The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unable to research trait even tho I do have all mats needed.

LukeFRAGWARS
I have a weapon with a trait which I want to research and in the UI it says "researchable".
I do have trait gems needed for this research (in my case turquoise).

When I try to research it tells me that I don't have gems needed for research.

Any idea why it happens?
Ps. I'm playing new char after a few years of inactivity so maybe it doesn't recognize gems which were collected on my first/old char?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't use any "gems" when you are researching...

Do you have open research slots? (base is only 1 item at a time, can put points into passives to up it to a maximum of 3)

You already said you have an item with the trait. Is the item locked?

I haven't run into this issue at all myself.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trait gems you use for crafting AFTER you researched the trait off a looted item with that trait.
    So the steps are:

have a free research slot.
    have a looted/bought item with the trait you want to research. (has to be same weapon or armor piece as what you later want to craft.)
    research the trait.
    wait for it to finish researching, (between 5 hours and 2 months, depending on number of traits.)
    Go to craft item ui, select there your researched trait on the item you researched. you'll see the trait gems in the ui there.
    Select right level of item you want to craft. (anything higher than level 14 needs skill points in the crafting skill line.)
    Select trait you want on your item.
    Craft.

And you get a white item with selected level and trait. To get it to become green, blue, purple and yellow. You'll have to upgrade it, in the upgrade part of the crafting ui. number of items needed there is again depending on how many skill points you've spent.

Hope this helped?
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best thing to do, @LukeFRAGWARS, is post a screenshot of your issue so forum-goers can help.

As @tmbrinks pointed out, the number of trait stones you have in your inventory does not affect your research ability.
  • LukeFRAGWARS
    Solved the problem. IT was the stupidest thing ever which is.... i didn't select the item from the list :joy:
    Since I've had one item to research I assumed that w/e is displayed for me is already "chosen".
    Ohh well at least I figured it out on my own haha

Sorry for wasting your time guys ;)
    Cheers!
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You dont need anything to research the item, you either have full research slots or you have it researched