The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vSS chest runs an exploit?

Zalathorm
Zalathorm
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno or anyone able to comment...

Are vSS chest runs (skipping bosses, clearing minimal trash) to loot the chests and get non percfected purple items (namely jewelry) considered an exploit by ZOS at this time?

Whether it gets patched in the future is beside the point. There are lots of debates going on in zone chat about this and it would be nice to know either way.

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t see the appeal in this, you can get the normal drops from nSS. It’s the Perfected gear that is best, and only drops from killing bosses in vet.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zalathorm wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno or anyone able to comment...

Are vSS chest runs (skipping bosses, clearing minimal trash) to loot the chests and get non percfected purple items (namely jewelry) considered an exploit by ZOS at this time?

Whether it gets patched in the future is beside the point. There are lots of debates going on in zone chat about this and it would be nice to know either way.

Not really I guess. But it's certainly lame and pathetic alike.
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has some precedent: You can do very similar chest runs in City of Ash 1 since it has a very open floor plan.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really can't be an exploit unless going out of the map or glitching yourslef through doors is involved. As long as all the chests are acessible through normal means there is nothing wrong with those runs.
  • Aloha
    Aloha
    ✭✭✭
    It is not an exploit but it was the same mistake with one trial (vMol chest farming 3 years ago ? don't remember. And ZoS fixed it, few weeks later.)
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess its about the same as any chest run like the one in vCoA were ther is a few chest in th first section of the dungeon and you can sneak every were

As long as its not the perfected version im ok with it
    Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on May 31, 2019 5:00PM
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any real benefit to doing this on vet if you can get the same jewelry in Normal? Seems like needlessly wasting time to get the same gear.

If it was Perfect SS gear, then I could see it as a problem but normal SS gear is whatever.
    Argonian forever
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the trash runs they do in WoW. There's nothing wrong with this.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Zalathorm
    Zalathorm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any real benefit to doing this on vet if you can get the same jewelry in Normal? Seems like needlessly wasting time to get the same gear.

If it was Perfect SS gear, then I could see it as a problem but normal SS gear is whatever.

Getting 3 purple jewelry saves you roughly 90k each, so 270k gold from upgrades assuming you had to buy the mats.

It's also faster to farm this than doing it on normal and completing it. You're only out 3 drops (the 3 dragons), but it takes 10 mins.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are technically clearing every obstacle between you and the chest. It's just you're not necessarily aggroing everything on the way. If you are exploiting directly through terrain that you should not be able to pass, that would be a no-no. You're not doing anything odd, just choosing not to fight things.

That being said, it would not surprise me if the trial is changed at a later date to force players into more encounters in order to get the chests.

There was a time a couple years ago when there were chests placed in Hel Ra before the first boss fight and that could be opened without any fighting whatsoever. You did everything required in order to get to those chests, they were just placed by ZOS in spots they probably shouldn't have been. Since then, the chests have been moved further into the dungeon. I don't think any action was taken against players farming those chests before they were moved.
  • Zalathorm
    Zalathorm
    ✭✭✭✭
    You would think this was discovered in PTS and they just didn't decide to patch it...
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, exploit or not, it totally stinks.

It's either incompetent game design or it's a deliberate inducement to purchase the chapter NOW, because this will be fixed, probably 2 weeks after the console launch, so the early adopters can have their shineys and cheese.

But only if they purchase right now.

Think of it as another pre-launch purchase bonus

• LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not even perfected, I actually skip them and go straight to boss.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t see the appeal in this, you can get the normal drops from nSS. It’s the Perfected gear that is best, and only drops from killing bosses in vet.

This.

Running a trial on normal for the regular version of the gear is a piece of cake. There is no need to sneak around for chests. It might save you a bit of time, but you also lose out on the drops you'd get from killing the bosses (which, again, pose no challenge on normal).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 31, 2019 9:12PM
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Half the sets are useful only in perfected versions. False God and Lokkestiiz are only good if you have perfected version.
    It's no big deal really. I don't even loot chests there personaly.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Zalathorm
    Zalathorm
    ✭✭✭✭

This.

Running a trial on normal for the regular version of the gear is a piece of cake. There is no need to sneak around for chests. It might save you a bit of time, but you also lose out on the drops you'd get from killing the bosses (which, again, pose no challenge on normal).

The appeal is for a specific player type.
    1. The person isn't actively seeking perfected gear because they dont regularly run vet trials.
    2. The person is farming perfected very slowly, and wants imperfect in the interim
    3. The person doesn't want to pay close to 90k per jewelry piece to upgrade blue items to purple

So if you're wealthy in ESO, or you run vet trials, this will have no appeal. Otherwise, it might...
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People have been doing the same thing in dungeons for chest farming... Unless those chests drop perfected gear I don't really see it as an exploit.
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You seem like the kind of kid who reminded the teacher that homework was due today
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How ia it different than stealthing through a grp dungeon and looting chests?
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The things people complain about these days........

Seriously who cares if people just open the chests!?
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Moushen
    Moushen
    ✭✭✭
    Fulgurance wrote: »
    It is not an exploit but it was the same mistake with one trial (vMol chest farming 3 years ago ? don't remember. And ZoS fixed it, few weeks later.)

The trial would let you scale it all the way down to level 2 and it was done to farm motifs.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really an exploit IMO. As someone pointed out above its no different to coa1 and other dungeons where you can farm for chests due to the open plan of the map. Only thing that would change my opinion is if theyre glitching off map, through walls etc to do it.

Besides zos would only fix it if you could kill the bosses by sniping off map etc like with vAS or vMOL. Those exploits were fixed quick smart. Well except the vmol off map, that was free to be exploited and chests farmed for a solid 6+ months before they finally patched it (xbox na).
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an exploit as many have pointed out already and its Roleplay/Lore friendly activity.
  • DovahkiinHeart
    DovahkiinHeart
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, the 'if-I-had-to-do-it-the-hard-way-so-does-everyone-else' type, regardless if their end game goals are different than yours.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just do nSS. You actually play the trial that way and learn some of the mechanics. So you can actually start to eventually do vSS and get your perfected pieces. vSS ain't that hard.
    Edited by xMovingTarget on June 2, 2019 2:35PM
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add a wall of fire at the ladder on fire dragon. Add ice wall before bridge at ice dragon. Problem solved. Can’t beat these bosses? Can’t continue. It’s really just another instance where ZoS is catering to super casuals. Even casuals like some challenge, these super casuals I keep seeing in the forums want to bar lowered so much that eventually, if they got there way, you would just type in the sets you want and a wagon shows up with all of it for a fee of one gold.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • malcolmhagger
    malcolmhagger
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to do this tbh. Compared to waiting in craglorn to fill a pug, go thru the actual trial, and then spend a bit of gold to upgrade sounds like a lot more work lol

Also correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the only difference between perfected and non perfected is the additional 5th piece bonus?
  • solasub
    solasub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just let people play as they want and keep "exploit" word for real exploit ; skipping ads in a pledge, an "exploit"? rushing to a boss when you just need a monster helmet / or a motif, an "exploit"? Suiciding to port, an "exploit"? I don't practice chests farm but I don't even understand the care about that ; and how some want to control how others are playing. I don't even imagine how some could see it as an exploit.
    Tick Tock Tormentor• Gryphon Heart • Immortal Redeemer • Extinguisher of Flames • Dro-m'Athra Destroyer • Shiel of the North
    PVP Alpha Squad
    PVE : Alpha Crew Guild leader / Easy Peasy Officer