The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry Writs: please help to understand them

myskyrim26
myskyrim26
✭✭✭✭✭
I decided to quit doing crafting dailies about a year ago, yet now I'm back doing them. I receieved my fisrt Jewelry Writ today and I can't understand, if it is worth doing, or not. I saw a lot of comments here that people instantly destroy Jewelry Writs, but mine seems to be... not so bad? Details: platinum ring, robust, epic, Law of Julianos (set doesn't matter as I'm a master crafter), 32 vouchers.
I understand all other Writs - a quick glance is enough for me to define if they are worth doing or not. But Jewelry Writs are totally unclear to me. I have mats to craft an epic ring, I actually don't need them they just sit in my bag...
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Zircon is a bottleneck. The question for you is: are 32 vouchers better than what you could do with the Zircon, either using or selling? I'd guess there's a very narrow use case where the vouchers come out ahead.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @phwaap,
    No need to use Zircon, but I can consider selling it, TY!
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not do any epic level master writ worth any less than around 95 vouchers. Anything below that is a waste of materials. If purple upgrade materials dropped at a reasonable rate, it would be a different story.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't ever do them - the vouchers are just too expensive to gain.
    Even large writs are going for a couple hundreds of gold only, which shows their value. Smaller writs get dumped right away, nobody will buy them.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that ring will cost you 3 zircon platings to make... at PC/NA prices they're about 30k a piece. so you're looking at a cost of 90k+ for 32 vouchers. Or almost 3k per voucher. The best of the items that you can buy with vouchers sell for about 700g/voucher (on the same server)

Even the "best" JC master writ, an Epic 115 voucher infused ring will cost you about 900g/voucher to do, so if you're trying to sell for profit, there is none.

If you are doing them to buy things for yourself, then yes, those very "best" ones are okay to do, since buying master writs and completing them are usually going to cost you between 700-900g/voucher to complete yourself.

However, I believe it's best to just wait and get the vouchers from all the other crafts, as they are all significantly cheaper to do.

Outside of epic enchanting writs using hakeijo, and provisioning writs using perfect roe, they are all cheaper than the 700g/voucher that the items sell from the vendor.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • thermatico
    thermatico
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is 32 writ vouchers worth 90k? Not in my opinion.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never done one and probably never will - I even have some purple ones for 60-80 vouchers that I can't bring myself to do.

Seriously, Jewelry crafting was probably the biggest disappointment in the game for me when it came out. Sure, it's nice to be able to craft set jewelry and have some additional traits available but to me it's all about improving the items you have and that was a big let down.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Never done one and probably never will - I even have some purple ones for 60-80 vouchers that I can't bring myself to do.

Seriously, Jewelry crafting was probably the biggest disappointment in the game for me when it came out. Sure, it's nice to be able to craft set jewelry and have some additional traits available but to me it's all about improving the items you have and that was a big let down.

I understand the disappointment in it... the biggest "value" in it is the ability to trait change jewelry from the drops.

The daily crafting writs in it are still profitable as well, due to the rarity of the materials still
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Top-voucher-payout jewelry writs are in certain circumstances better than other writs.
    By top-voucher I mean epic writs for over 100 vouchers and legendary writs for maybe over 450 vouchers.

The extra cost is offset by the time savings.
    Also, Jewelry has the least amount of required research to get to 9 traits, and no motif research at all, saving you a lot of time and potential cost that way.
    In comparison, a lot of Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking writs are initially useless because you don't have the motif, or months away from being useful for a handful of vouchers because you don't have the research and can't start it for weeks. By the time you have an excellent chance of doing B/C/W writs that come your way because you've sunk in half a year's worth of research and gathered a lot of motifs, you could have hundreds of vouchers from Jewelry writs already.
    Alchemy and Enchanting Writs are super-easy with no recipes or research at all, but the payouts are low so you could potentially spend a lot of time just farming or buying them when with one writ you could have 100-400+ vouchers done. And if you don't care for a lot of things in the voucher store, 1100 vouchers is all you need for the storage boxes.

As with a lot of things, you save time by spending money. If this is acceptable to you -- and since a lot of people are literally multi-millionaires in the game, it's no stigma at all -- then set your price threshold and look at Jewelry Writs.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on June 14, 2019 3:56AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I understand the disappointment in it... the biggest "value" in it is the ability to trait change jewelry from the drops.

The daily crafting writs in it are still profitable as well, due to the rarity of the materials still
    Only if you sell the materials. I've never sold any, have refined in excess of 30k raw mats and only have enough improvement mats to get 5 pieces to gold.

I still do the daily writs for mats and surveys but all 15 of my characters have learned all jewelry traits and are nearing level 50 in the skill line (I figured I might as well use my oversupply of refined mats).
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Only if you sell the materials. I've never sold any, have refined in excess of 30k raw mats and only have enough improvement mats to get 5 pieces to gold.

I still do the daily writs for mats and surveys but all 15 of my characters have learned all jewelry traits and are nearing level 50 in the skill line (I figured I might as well use my oversupply of refined mats).

True, you have to sell to get the most out of them. However, Platinum Ounces sell for like 10g a piece, so it only costs 250-300g to do the writ, and you're guaranteed 664g return (with ESO+), along with any other rare drops you get.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never do epic jewelry writs, even if they're worth over 100, a lot of the 100 ones ask for triune or swift, nope, I'll pass

I will do legendary over 400 ones though, even though it's still a huge cost to do it
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought they were changing the number of upgrade mats required to upgrade jewlery?

Can't remember where I saw it but it doesn't seem to have happened yet
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Thought they were changing the number of upgrade mats required to upgrade jewlery?

That was way back with Wolfhunter, @Katahdin ... late summer of last year.

PC/Mac Natch Pote 4.1.5:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/430154/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-1-5-wolfhunter-update-19#latest

Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 19, 2019 1:15AM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC/Mac Natch Pote 4.1.5:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/430154/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-1-5-wolfhunter-update-19#latest

Sorry but I dont see under the section titled "Crafting and Economy" where they say they are lowering the amount of upgrade mats for jewlery crafting. It was way after Wrathstone that it was mentioned on an ESO live or something. Im wondering what happened to the implementation of that / when it was supposed to happen.

Thanks
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC/Mac Natch Pote 4.1.5:

Sorry but I dont see under the section titled "Crafting and Economy" where they say they are lowering the amount of upgrade mats for jewlery crafting. It was way after Wrathstone that it was mentioned on an ESO live or something. Im wondering what happened to the implementation of that / when it was supposed to happen.

Thanks

@Katahdin
    Significantly reduced the amount of Boosters needed to improve the quality of Jewelry.
    At maximum rank of Plating Expertise, it now takes only a single piece of Terne Plating to go from white to green, two Iridium Platings to go from green to blue, three Zircon Platings to go from blue to purple, and only 4 Chromium Platings to go from purple to gold.

Search any chunk of that in those patch notes linked. It's there. They already did lower how many upgrade materials are needed.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewelrycrafting has made me forever wary of buying chapters. Luckily I was gifted Elsweyr because I wasn’t going to buy it until reviews were in on Necromancer and it was on a sale. I’ll never forget how burned I felt by the rollout of jewelrycrafting with Summerset. JC master writs, for the most part, are and will remain worthless. I probably destroy at least a dozen a week. I may sometimes drop a 100+ Epic or a 400+ legendary in the bank, but I can’t imagine actually doing them. What is the point? If I need vouchers, every single other craft offers more cost-efficient writs, even if I have to go to the guild store and buy them.
  • Gariele
    Gariele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you only need to remember one word when it comes to jewelry writs. DESTROY
    PC/EU
    Winter Rose Autumn Rose Summer Rose Pacific Rose Midnight Rose
    RoseESO Discord
    RoseESO Website
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MissBizz

Thanks, I didn't see that and didn't have the time to wade through 4 pages of patch notes. I really wish they would make links to the section in the index of the patch notes on the first page.

Sadly it still makes jewlery writs not worth doing. I need those gold mats when I finally accumulate enough to upgrade stuff for my characters
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My rule:
    Right Click - > Destroy -> Confirm for anything purple under 100 vouchers or anything gold under 300 vouchers.
    Keep the rest, maybe they'll be good some day. But I think I will sell even those for some rock bottom prices, since I don't have an urge to waste my materials on them, considering the cost for the cheapest ones is about 2x what other master writs cost in terms of materials.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    epic below 100 vouchers = dont bother
    gold below 300-350 = same as above
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just craft those epic master writs around 100 vouchers. The others are really not worth doing because you need to spend a lot of time gathering mats or you need to spend a lot of gold buying mats...
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP