The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fine Tuning... Capped at 43% GPU in World Zones

Cathexis
Cathexis
✭✭✭✭✭
Trying to figure out what is going on with my frame rates. Recently purchased a new graphics card.

Things that have been done:
The bios is optimized.
The mobo is up to date.
The CPU is overclocked (4.5ghz), substantial use but no report or indication of decline in responsiveness due to cpu getting slammed.
The CPU is unparked and optimized to 100%
The game is prioritized to Realtime.
Ram quantity is sufficient.
Ram is optimized clocking.
New end GPU drivers up to date and overclocked.
Windows up to date.
HPET is properly enabled.
C++ Is current version (2019 vX.XX)
The only process currently using the CPU at a consistent and noteworthy level is ESO.
Nvidia + ESO profile is configured and optimized for maximum performance (no real changes were required)

Edit; Just an update, I have also looked into the wattage problem that was suggested to me in an older post, and the issue is not to do with the cpu or gpu not receiving sufficient wattage. GPU-Z is indicating a vrel PerfCap Reason, which would suggest a voltage stability limitation, but that warning remains consistent across all areas, regardless of where the game pins gpu usage at.

Settings related
Settings are maxed except (hoping to keep this way)
-Vsync is off.
-Usersettings.ini is tweaked for framerates, processes, single gpu check, gpu smoothing shaders = 0
-shaders are on medium (really all you need, since higher settings render outside the visual field)
-view/particle distance 25~ (distance optimized for cool pixelated fade in effect just inside the visual field)

The Problem
Yet for whatever reason, in world zones, I am under 60fps (35-55 moving, 55-65 standing still depending on what I am looking at) and the GPU sits at 25-41% of maximum load (also noticed this occurs before login). In dungeons, delves, player housing, and the character select screen, my fps skyrockets to 144 and the GPU is in full usage 89-100%.

Trying to understand what the problem is here because the game does not seem to be using my GPU consistently.
Edited by Cathexis on June 17, 2019 9:57AM
The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
Praise Malacath.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any insight as to what is happening would be appreciated, I have tried numerous graphical configurations and attempted to force pressure onto the gpu, the gpu usage remains constant despite ramping up gpusmoothing to 10 or 14, and disabling the shader cache.

Still sits between 28-45%, typically between 30-38% usage. But only in world zones.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm this is a GPU utilization issue and not a hardware limitation at the very least, as when in the character select menu, the usage is at 90-100% - logging in the usage remains at 100% very briefly and my fps indicator shows over 100fps in populated areas until the throttle kicks in and drops it to 45-50% GPU usage @ 50-60 avg~, fps being exactly proportional to usage drop.

There is some sort of zone based optimization going on that is preventing my card from using its capacity, because these issues do not show up in character select, delves, login, or player housing (I am assuming it has something to do with a host side limiter to compensate for server stress of accounting for more players in a wider area? I don't know).

I have been working at configurations for a while now and there is 0 impact on GPU utilization with regard to bios settings, overclocks, GPU settings, in game video settings, windows performance settings. None of it impacts overall GPU utilization beyond 50%.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 21, 2019 6:29PM
    Praise Malacath.
  • ArseJuice
    ArseJuice
    ✭✭
    What are your PC specs?
    Intel i5 10400@4.11Ghz / Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X / 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX FURY Black RGB 3200Mhz
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G + Acer SA240YA
    512 GB A-DATA SSD XPG SX8200 Pro / Seasonic Focus+ GOLD 750W
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    Trying to understand what the problem is here because the game does not seem to be using my GPU consistently.
    The client side rendering and the client/server communication aren't completely asynchronous in ESO.

Server lag can (and will) negatively impact your client fps, especially in more populated areas.
    shades.gif

• Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    The client side rendering and the client/server communication aren't completely asynchronous in ESO.

Server lag can (and will) negatively impact your client fps, especially in more populated areas.
    shades.gif

Well there's only one way I can help that. I suppose that's the obvious thing I have been wishing weren't true. Going to have to build some crazy shjtballs routing stuff (really did not want to do this, hours of work ahead bleh)
    Edited by Cathexis on June 24, 2019 4:01AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there's only one way I can help that. I suppose that's the obvious thing I have been wishing weren't true. Going to have to build some crazy shjtballs routing stuff (really did not want to do this, hours of work ahead bleh)

Won't help, the game server(s) themselves are the bottleneck, not the network transmissions.
    sad.gif

• Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

Won't help, the game server(s) themselves are the bottleneck, not the network transmissions.
    sad.gif

While I'm sure you are speaking truths, network transmission is variable geographically, and doesn't account for things such as carrier traffic shaping/throttling. My current issue may be traffic shaping/throttling related.
    Praise Malacath.
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game runs from a single core so your gpu doesn't matter as much. You need a strong cpu for this game.
    uwu
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deflorate wrote: »
    The game runs from a single core so your gpu doesn't matter as much. You need a strong cpu for this game.

My cpu is an 8 core clocked at 4.5 GHz. Over an hour of play it hits 100% on one core maybe twice for a fraction of a second. Cpu is all good.

There is something else happening beyond this. Either it's an issue with the server's being insufficient or being capped, or traffic shaping on my network because on my end I am spec'd appropriately. It does rise now higher when the game gets more active but there's no reason I should be getting 40 frames in towns when I'm seeing 50% GPU usage.

I'm getting 70-100fps on ultra settings stress tests depending on configurations.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 27, 2019 12:28AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭

My cpu is an 8 core clocked at 4.5 GHz. Over an hour of play it hits 100% on one core maybe twice for a fraction of a second. Cpu is all good.

There is something else happening beyond this. Either it's an issue with the server's being insufficient or being capped, or traffic shaping on my network because on my end I am spec'd appropriately. It does rise now higher when the game gets more active but there's no reason I should be getting 40 frames in towns when I'm seeing 50% GPU usage.

I'm getting 70-100fps on ultra settings stress tests depending on configurations.

Watch the video from where it starts to see what i'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/aKhUnXyOcnc?t=579
    Edited by woe on June 29, 2019 8:25AM
    uwu
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch the video from where it starts to see what i'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/aKhUnXyOcnc?t=579

I've watched this video, my cpu is fine. I've monitored cpu performance, it is not capping out under load. Single core performance rarely hits 100%, usually if that occurs it is because of some unusual system process that is compounding performance.

What seems to be happening is the GPU performance in some areas is being scaled down to about 50%. Video tests I have seen show that you need a 1070ti to maintain 60fps, and this makes sense under those conditions because the game is only making use of about half the power of the card. This is why shadows and view distance play such a significant role in fps, because the graphics card power is being constrained, and those settings are significantly more taxing under those conditions. View distance in particular seems to be extremely taxing, well beyond a reasonable degree.

To give you a sense of what I mean by scaled down, if I go outside Alinor to an Abyssal Guiser, when there is no activity my framerate sits between 80-135 running at 50%. If I reduce my settings, the framerate improves, but the GPU usage does not change. It's only when the Guiser activates that my GPU usage begins to exceed 50.

The same settings in player housing produces a framerate of way over 200+ and 99% usage. It seems like there is some sort of modifier occuring in open world where the graphical load is being constrained or split between different types of processes.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 29, 2019 9:37AM
    Praise Malacath.