear as the OP describes is trash. Just get a crafted set or two.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only by accident
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thought is that they are in the NPC stores just to fill them out. They are not intended to be sold, but can if someone wants to. They are priced to not compete with players.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think in MMOs the NPC gear vendors are essentially a last resort. They only sell basic gear because the developers don't want you to just farm gold and buy gear from NPCs, they want you to buy it from other players or craft it or get it as drops or whatever else. But if for some reason no other option is working for you then you have a 100% reliable way of getting the right piece/s easily.

In single-player games it makes more sense for NPCs to sell good quality gear because many of those other options aren't there. You can't buy from other players, crafting may not exist or may be much more limited/optional and because bosses don't respawn they often have a guaranteed drop of just one item instead of being farmable to get a whole set. Plus in a lot of (non-TES) games there's clear progression from one area to the next so getting to a new town and gaining access to the merchants there is almost like a form of levelling up and unlocking a new tier of equipment.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NPC traders like the tailors,woodworkers and the fighters guild hall steward etc need a revamp and some relevant gear I have no idea how they would stay in business

these traders need there own 5 piece set that helps beginners maybe like increased exp gain on the 5 piece in white and in training only that would be sold every 10 levels starting at level 1+ and a CP10, CP100, CP150 version etc and obviously the Tailor would only sell light and medium of the set the weaponsmith would have an assortment of weapons of that set etc...

There's all these cool NPC traders in the game and in every zone and nobody really gives them much attention anymore.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously no. The NPC vendors are only supposed to offer basic goods. It’s helpful for a new player but if your going there for serious gear your doing I wrong.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Seriously no. The NPC vendors are only supposed to offer basic goods. It’s helpful for a new player but if your going there for serious gear your doing I wrong.

My point is that It’s not even helpful for a new player
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does anyone buy weapons or gear from the NPC traders?

Not once in 6 years (12 characters). Not one single weapon/gear item ...
    shades.gif

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope
    They sell nothing but expensive junk
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the Unknown boxes when I first started playing.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Once or twice I have, always on a very low level character with a lot of gold, just to get the right weapon and armor types leveling. In hindsight, it probably would have been more efficient to just craft the same items on the low level.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NPCs sell stuff? :hushed:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I buy the recipes I need for daily Provisioning writs because it costs way too much time to run around trying to find them in Guild Stores. Even with TTC simulating a Global AH, it takes a lot of time especially when, by the time you get there, the item isn't there anymore.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never weapons and armor, especially when I was new. It was way too expensive. So were those green unidentified boxes. I usually used mismatched drops, crafted if I had the skill, or suffered a lot :D I have no clue why those items are on any vendor.
    Edited by jainiadral on June 30, 2019 4:16PM
  • Eeri_Ravencaw
    Eeri_Ravencaw
    ✭✭✭
    When I start a new character, I buy from npc vendors to get the armor skill lines and also recipes from food and drink vendors.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Omg, I hate when I accidentally buy NPC armor or potions
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Nope
    They sell nothing but expensive junk

Well not entirly true woodworker for example seels the woodworking furniture sign for crafters and they do sell simply furnishing plans like crates and common bowls.

but yes the actual armor does need to go.