The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Looking to make an Orc tank - class advice?

Sand_Traven
Title, really. Tanking's what I'm really wanting to get good at in ESO - never touched healing, and DPS is more of a slow burn - so where should I start? I'm looking for any and all advice, especially around what class and skills are the best to use. What I'm least flexible on is the race. I'd really like it to be an Orc. I have a stamina Templar Orc already, with whom I've done a lot of tanking, but I'm taking that character in more of a DPS-heavy all-rounder direction for now, possibly with PVP in mind. This new Orc tank would not be for PVP though, it'd be for PVE with a view to end-game content in the distant future.

Any and all advice gratefully received. I'd also take pointers on which up-to-date videos to watch, because so far the only ones I've found are out of date.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK or NB. I don't know how far you want to get into PvE tanking but if you want to do some end game, DK and NB are very good choices right now. They both can pull decent DPS when converted into a DPS spec, especially as an Orc. Warden is also decent but Warden Healers make more sense to use in current patch and they bring the Warden utilities easier than a tank.

In case you might want to bring those characters to PvP, both StamDK and StamNB are very strong. So yeah, definitely pick a DK or NB.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for nord.
    Orcs are dps.
    Nords are tough.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main as a Warden tank and love it, the only end game content i have not completed so far has been vMoL , vHoF, vSO and Sunspire since i haven’t been able to get into those raids as Tank.
  • m2rc
    m2rc
    ✭✭✭
    DK tank has always been a solid choice. Ulti gen and survivability through heals (Dragon Blood recently buffed in Elsweyr) and shields make the DK really strong. Resource management is also a bit easier on it.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this one wishes for this as a housing item.

An Orc Tank.

Like an aquarium but where you keep your orcs …

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for nord.
    Orcs are dps.
    Nords are tough.

Dont Orcs still get a big buff to health etc?
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StamDK makes the most sense to me personally.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for nord.
    Orcs are dps.
    Nords are tough.

Specifically, orcs get as much bonus health and more bonus stamina compared to nords. They also are faster and have more bonus weapon damage, whereas nords have better ultimate gain and higher resists. Either is good for a tank.
    (https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills#Nord)

As others have said, dks have been powerful tanks for pretty much forever. Nbs also make very strong tanks currently, and necros look like they’ll be pretty good too. Sorcerer seems ok in the current patch. I haven’t tried Templar or warden tanking this patch yet.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran an Orc Warden as a tank, and I really liked playing with him. But that was prior to the racial "rebalance", and if feel like Orcs lost some of their tankiness in that update, sliding more into a stamina brawler slot.

I also have an Orc Sorc that I've tanked a lot with, and that's a really fun build. Ulti-gen build with Champion of the Hist, Werewolf Hide, and Bloodspawn. Lots of Aggressive Horn, or 100% uptime on Atronach (synergy for Major Berserk :) ), or 50% uptime on Negate for a long-lasting trash mob stun with a strong heal.

I've only PVP "tanked" with my Orc Nightblade, so I can't really offer much insight on that class.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for nord.
    Orcs are dps.
    Nords are tough.

Also speed for extra movement to avoid things. A built in self heal. Lots of reasons to go orc.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An Orc Tank.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

😱 @Chufu run...
    Edited by Tasear on May 31, 2019 2:39PM
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orc tank... Sword and board and 2 hand... Run your taunt. Pick a high defense set, warrior poet, fortified brass, and the pair that with like ravager... You can be a damage tank. The higher your damage the bigger your heal... 33000 resistance cap depending on how dangerous you wish to bring your tank most anything you'll survive but a one shot mechanic. I made one just like this. Actually DK because the passive from the skill line for fragmented shield gives minor brutality. You'll be carrying people on this build. You could easily get over 5000+ wpn dmg and still be crazy tanky and all you need is a taunt and be able to take a hit.
  • Sand_Traven
    Really, really useful info and I'm grateful for every bit of it. DK's are coming out the winner here, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a Nightblade tank. I'd heard their sustain was a bit iffy in the past, though. What's changed?
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really, really useful info and I'm grateful for every bit of it. DK's are coming out the winner here, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a Nightblade tank. I'd heard their sustain was a bit iffy in the past, though. What's changed?

They got a small sustain increase with Incap change but that's not the real reason why NB tank is strong. It's because they fit the current meta (8 StamNecro DDs) because they bring Minor Savagery. They are also the tankiest class thanks to being able to tank in heavy and still have Major Evasion and 15% damage reduction with 100% uptime just for doing 5 light attacks. The mitigation bonus carries over to the other bar and stays on you even if you don't refresh the buff which is super strong and easy to keep up. So you just do 5 light attacks and enjoy half a major protection until fight is over. Self healing wise, they have strong heal over times but no burst heals, being their only disadvantage. So you have to play carefully as you won't be able to get out of messy situations as easily as other classes even though it's harder to get in that position as a NB tank.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nb Tank 4ever!
  • Fivefivesix
    Fivefivesix
    ✭✭✭
    Ive tanked with an orc DK for years. I love it very much and the sustain is great and you can be flexible with your gear. Been messing around with an orc necromancer tank recently but stam sustain is just not as good as DK from my experience so far. Im still having tons of fun tanking with my necromancer though.
    United we stand, divided we fall.
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

An Orc Tank.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

😱 @Chufu run...

What what what?

No orcs can't be hold in a tank...this idea does not work, khajiit!!

You can find other animals in Tamriel for tanks like Wamasu, daedrats, ... yes? Yes! B)