The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I wonder what ESOs next crafting profession will be.

Pantherin
Pantherin
✭✭✭
One of the things I really enjoy is the crafting system. I have a character slot for each crafting profession, and I am looking forward to more!

We have:

Woodworking
Blacksmithing
Provisioning
Jewelry
Tailoring
Alchemy
Enchanting

Let's think outside the box a moment.

What if we could craft auras. (Energy Shields and Regeneration Auras)
What if we could craft cloaks (DAOC style)
What if we could craft Wings and back accessories.
What if we could craft armor for our pets and mounts.
What if we could tame ESO creatures as pets and mounts - I could see a tamer being viable new character class.
What if we introduced Bards or Minstrels as a character class and craft instruments.

Have I gone too far outside the realm of possibility?

It is ESO and all of these elements are in ESO in one form or another already.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas!

Legends of Tamriel

US Army Retired - (1990-2017)
Combat Veteran
Martial Artist - (1990-Present)
  • prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love a tamer class. The three new Pokemon games: Aldmeri, Daggerfall and Ebonheart versions.

I'm only half joking, it'd be pretty cool. I'd love a zoo feature where you can just view all the creatures in the game without having to fight back.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pantherin wrote: »
    One of the things I really enjoy is the crafting system. I have a character slot for each crafting profession, and I am looking forward to more!

We have:

Woodworking
    Blacksmithing
    Provisioning
    Jewelry
    Tailoring
    Alchemy
    Enchanting

What if we could tame ESO creatures as pets and mounts - I could see a tamer being viable new character class.
    What if we introduced Bards or Minstrels as a character class and craft instruments.

Have I gone too far outside the realm of possibility?

It is ESO and all of these elements are in ESO in one form or another already.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas!

(Don't think that makes sense in this game, seem more like existing ability's rather than something craftable)

(Probably be added to the clothing skill line, if ever added, assuming the game engine can handle them)

(kinda already got that with some of the motifs, if they did add accessories, I assume they would end up in the crown store not in the hands of crafters)

(Would fall under existing crafts, again assuming they didn't introduce a pets/mounts ornament category in the crown store)

(doubt we will get another class for awhile, don't really see that as being that much different from the warden/lesser extent pet sorc and necro)

(doubt we will get more than the current instrument emotes in the game)

While I am not opposed to them adding new crafts(Ulterior motive of being someone who does crafting writs on multiple alts for gold aside)Can't really think of anything to really add to the setting, that could not be covered by existing crafts.

Best I can imaging happening is a further expansion of the current crafting skills, in the same way that they introduced furniture.

• cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think something they might’ consider is a new upgrade alloy.
    From gold to platinum for example, this would require new crafting skills to use.
    And allow for gear upgrades without the grind for new and not induce more power creep
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They wouldn't introduce those as ingame crafts, there is too much opportunity to be gained as Crown store items.

You're more likely to see spell crafting happen, or one handed and elemental rune with a new craft for the rune, and get sold with a chapter.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only possibility for a new crafting would be spell crafting, but that might be taken care of with a skill line. That is if Zos ever decides to add it.

Most of what OP has suggested will not happen.

1. Zos has already said no to Cloaks and we have no cloth physics in the game.
    2. Crafting wings and back accessories seems a little pointless and there is no slot for such things.
    3. Armor for pets and mounts are pointless as well and again no slots for such things. Want an armored mount then buy one in the store.
    4. Taming pets in general will not become a thing. Crown store is the reason. Ofc zos might do an event system like the current one for getting a mount and make it look like we are training it but that is not the same.

That is most of the suggestions and why they will not happen.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As already said by others, most of the ideas you mention would just fall into one of the existing crafts:

Cloaks would fall under clothing.

Wings could probably be enchanting and back accessories (depending on what they are) could be clothing or blacksmithing.

Instruments would fall under furnishings and could be either woodworking or blacksmithing depending on the instrument.
    Unless you want these to be some kind of weapons? But they would still fall under existing crafts. Or if you want to have them to play, I think our current emotes take care of that.

As for a tamer. I don't see taming animals as a craft, but rather a skill, like fishing. These seem to be more occupational skills or life skills. I'd love to see fishing be an actual skill line, but I don't see the point of an animal taming skill. If they were to introduce it, the animals you could tame would be pretty limited, so as not to compete with the crown store.

But, I'd love to see more crafting skill lines. I just don't think a lot of what you suggested are new crafting skills as opposed to just new items to craft that would fall under existing crafts.

I think spell crafting would be a viable new crafting line, but it doesn't appear that ZOS is going to ever introduce it to the game.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love to see a new upgrade tier. Crafting needs something new to keep it from getting too stale. Nothing new since summerset.
    Edited by Pevey on May 29, 2019 6:45PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting is about all we really lack in this game. There are some things that could be added to what we have now, but I can't think of another overall category.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If runes or other magicka-based weapons are ever added, that could be another crafting system.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Something like mount breeding might be fun:
    • Add a few more skills
    • Make the training points work like CP so you can redistribute
    • Some of the gear/appearance could be added to existing crafts
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewel crafting was an obvious gap, in that there was an equipment category that the player used, but could not make. There aren't any more gaps to fill.

Spell-crafting doesn't fill a gap, as you don't have individual spells to acquire, only skill lines. The ones you use have morphs and so are effectively three spells in one, making a sensible crafting system almost impossible.

I think we're done with skills, but I could imagine something other than furnishings being added to each to extend its use. The outfits system was added without "extending" clothier, or blacksmith, and I suppose that could happen again, but I don't expect a new kind of crafting to be involved.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im more than happy with the crafts we have. Why do things have to be in such constant flux? We just got a new chapter and class etc and we are onto the next thing already? 😆😆😆 Please allow for the sand to settle in Elsweyr first..thank you😊😉
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    Im more than happy with the crafts we have.

This is a "what if" post for ideas for crafting. Why are you here?
  • Pantherin
    Pantherin
    ✭✭✭
    I get what most of you are saying, really, I do.

I will just go back to my accepting the way things are, and not try and make a difference or spark ideas, clearly not acceptable behavior in these forums.

I think as a whole people are too quick to squash ideas because they have "facts" or read something or ZoS said.

The only way things progress or change is through positive feedback, and analytical thinking.

Yes, the Crown Store is a very big revenue generator for ESO, we all know that,

All of the elements I mentioned are already in the game, in one form or another, just look around.

Thank you for your feedback, it was typical.

Sheep will be Sheep

Too many Sheep, In my opinion.
    Legends of Tamriel

US Army Retired - (1990-2017)
    Combat Veteran
    Martial Artist - (1990-Present)
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a text-based MUD/MMO I played back in the late 90's and early 00's - Darkness Falls: The Crusade (DFC) - that was the direct precursor for DAoC and, by proxy, a forefather for ESO (Matt Firor was on the production team), each realm had their own version of craftsmen which could craft armor and weapons, place runes on armor/weapons, and improve/repair the gear as it degraded with use.

In addition to this, the craftsmen of each realm had a unique skill line that set them apart from the other realms' craftsmen. Bear with me, but I'll get to the point eventually. The three realms were classified as Evil, Chaos, and Good.

Evil realm's craftsmen were a demon race belonging to the Cult (Guild) of Xionakis and their special ability was the capability to make the best siege ammo in the game. In DFC catapults and ballistas could be used for both PvP and PvE and enabled you to kill enemies in adjacent "rooms" - remember this was a text-based MUD, lol.

Chaos realm's craftsmen were the goblin race and their unique ability was crafting "bombs." These were essentially consumable items that were armed by casting a spell that allowed you to throw them at enemies. They detonated a second-ish later causing massive AoE damage to anyone in the room. Obviously, higher level, more complex bombs caused more damage but required more, and more costly materials.

Good realm had generically-named "Craftsmen" that could be created utilizing an assortment of humanoid races. Their unique ability was golem construction. These were basically constructable pets that required considerable resources to build and were animated, controlled, and de-animated by spells. Once animated they followed you around passively attacking any hostile enemies, or could be directed to attack specific enemies by typing in 'command golem attack <enemy>'. They had a finite number of hit points and I'm honestly drawing a blank on whether they could be repaired, healed by spells, or simply took damage until obliteration. Either way, I know that they could be destroyed and you'd lose all materials invested. There were 5 levels of golems with increasing defense, hit points, and damage dealt based on expertise in the craft. The material costs obviously increased with each level and crafting them required you to make two arms, two legs, a torso, a head and a heart (core). I want to say the golem levels were: straw, wood, steel, mithril, and diamond. You could deanimate the golem and carry it in your inventory when you didn't need to use it.

Obviously in ESO we wouldn't want to restrict a new crafting style to a single alliance, but two of these might make interesting candidates for game-wide implementation. Since ESO siege weapons do not require consumable ammo, that option is out, but some variant of explosive flasks that can be crafted might be an interesting skill line.

"Bombs" could be the poor man's version of spell crafting. You create consumable items that can be stacked like regular potions/poisons. A spell "throws" them with a delayed proc that telegraphs the AoE. These flasks could be made with various elemental damage, poison/disease, etc. Or apply status effects like defile, maim, etc. Or be instant damage, DoT, etc. If they become OP I guess you could implement some type of cooldown before another could be used.

Golems could be a way to introduce a "pet" to every class. Granted it would be a consumable and costly pet, but wouldn't require double-barring, would persist until destroyed or deanimated and put away, and could be based off main resource and not magicka specific. You could have differing types of golems too. AoE or single-target dps, AoE or single-target healers, or even a tank one that deals no dps but is a damage sponge and holds aggro until destroyed. Golem could "taunt" by the creator casting a command spell on the intended target.

Anyway... just some thoughts.

TL;DR - My two ideas are craftable, consumable "bombs" that can be thrown at enemies and craftable, consumable* golems that function as pets. *High hit points, but can ultimately be destroyed requiring you to craft another.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Thiskers
    Thiskers
    ✭✭
    I don't feel they should introduce a new crafting profession. I feel they should expand on what is currently in place.

We are CP 810 wearing CP 160 gear.

Increase each craft level up to 15 from 10.

Craft levels 11 - 15 would span the cp levels from 160-810.

Break clothier to two tabs. One for cloth, one for leather. Just as blacksmith has armor and weapons, provisioning has food and drink, jewelry crafting has rings and necklaces, and woodworking has weapons and shields.

Introduce crafting specialization. Having players choose a craft to specialize in once reaching level 15.

Cloth specialization.
    Leather specialization
    Heavy armor specialization
    Weapons specialization
    Wooden weapons specialization
    Shield specialization

Jewelry and provisioning could also be broken down per tab for specialization.

Alchemy and enchanting only have one tab so these wouldn't have a break down.

Only one specialization would be able to be chosen. Being specialized in a craft would allow better items to be created in specialization chosen.

Edited by Thiskers on June 3, 2019 5:33PM