The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Will we ever see neutral weapon tones for Rubedo weapons?

Cathexis
Cathexis
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi there, just wanted to post up my thoughts on crafted weapons. Being able to craft is great and it's a lot of fun being able to customize your base armor, but it is a struggle to find colour schemes that pair nicely with these bright red weapons. I understand that they are "Rubedo" and therefore red, but unless you do a heavy red style they clash heavily with armor designs. This is particularly annoying if you want to do a more faction representative design.

It would be nice if they implemented one of the following options:

(1) Custom colorized weapons.
(2) Neutral metal weapon colour tones
(3) Minimal tinged weapon tones (like Transliminal Colour)
(4) Weapon Dyes

Any of these options would be sufficient.
The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
Praise Malacath.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can use the outfit system to make your weapons whatever color you want. Use that.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use the outfit system to make your weapons whatever color you want. Use that.

Yes, I understand that is an available option, however when you run many different builds, the underlying base style provides a wider array of styles to customize, and sometimes it's nicer to use something different.

In order to do that I would have to either forgo my current outfit slot in favour of just customized weapons or purchase a second outfit slot. And while purchasing a second outfit slot isn't an outrageous option, if I'm going to purchase another outfit slot it just makes more sense to use that slot to make a second custom outfit, once again leaving us in the same base outfit conundrum.

If the weapons are just colourized based on their material level range, shouldn't it be easy to just change the colour set (even to a red style that is less explosively bright like a Transliminal red)? I've read they have reasons for keeping it red, but this red is way too much red and clashes with everything except red orriented designs.

Giving a more pliable colour option for designs would enrich the armor design experience... So isn't that a good thing?

And in terms of crafting there are some options for less red items, but the overwhelming majority are red and when you are doing a build with a non-crafted weapon set, you have 0 customization options.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 10, 2019 9:05PM
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i honestly dont understand what you are talking about when you say "the underlying base style provides a wider array of styles to customize". this is patently false, you can customize everything in the outfit system, including changing the type of weapon you are holding, EG, you have a dagger but your outfit is an ax. i have 12 toons, they all have a different weapon skin then the one they actually have. in fact, when i craft, i just use breton motif for every thing then use the outfit system on the toon to change it to something of fitting for the toon it is on. i just do not see this as a problem, unless you are a new player and don't have access to the motif you want and have someone else craft it for you. but even then, it gives that player something to work for.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i honestly dont understand what you are talking about when you say "the underlying base style provides a wider array of styles to customize". this is patently false, you can customize everything in the outfit system, including changing the type of weapon you are holding, EG, you have a dagger but your outfit is an ax. i have 12 toons, they all have a different weapon skin then the one they actually have. in fact, when i craft, i just use breton motif for every thing then use the outfit system on the toon to change it to something of fitting for the toon it is on. i just do not see this as a problem, unless you are a new player and don't have access to the motif you want and have someone else craft it for you. but even then, it gives that player something to work for.

Let me explain it simply.
    If I use 20 different builds on one character, for example.
    With outfits turned off, that is 20 different styles at one time.
    With outfit turned on, that is 1 style at a time.
    (Excluding costumes/hats)

The problem is that the base weapon style being a horrible shade of red makes it hard to make non-outfit styles look good.

I would prefer to use probably a dozen different styles on a character at any given time, over just one single blanket style. A more neutral weapon tone would be easier to pair crafting styles to, and allow for a lot more style options.

And really there is no reason for why this couldn't be made more flexible. Make them metalic colours or a sparsely tinted red (like transliminal) if they are really obsessed with keeping them red (I really don't get why, it is a horrid and off-putting aesthetic) or allow dies or colourization. All of these would be pretty easy to implement and make them far less god aweful looking.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 11, 2019 10:04AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry OP but there's no way most players have 20 different builds they cycle through with any frequency...
    The outfit system covers everything but that situation I guess, and it was the solution to the problem of red cp160 stuff
    *Shrugs*
    I'm sorry it isn't sufficient for your circumstances, but the likelihood of them changing it for such an unusual setup is remote.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously Im not expecting them to do this just for me but....

As a design choice, it is utterly obsurd and you would think easily fixed considering its a simple colourization issue. Maybe theres something I'm not understanding that makes this a difficult problem to fix..?

Like is there a reason why it is this way?
    Edited by Cathexis on June 11, 2019 11:28AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can setup colors without applying a style in the outfit system. This way the colors of your choice will be applied to any weapon you equip.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nvm this reply
    Edited by Cathexis on June 11, 2019 12:34PM
    Praise Malacath.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the other forum-goers, @Cathexis ... you’re trying to make it too complicated.

Maybe the underlying reason for not using the outfit system to the fullest extent is you don’t like the gold sink??

Because you can use as many outfit slots as you like ... and all you have to do on one of those outfit slots is change the color/style of a weapon, two weapons, or even your whole outfit if you like. Then repeat for the next 20 outfit slots.

That way, with the outfit overlay, you don’t have to worry about the base style of the gear you’re wearing.

It’s not like outfit tokens are expensive or rare. I still have 20 unused tokens from leveling rewards or other means.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the other forum-goers, @Cathexis ... you’re trying to make it too complicated.

Maybe the underlying reason for not using the outfit system to the fullest extent is you don’t like the gold sink??

Because you can use as many outfit slots as you like ... and all you have to do on one of those outfit slots is change the color/style of a weapon, two weapons, or even your whole outfit if you like. Then repeat for the next 20 outfit slots.

That way, with the outfit overlay, you don’t have to worry about the base style of the gear you’re wearing.

It’s not like outfit tokens are expensive or rare. I still have 20 unused tokens from leveling rewards or other means.

Well, I'm still confused as to why the notion of changing base weapon colours is such a complex idea. It doesn't seem like there is any actual reason why. But you are correct that it seems I will likely have to purchase and waste a second outfit slot on just weapon customization in order to benefit from having a variety of custom base armors.

The cost of changing the outfit is not the issue, I am wanting to maximize the style potential of pre-existing styles of the crafted armor itself.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 11, 2019 6:20PM
    Praise Malacath.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »

Well, I'm still confused as to why the notion of changing base weapon colours is such a complex idea. It doesn't seem like there is any actual reason why. But you are correct that it seems I will likely have to purchase and waste a second outfit slot on just weapon customization in order to benefit from having a variety of custom base armors.

The cost of changing the outfit is not the issue, I am wanting to maximize the style potential of pre-existing styles of the crafted armor itself.

Before the outfit overlay, I asked ZOS for years to be able to make a CP160 Order of the Hour Bow ... with Ebony Tier 4 colorization.

When Dragon Bones PTS dropped at the beginning of 2018, this was one of the first items I checked on PTS. That was a pretty awesome day for me ... it worked.

I see very few complaints about the outfit overlay. It was (still is) a character customization player's dream for most.

08Rf8eD.png
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rubedo weapons and gear color really was not a good idea. Yet outfits are available, so I'm happy.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    You can setup colors without applying a style in the outfit system. This way the colors of your choice will be applied to any weapon you equip.

This. Just assign dyes to the weapon look. No style.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I understand what the OP is getting at. We aren’t able to dye weapons outside of the outfit system. If he has already configured Outfit 1 for a specific look, but uses his actual armor for adventuring, he’s unable to dye his actual armor or weapons. His only option is to modify Outfit 1 (which isn’t what he wants) or will have to buy an outfit slot, just to dye weapons.
    Edited by Reverb on June 14, 2019 1:45AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any outfit station does what dyeing station previously did. It includes weapon dyes. You don't have to alter the style of the weapon for that. But if you do, just know you can put as many weapon types as you want on the same outfit. Just save it with 2H frontbar for example, then put a bow, edit, save, then put a staff, edit, save. And whenever you change weapon, it will keep that in memory.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I think I understand what the OP is getting at. We aren’t able to dye weapons outside of the outfit system. If he has already configured Outfit 1 for a specific look, but uses his actual armor for adventuring, he’s unable to dye his actual armor or weapons. His only option is to modify Outfit 1 (which isn’t what he wants) or will have to buy an outfit slot, just to dye weapons.

Correct.
    Praise Malacath.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain crafting styles will have other colors in them like Glass, Ancient, and Bouyant Armiger all have tints of green by some degree, a few will be devoid of any red at all. Oddly enough Willpower, Agility, and Endurance weapons show up in Tier 2 colors despite being 160cp and will decon ruby mats.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain crafting styles will have other colors in them like Glass, Ancient, and Bouyant Armiger all have tints of green by some degree, a few will be devoid of any red at all. Oddly enough Willpower, Agility, and Endurance weapons show up in Tier 2 colors despite being 160cp and will decon ruby mats.

Hm yes well that is good to know. I will probably do research into crafting in those styles, but it still doesn't give a lot of options if your set combination is a world drop set with a fixed style.

@Taleof2Cities Oh just to say, I have no actual issue per sa with the outfit overlay system itself, it is actually great.
    Edited by Cathexis on June 17, 2019 6:43AM
    Praise Malacath.