The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MMR mechanics

SacredEarth
SacredEarth
✭✭
A few observations about MMR.
I have done countless BGs on my magplar in the past 3 months and was seeing some higher skilled play for a while, or so I thought. I started seeing low CP toons again. Not sure what is happening there.

I gave up on my magplar and am now playing a no-pet Sorc and having a ton of fun. I had only 15-20 BGs and then Queued with some really high MMR guys for 3 or 4 BGs last week. Since then it seems like that high MMR stuck to me and I am seeing a high level of play with the same names and former emperors and such. Seems like a mechanic of the MMR system. Anyone else experience this?

I was doing very well on the Sorc, with high dmg kills and often no deaths... not sure how doing well in just a 15-20 BGs would shoot me up the ranks like that.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MMR is basically based off of time played, so if you do a lot of BGs on a particular character within a short amount of time, your MMR will rise very quickly. From what we know, MMR is basically the sum of the points you earn each match, so a crap player who earns only 1500 points each match can easily get to the MMR bracket of a good player who earns 4500 points each match, by simply playing 3 games in a row.

Considering that MMR also directly influences your queue times, it's also very likely that a crap player can actually do those 3 matches, in the same span of time that the good player can do his 1 match. The amount of players in each MMR bracket exponentially decreases as you go higher, so it takes longer for the queue to find other players if you've got a high MMR, sometimes upwards of 10x what a lower MMR player would experience.

Yeah, MMR is just a *** system. Hope they rework it, or at the least remove it.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think what happens is when there are less players it tries to balance teams by total MMR.

So maybe (totally made up points) the total MMR for a team might be 11k. So it might be two players at 5k, one at 1k and one at 0.

I think this because I’ll sometimes be grouped with inexperienced players who just get wrecked. The closer to prime time the more balanced the rankings of the players.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • SacredEarth
    SacredEarth
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I think what happens is when there are less players it tries to balance teams by total MMR.

So maybe (totally made up points) the total MMR for a team might be 11k. So it might be two players at 5k, one at 1k and one at 0.

I think this because I’ll sometimes be grouped with inexperienced players who just get wrecked. The closer to prime time the more balanced the rankings of the players.

Interesting. This makes sense. If only the Queues were functioning better at prime time :P

I know there is as lot of hate towards the MMR system, and I agree that it needs to be reworked, but 5 months ago I was one of those new players who was interested in PVP and got wrecked every time I went in. I found it an extremely frustrating environment to try and learn in. Even now with all the bugs and perma-CC effects it can be frustrating, but at least it is helping create a buffer for new players to learn in.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also wondering if it's (MMR) in fact account wide, and not per character.
    Waited to take my stam necro into BG's at 50 (cp 810. Not that CP matters in BG's.) Didn't touch one until 50, but was seeing the same high MMR players I was seeing on my no pet sorc and DK. Played both in BG's since Morrowind.
    I had expected some time to try to figure out a build before jumping into that level of competition, but no, it seems i was just pushed in the fire right from jump.

I know I've read somewhere that MMR is by character, but now I'm not sure. I'm now regretting not just leveling up in BG's pre-50.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR is character based

My higher toon does not meet the same crowd as my new toons (which is fun xD)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kel I noticed you're console too. I've looked into the players that say it's character based and they're PC. Those that have said account based are on console; maybe it's different for console vs PC?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • SacredEarth
    SacredEarth
    ✭✭
    @Kel I noticed you're console too. I've looked into the players that say it's character based and they're PC. Those that have said account based are on console; maybe it's different for console vs PC?

That is an interesting observation... needs more input!
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That could certainly be the case that they’re testing out different systems on the different platforms to see what works best.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, by my second BG at 50 on my necro, I was seeing familiar names (and they weren’t on new characters). I didn’t run any BGs pre-50. Promptly had to stop running BGs on the necro as I didn’t have Undaunted (still grinding away at it, grr) or all my class/weapon passives yet. I wouldn’t have cared about being at a disadvantage against newbs, but not against BG regulars. Only the first match I played was against obvious low MMR players. I’m also on console.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think they might have played with MMR on PC-NA in the patch.

On my main I haven’t died in 3 BGs and it’s been a complete steamroll. On my alt I’m seeing high MMR names like this sorc Sunbark and getting destroyed. Anyone else notice a difference?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Yeah, by my second BG at 50 on my necro, I was seeing familiar names (and they weren’t on new characters). I didn’t run any BGs pre-50. Promptly had to stop running BGs on the necro as I didn’t have Undaunted (still grinding away at it, grr) or all my class/weapon passives yet. I wouldn’t have cared about being at a disadvantage against newbs, but not against BG regulars. Only the first match I played was against obvious low MMR players. I’m also on console.

Exactly this.
    It was the same for me. I wasn't sweating not having undaunted or skill lines maxed. In fact, I thought I'd have time to get skill lines up in my low MMR matches....it's just there wasn't any.

Strange indeed.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

It doesn’t try to balance teams at all let’s be real.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom