The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Elsweyr furnishings - what's up with the terrible low-res blurry stuff?

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Look at the title. Why do some of these Elsweyr furniture look terribly blurry and lowres, compared both to other Elsweyr items, or to other furniture themes such as Vvardenfell and Summerset.

Just look at this image below, terribly low-res and blurry to look at, I pity anyone decorating their home in that style. This was brought up on the PTS, but we never got a reply to it, so I'm bringing it up again now that the furniture items are on live as well. I mean, sure the servers are in as bad a condition as they ever have been and the EU server is pretty much scrap metal by now, but was it really the best solution to deal with that by downgrading the resolution on the ingame items? Take a look at this yourself, there are many more items in the Elsweyr expack that are similarly very bad to look at. Click the pic for full view, you can even see the pixelations. Ugh ...

VuNFEnO.jpg
Edited by Carbonised on June 11, 2019 4:30PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple more examples. These are found in the game world, but they're all craftable as well. What am I even looking at here, you completely butchered the knotwork on all of these items. Pity to have your designers go through all the trouble of making nice looking furniture, just to massacre it into some downsized low-res mess like this.

xzyUAhS.jpg

PoK28V9.jpg

YAUCq1X.jpg

388YAU3.jpg
    Edited by Carbonised on June 11, 2019 8:18PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. In fact, when I saw these as I was going through Elsweyr, I had a bad few minutes as I checked all my other programs to see if there were any "other" signs that my video card was failing, because it never occurred to me that something this low-quality would have been released into that game that way.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I agree. In fact, when I saw these as I was going through Elsweyr, I had a bad few minutes as I checked all my other programs to see if there were any "other" signs that my video card was failing, because it never occurred to me that something this low-quality would have been released into that game that way.

I play on ultra as well, so nothing wrong on my end. All the Summerset stuff and Vvardenfell stuff still looks great in my game. It really baffles me why they decided to downgrade the quality of furniture items from earlier DLC, maybe the server is dying more than we already know, and this is a last ditch effort to try and salvage it. Or maybe housing is already taxing their systems so much they have to downgrade the items we put in them, since we already know they refuse to even raise the item limit above the paltry 700.

Either way, it's a huge disappointment to get a bunch of new and interesting items, only to discover half of them are more low-res than stuff from the base game zones ...
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Several people reported it on the PTS already - once again with no result it seems. Shame, I thought they said they fixed some low-rez textures but your images clearly show the same problem not having been fixed. :disappointed:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/468637/pts-update-22-feedback-thread-for-housing-furnishings/p1
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought to open a thread these days on this very matter, I'm just sorry you did it in the housing section, it would have been better to have this in the General one, ain't nobody got time at @ZOS to read this section it seems.

It's absolutely SHAMEFUL they did put on live such awful textures, items from 2 years ago are looking way better!

You just try to put on that Elsweyr orange carpet some Kahjiit pillows and you'll see the impressive difference, just one example among a multitude.

@ZOS these items aren't cheap, not for gold nor real money! It's inexcusable to put in game and on sale furniture with such low textures quality!

Instead of doing steps forward, are you doing steps behind?

IF I WANT SUCH CRAP TEXTURES I CAN TURN GRAPHICS SETTINGS DOWN

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_SarahHecker

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right about them ignoring the house forum. But right now the general forum is drowning in in complaints now that ZOS did an oopsie and completely turned off any guild and sales history and all trade guilds are left bleeding and reeling. ZOS just can't get enough good publicity these days it seems...

But hey, you're free to open one in the general forum too, the more the merrier. Not that I have the slightest optimism that we'll get better textures on these items. However, it would be nice with some sort of explanation on the decision, and perhaps an idea of whether this will be the new trend with new furniture items in DLCs to come.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah some of the elsweyr furnishings have such bad textures it's ridiculous. When I saw them in people's pts videos I hoped they'd improve the quality before they were put live, but looks like they didn't do squat.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the design but they do look cheap being so low rez. Confusing as to why they were made this way.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Those reliefs look like the result of a normal map.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The chicken dinner is especially … shall we say … sort of blobby.

Like this one is looking at it while a bit drunk.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if @ZOS_GinaBruno or someone else from staff would actually step in and explain whether the look of these furniture items is "working as intended" and meant to look so awfully low-res, or if it is indeed a bug or oversight, considering that the quality is significantly and noticably lower than other Elsweyr items, and previous DLC furniture.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's horrendous, even at max graphics settings.

Resolution-wise they resemble the common trough, at certain angles.

Not that common troughs should be blurry, either, as they are useful items that can and should be used in many situations (not just in a basic, starter home).

I have a feeling, with the Elsweyr stuff, that they compensated for the ornateness, by reducing the res?

However, if so, that just defeats the purpose of having anything ornate, in the first place.

• max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I thought it was just me/my computer! The crown store Elsweyr package has low Rez pieces in it and I thought “there’s no way that’s on their end”
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to confirm that this isn't intended and that these textures will be updated in a future update. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Staff Post
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooo goodie. The chicken dinner shall one day look it's very best!

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to confirm that this isn't intended and that these textures will be updated in a future update. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

THANK YOU SO MUCH Sarah! Really appreciated!

for both communicating with us and for confirming the awful quality will be fixed! This is absolutely awesome news!

THANKS

Edited by RANKK7 on June 17, 2019 12:57PM
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

Good.

Thank you for listening.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

Well that's a comfort at least. Maybe you want to look into how this made it to live from PTS as well, especially considering that several people reported it on the PTS, and even PTS patch notes mentioned that the textures had been fixed, when obviously they hadn't, or at least the fix didn't make it to live.

That's kind of what the PTS is there for after all.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Well that's a comfort at least. Maybe you want to look into how this made it to live from PTS as well, especially considering that several people reported it on the PTS, and even PTS patch notes mentioned that the textures had been fixed, when obviously they hadn't, or at least the fix didn't make it to live.

Well that's awesome news to be honest and I wasn't expecting a reply so fast and so clear, it's been a truly pleasant surprise, though I completely agree there is something very wrong when issues like these are reported on PTS (I didn't followed there but I know there have been enough reports on low quality) and all remains unfixed going live.
    This surely shouldn't happen, it's just bad practice that only contributes to exacerbate the playerbase.

Btw now I'm too glad we'll get these eyesore textures "fixed", it's been a relieve to hear that, counted to make large use of these furniture.
    lll
    lll
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to that! I've been using a lot of Elsweyr furniture, because I really love the style, and it's a shame to see them depicted so badly. Thank you for handling this issue fast. :)
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RANKK7 wrote: »
    ... I wasn't expecting a reply so fast and so clear ...

Someone mentioned that the flawed items are on the Crown Store.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

ahah of course :D

btw they are indeed, I still have many crowns left and I will probably buy some furniture from there that aren't available with plans, I won't, however, until we are getting the better quality. Not paying for crappy resolution like that.
    lll
    lll
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes! so happy it will get fixed

• Emathides
    Emathides
    ✭✭✭
    Very glad to see these textures will be fixed! The Elsweyr furniture is a beautiful style and those textures have really taken away from that.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I suspect that there were more than they thought, and fixed only the ones directly mentioned in bug reports, rather than scanning the rest of the new pieces. And we probably have the higher-res textures on the client, just not properly linked to the meshes.
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

made my day! :DDD
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention again on the live server since we really like to completely ignore your feedback on the PTS!

Fixed it for 'ya ...
    dry.gif

• Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, that's so stupid it was released this way. It gives new players and viewers bad impression about this game's graphics, which otherwise is really good.
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doors have the same problem, so I hope they fix those as well. Really everything should be high resolution to future proof this game a bit, I don't understand why newer content has lower resolution assets on max settings.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fata1moose wrote: »
    Really everything should be high resolution to future proof this game a bit, I don't understand why newer content has lower resolution assets on max settings.

Yes, I hope this won't happen again, settings are there exactly for that (if someone want to lower graphics can just do it), these items are expensive and we are already unhappy with slots limit, let's not add this too.

If they have problem because, let's say a couch is placed in npcs houses or inns or other world places and they are worried getting things too heavy outside our houses, well the textures maps assigned to crafted items and crown store items can be different from those for items in overworld, the model is the same alright, but the textures resolution assigned can be just different, give a different ID to those items and assign better rez maps, that's why I said it's "unexcusable" they release such low quality, there is no reason to do so.

Btw there are a lot of Elsweyr items displaying really awful, not only the ones in OP, I really hope they got this; that stone library is a monstrosity, just another example. @ZOS take a look at them all please.
    lll
    lll