The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Animation Cancelling feels Horrible and Pointless

Adam_Chattaway
Adam_Chattaway
✭✭✭✭
Animation Cancelling feels Horrible and Pointless. Having to spam an invisible Light Attack before kills and not being able to see any GCD sweep can cause light attacks to not happen.
Edited by Adam_Chattaway on May 28, 2019 4:06PM
I was once Banned for making a game criticism. Think about that.
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    anyone?
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably can’t unless you block after casting, same problem with birds on warden its hard to weave that skill.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weaving is the same on all classes. Some skills can be a bit easier to weave and timing may vary a bit but if you are having issues I would recommend taking a look at your general weaving ability.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weaving with the skulls feels fine, just like any other ability, but Boneyard seems to have a bug with it's animation that causes it not to fire off sometimes, almost like it's animation gets cancelled. The colossus has the same issue.

You're probably just not used to the animation yet.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weaving feels fine to me, my biggest gripe will always be acid spray. Feels awful to weave.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    Weaving with the skulls feels fine, just like any other ability, but Boneyard seems to have a bug with it's animation that causes it not to fire off sometimes, almost like it's animation gets cancelled. The colossus has the same issue.

You're probably just not used to the animation yet.

it's the same for any placed ground effect like Liquid and spear for ages. Doubt this will ever get fixed.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i understand weaving now and can do it but i will say this. It feels absolutely horrible. It feels like some cheap cheat to get more dps. A broken system avoided being fixed by calling it skill... If breaking my £80 razer Naga (One of few in world remaining for left handed people) by spamming left click and numbers at such a high rate is how you achieve competitive dps then this games combat is not for me...
    Edited by Adam_Chattaway on May 26, 2019 11:07PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So i understand weaving now and can do it but i will say this. It feels absolutely horrible. It feels like some cheap cheat to get more dps. A broken system avoided being fixed by calling it skill... If breaking my £80 razer Naga (One of few in world remaining for left handed people) by spamming left click and numbers at such a high rate is how you achieve competitive dps then this games combat is not for me...

It's in pretty much every other action-combat MMO so I guess action-combat MMOs are not for you.
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

It's in pretty much every other action-combat MMO so I guess action-combat MMOs are not for you.

Name another action MMO where a BUG they couldn't fix at launch they decided to turn into a excuse for higher skill cap? because that's what happened with ESO.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Name another action MMO where a BUG they couldn't fix at launch they decided to turn into a excuse for higher skill cap? because that's what happened with ESO.

It's not a bug. Never was. And again, like someone else mentioned earlier, if you want to quit-- Quit! No need to whine about it here on the forums. lol
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually with the ~1 second cool down on skills ideally you would be getting roughly a light attack per second. A little less generally. Also you don't need to weave for viable dps on most content it just helps a lot.
    To be fair to ESO the light attack weaving was accepted well before the actual combat system was even near the form we recognize today.... or maybe that was a backhanded defense there....
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »

It's not a bug. Never was. And again, like someone else mentioned earlier, if you want to quit-- Quit! No need to whine about it here on the forums. lol

There are dozens of forum threads here and on redit talking about how it was a big/issue they could not or did not want to spare the time to fix. they in the end accepted it as part of the game and because of it caused a very imbalanced pvp system and janky combat that's good on some classes and specs and bad on others. just google it or reply and i will post you many links and comment talking about the subject.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are dozens of forum threads here and on redit talking about how it was a big/issue they could not or did not want to spare the time to fix. they in the end accepted it as part of the game and because of it caused a very imbalanced pvp system and janky combat that's good on some classes and specs and bad on others. just google it or reply and i will post you many links and comment talking about the subject.

There's nothing to fix and I highly suspect that you don't even know what it is you're complaining about, which is usually the case when it comes to people who whine about this very thing. Some knowledge will help you. If my wife, who has arthritis in her hands can do this, anybody can.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »

There's nothing to fix and I highly suspect that you don't even know what it is you're complaining about, which is usually the case when it comes to people who whine about this very thing. Some knowledge will help you. If my wife, who has arthritis in her hands can do this, anybody can.

Is Animation Cancelling a Feature, not a Bug?

"It was an unintended effect, but eventually accepted feature of the game"

"It's a mechanic flaw, like most games that have it. Devs are typically too lazy to fix it or don't care to. Use it if you want to although some elitist might actually scold you for not doing it. The game doesn't require it but it'd still make you murder things faster."

"It was unintentional, but the consensus of the devs and basically any skilled player is that it adds a layer to the combat system that makes it much more dynamic, fun, and skill-based. As the game has developed, it is clear that the developers have designed skills and balanced content with AC in mind. This is particularly true with the recent patch. Experienced light attack weavers are now even further ahead of the rest, as light attacks have moved into the first or second spot on most damage recaps."

"Devs mentioned it was unintended and that it is now an accepted part of the game fully endorsed by Zos."

"Animation cancelling is cheating and the developers encourages this practice because their unable to fix the bug."

Need i go on? there's literally hundreds more... Wanna say i don't know what i'm talking about again? I've played the game since day 1 and it's getting worse now with AC.
  • StytchFingal
    StytchFingal
    ✭✭✭
    If water being wet, ice being cold, feathers being hollow, and joints being hinged are bugs then I suppose animation cancelling is a bug.
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    If water being wet, ice being cold, feathers being hollow, and joints being hinged are bugs then I suppose animation cancelling is a bug.

So you think they really intended you to have the ability to press a key so fast that in the split micro second of an eye the skill does off, does it's buff or its dmg and then instantly goes into the next attack without you being able to hardly notice it? is that what you're telling me? I can basically do an entire attack for free without 95% of it's animation or sound playing and spam directly into the next attack and you think that is normal?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you think they really intended you to have the ability to press a key so fast that in the split micro second of an eye the skill does off, does it's buff or its dmg and then instantly goes into the next attack without you being able to hardly notice it? is that what you're telling me? I can basically do an entire attack for free without 95% of it's animation or sound playing and spam directly into the next attack and you think that is normal?

Ouchie. I can take time to dissect this mess and point out every single misconception but I think at this point I've done it so many times that I can't be bothered.

You have no idea what animation cancelling is and how it works.
  • StytchFingal
    StytchFingal
    ✭✭✭

I don't know what game you are describing, but it is not ESO.

And you completely misunderstood me. I did not say that AC was intended. Nor did I say AC was non-intended. AC is simply an emergent property of the game.

Gravity is not "about" falling.
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've recently removed a few comments that were inappropriate and baiting in nature. This is a reminder that comments need to remain on topic and free of insults.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

huh?

it's literally ONE extra light-attack every second.

what is this micro-second, 95% reduction, free, ultra fast, clicking that breaks your Razer Naga?

click LA, click skill "right away" to start a skill. not free. not "micro second". it cuts about half (u even know how fast light attacks are?) animation, and if ur Naga breaks, go get a Logitech mouse.

yo, ur Razer even support macro if u can't keep up. I know, I had a Naga and now on my Naga Hex.

no i dont do macro coz I pvp and weaving/cancelling has minimum impact with all the lag....

this thread is hilarious.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭

Ouchie. I can take time to dissect this mess and point out every single misconception but I think at this point I've done it so many times that I can't be bothered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLJqF6X1wU

That's the video i watched. watch it and tell me i have no idea what it is... I'm starting to think the people defending AC have no idea what AC even is.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the video i watched. watch it and tell me i have no idea what it is... I'm starting to think the people defending AC have no idea what AC even is.

Yep, you watched the video and still understood nothing.

I'll give you a couple of pointers. The words you are looking for are GCD, instant skill, skill resolution point.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, they have done this on purpose as a first step to getting rid of "weaving" and animation cancelling.
    Lethal zergling
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt that animation canceling was not hard to learn, but it is a bad thing in my mind. Mainly because it contributes so greatly to dps that if you have any kind of latency you will begin to see your dps drop significantly more, compared to the dps differences in the case where animation canceling had not been a thing.

And I say this with the acceptance of it at face value. If you want good dps, you will LA weave and animation cancel.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    It feels atrosious to even do... it does not feel good good.

I'll give you a couple of pointers. The words you are looking for are GCD, instant skill, skill resolution point.

I understand it, it just feels horrible looks horrible plays horrible and serves no purpose other than to boost dos with a fake cast. It's a trashy mechanic for combat thay was not polished.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I understand it, it just feels horrible looks horrible plays horrible and serves no purpose other than to boost dos with a fake cast. It's a trashy mechanic for combat thay was not polished.

Instead of complaining about something that will never change maybe move on to another game? No one is forcing you to play or weave.

At this point whether it was intended or not is irrelevant, the mechanic is here to stay. It would be like playing Super Smash Bro's Melee and complaining about all the "bug's" that allowed you to animation cancel when that game has become arguably the most fun and technically advanced Smash to date with entire tournaments dedicated to the game 20+ years after release.

Glitches and Bug's that aren't game breaking aren't always a bad thing. In this games case it added a layer to the combat that many other games adopted like Smash. Many people enjoy it despite the vocal minority you may find complaining about weaving and ZOS has fully adopted it building sets and tutorials around it.

Furthermore, animation cancelling is in EVERYTHING you do in the game. You remove that, then have fun waiting for your animation to finish before you dodge roll or block. You want the game to be slower to keep up with you.. no thanks.

The damage light/heavy attacks do is the only possible change I see happening to raise the floor and lower the ceiling..
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't understand it, because of you did you would have realized how important this concept is to the game. There are some players that even came up with combinations of AC tactics that other players don't even use (skill - cancel bar swap to snb bar-bash being one of them).

You'll will also realize the system requires you to understand weaving, where you add a light attack after each skill. You need to learn this and fast if you truly want to enjoy the game at end game level.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great stealth anti-weaving thread. Went from “I can’t animation cancel” to “weaving is a sin” in a split second.
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭

So.. have you never played mortal combat or any other fighting game that utilizes a set of buttons to perform a combo? Think of light attack weaving as one long, drawn out combo. You literally just hit the light attack button between skills..

If you have any kind of problems with doing this simple task, then I bid you good day, and farewell. Don’t let the fictional door hit you in the bum on your way out.

P.S if you’re a quester/casual player, then there’s literally no reason for you to concern yourself with this or complain about it. What do you get out of complaining? Why is this such a bad concept to you? Is it just because you can’t do it so you’re jealous? I don’t get these kinds of posts.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    Great stealth anti-weaving thread. Went from “I can’t animation cancel” to “weaving is a sin” in a split second.

^This. Lol this.
This discussion has been closed.