Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry Crafting... why so expensive?

Drachdhar
Drachdhar
✭✭✭
Probably been mentioned before but... why so expensive?

Have to deconstruct 10 times more items to get upgrade materials, trait materials etc. Not to mention that it feels like you need to craft and deconstruct alot more to level it.
To make even one piece of Legendary jewelry you'd probably need on average deconstruct 60 green items, 90 blue items, 120 purple items and 240 yellow items... and that is probably a generous estimate. Granted you would get some of these mats through refining grains and whatnot, but probably not alot. And that would be the estimate if you have three ranks of Platings Expertise.

If you would buy the materials from guild traders one Legendary item would roughly, as far as I've seen, be 750k... Thats alot of coin for one piece of jewelry.

In conclusion. Jewelry crafting is a ton of effort for very little gain... You may have the materials to craft like one piece of blue/purple gear by the time you hit 50 in it. Hardly a craft anyone would have any use for as they level up, especially as a new player(or one who just recently returned after having been away for a long time). At level 30ish with my new character that I decided to take this craft on, and have spent some effort on it(15 or so in the craft, more work than any other craft), I still cant even make 1 green ring from what items I've acquired so far.

I might be off on these estimates, and I might be missing a thing or two... but they seem somewhat accurate.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold jewelry is really only useful for end game content, @Drachdhar ... to squeeze out a few extra DPS, heals, or buffs for end game Trials, PvP, etc.

Is that the kind of content you’re regularly playing?

Because a lot of players lose sight of that perspective. They want their gold jewelry for vet dungeons or overland content ... when purple or lower works fine and gold is overkill.

The price for jewelry crafting is high for a reason. ZOS doesn’t want players skipping content by buying jewelry at the guild stores ... and upgrading those pieces (to purple or gold) without having to do any challenging content.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 19, 2019 8:46PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold jewelry is really only useful for end game content, @Drachdhar ... to squeeze out a few extra DPS, heals, or buffs for end game Trials, PvP, etc.
    Is that the kind of content you’re regularly playing?
    Because a lot of players lose sight of that perspective. They want their gold jewelry for vet dungeons or overland content ... when purple or lower works fine and gold is overkill.
    agree.gif

• Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? No dead horse posts yet? You all are slipping.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Because its the first new craft introduced into the game and ZOS had to make sure that every experienced players couldn't rush straight to completion. Some did anyways, and they paid a premium on the jewelry grind to do so. That's also why the jewelry trait research works the way it does so that players have to take a certain amount of time (or else buy the research scrolls).

I wish they'd revamped Jewelry Crafting when Summerset became a DLC so that it fits the same progression as the other crafts in terms of amount of materials needed and time investment, but ZOS chose not to do that.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more expensive it is, the more time you spend playing the game in order to make in-game currency. The more time you spend playing the game, the more likely you’re going to spend real world currency on either crown store purchases, or ESO Plus subscriptions.

zZQHiGd.jpg
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    Or one realizes its entirely pointless and choose another game...

Even making green and blue jewelry as you progress normally is impossible. At least you get some use for the other crafts in the normal progression. And you can make stuff for your alts, with jewelry that is kinda way to expensive.

And the slowness is not really and issue with it, its that jewelry crafting is entirely useless to you until you've played for months with it.
    I played ESO in beta and at launch, when even the first veteran rank was 1.3 mil xp(which then gave you 10 CP per rank, ***), that was basically for me the entirety of Daggerfall starting areas and Glenumbra to get even one vet rank (no xp farm style)... I remember that due to it being the main reason I quit, coupled with the fact that even a normal vet mob hit you for a 5th of ones health... which is entirely off-topic... :P
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drachdhar wrote: »
    Or one realizes its entirely pointless and choose another game...

Even making green and blue jewelry as you progress normally is impossible. At least you get some use for the other crafts in the normal progression. And you can make stuff for your alts, with jewelry that is kinda way to expensive.

And the slowness is not really and issue with it, its that jewelry crafting is entirely useless to you until you've played for months with it.
    I played ESO in beta and at launch, when even the first veteran rank was 1.3 mil xp(which then gave you 10 CP per rank, ***), that was basically for me the entirety of Daggerfall starting areas and Glenumbra to get even one vet rank (no xp farm style)... I remember that due to it being the main reason I quit, coupled with the fact that even a normal vet mob hit you for a 5th of ones health... which is entirely off-topic... :P

6 hours... you can have infused or bloodthirsty researched, which can be a HUGE, HUGE DPS increase from transmuting your jewelry to these traits. That is the power of jewelry crafting. The other part was made to be a time/gold sink, yes, it's difficult to obtain, but there are a lot of other sources of jewelry.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    Which you of course need transmute stones for... which takes awhile, usually.

Gold and time sink which you generally got nothing for. If you have zero use for the craft as you level 1-50 as a new player, something is not quite right with it.
    Sure that it takes a good amount of resources to get a legendary item... but it takes a ton of resources to even make 1 green ring. Blacksmithing, Clothiering(?), Woodworking and Provisioning are all crafts you get use of as you level if you put some effort into them, especially Provisioning is very good. And then you get even more use of them for alts.
    Given the costs and effort involved with Jewelry Crafting, you get zero use out of it for most of the time. You will not be making any jewelry for yourself as you level, you will not make any for your alts as you level them.
    Which makes it something that is only useful for veteran players that have a significant time investment.

Which if that is the intention... Sure. I'll just leave that craft alone, and suggest the same for any player that asks if its worthwhile.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's for super niche or funky builds that need crafted jewelry. That means you are either using gold to replace the time it would take to run the content for your dungeon/trial set or using 2 5 piece crafted sets.

Majority of players will never need to craft jewelry

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is this post about why are tempers so expensive?
    Let's take a look:

0.5% chance of 1 chromium dust dropping per 10 platinum dust refined, x10 for 1 Chromium plating, x4 per piece of jewelry.

On average, that's about 10k platinum dust for 4 chromium.

Zircon has a 0.8% chance of dropping. so ~7k dust per 3 Zircon.

Why are Terne and Irridium so much cheaper? Because you can easily deconstruct found/dropped jewelry for tempers.

For comparison: there is a 0.6% chance of tempering alloy dropping from rubedite ore, but since you don't have to multiply by 10, takes approx. 1000-1500 ore to get 8 tempering alloy for 1 gold piece.

Now, why don't you go collect 10k platinum dust for each piece of gold jewelry you want and then say that jewelry tempers are too expensive.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on June 20, 2019 7:27PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold and time sink which you generally got nothing for. If you have zero use for the craft as you level 1-50 as a new player, something is not quite right with it.
    Sure that it takes a good amount of resources to get a legendary item... but it takes a ton of resources to even make 1 green ring. Blacksmithing, Clothiering(?), Woodworking and Provisioning are all crafts you get use of as you level if you put some effort into them, especially Provisioning is very good. And then you get even more use of them for alts.
    Given the costs and effort involved with Jewelry Crafting, you get zero use out of it for most of the time. You will not be making any jewelry for yourself as you level, you will not make any for your alts as you level them.
    Which makes it something that is only useful for veteran players that have a significant time investment.

Which if that is the intention... Sure. I'll just leave that craft alone, and suggest the same for any player that asks if its worthwhile.

You can literally get enough materials to make 1 green ring from completing the quest to start doing jewelry crafting writs on 2 characters. 2! Might take 10 minutes to do that.

Transmutes... 2 hours in Cyrodiil, get your tier 1, you'll get a stone worth 50 transmute crystals (in the 30 day)

Sounds like you've already made up your mind about it, and are just spouting things at this point.
    Edited by tmbrinks on June 20, 2019 8:21PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

You can literally get enough materials to make 1 green ring from completing the quest to start doing jewelry crafting writs on 2 characters. 2! Might take 10 minutes to do that.

Transmutes... 2 hours in Cyrodiil, get your tier 1, you'll get a stone worth 50 transmute crystals (in the 30 day)

Sounds like you've already made up your mind about it, and are just spouting things at this point.

Not ventured into Cyrodiil yet since my return... Just thinking about my usual luck in the... Uncracked Geodes(?), avg 3 stones per 1 Uncracked out of a possible 10.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not ventured into Cyrodiil yet since my return... Just thinking about my usual luck in the... Uncracked Geodes(?), avg 3 stones per 1 Uncracked out of a possible 10.

The 50-stone Geode is an end-of-campaign PvP reward, @Drachdhar. As long as you’ve cleared Tier 1 on the 30-day campaign before it ends, it’s a guaranteed reward.

For PvP, the Uncracked Geodes always have a minimum of 4 stones. You’re guaranteed an Uncracked Geode once per day on any Rewards of the Worthy (RoTW) coffer opened.

Depending on RNG, you could get more Uncracked Geodes if you open more RoTW coffers in the 24-hour period. In addition, the RNG could yield 5, 10, 15, or 25 stones in the Geodes.

In other words, the more you PvP, the more stones you accumulate. Sometimes they rack up pretty quickly.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Zos announced they were adding JC they said they wanted it to be less common than crafting of armor and weapons. That is why the upgrading is so costly.

Long before Zos added JC they commented they were concerned with how this would affect balance, for whatever reason. The higher cost may be how they decided to curb that. Just guessing at a correlation.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when the forum know-it-alls assured us that jewelry tempers would fall to reasonable prices in a few weeks?

HAHAHAHA... it STILL costs around 400K to upgrade 3 pieces to purple and another MILLLION to upgrade them to gold!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when the forum know-it-alls assured us that jewelry tempers would fall to reasonable prices in a few weeks?

HAHAHAHA... it STILL costs around 400K to upgrade 3 pieces to purple and another MILLLION to upgrade them to gold!

Then those people were idiots. Why would you expect it to drop below what the golden sells gold rings for.

Also it's (only) 100k to purple and 300k to gold. (at least on PC/NA)
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then those people were idiots. Why would you expect it to drop below what the golden sells gold rings for.

That's for one piece, I was talking about upgrading all three pieces of jewelry at once.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's for one piece, I was talking about upgrading all three pieces of jewelry at once.

regardless... it's 750k to buy them at the golden (and wait for RNG) or 1000k to upgrade yourself and get when you want it. Both are very expensive, but I honestly fail to see why it's a big deal that the "immediate" option is 33% more expensive. I think it's silly to expect it to ever be cheaper than buying from the golden. But perhaps that's just me.

(If the argument was around crafting furniture and it's expense, I understand that)
  • Insandros
    Insandros
    ✭✭✭✭

I presume he haven't leveled up jewlcrafting and put skillpoints in mats reduction passives, more likely he needs 8 gold plat. but still, even at an average 80k per plat. it goes to 600k ish per jewl... Import/Export fees i presume to raise at a million per jewl :)
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand the slow levelling of the skill, but the drop rate of the upgrade mats from refinement is much less than the other crafts once you get there. Refine 10k platinum dust to gold out one ring, versus less than 2k of rubedite to do the same to a weapon.

Plus the "nirncrux" effect, or having the limited supply of exemplary pieces, was multiplied by several for the jewelry, applying to almost all the new traits.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I want to know who at ZoS thinks this is still a wonderful way to leave things, long after jewelry crafting has been in the game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5