Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Jorvuld's Set for Tanking

Ninga0809
Ninga0809
I see most guides out there recommending Jorvuld's on healers, but how come no one is using Jorvuld's for tanking. The extra mag recovery is nice and you can have longer warhorn up time. Thoughts?
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ninga0809 wrote: »
    I see most guides out there recommending Jorvuld's on healers, but how come no one is using Jorvuld's for tanking. The extra mag recovery is nice and you can have longer warhorn up time. Thoughts?

It's just that you really, really want Alkosh. Alkosh is all medium, if you combine it with Jorvulds you're either in all light or all medium, which can be fine in some contents, but why not go PA then?

I mean it's not bad don't get me wrong, you just have better options.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ebon and alkosh is just better then more warhorn. but it is your tank, run what you like, on my warden tank, i have ran sanctuary/livewire before so unless there is a trial lead that is making you run sets, do what you like.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 24, 2019 8:59PM
  • Ninga0809
    Ninga0809
    Ninga0809 wrote: »

It's just that you really, really want Alkosh. Alkosh is all medium, if you combine it with Jorvulds you're either in all light or all medium, which can be fine in some contents, but why not go PA then?

I mean it's not bad don't get me wrong, you just have better options.

Ah that makes sense....thanks
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’d have to slot it on your weapons and jewelry to avoid tanking in light armor.

Plus, I’d rather use it on a Warden Tank ... which has a way better buff toolkit than Necromancer or Dragonknight.

But, the extended Warhorn uptime is appealing for sure.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alkosh is a king because it is literally "higher group damage by ~9% (with 100% uptime) which in trials is very good. But if one of your dds wear alkosh, jorvulds can work
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Alkosh is a king because it is literally "higher group damage by ~9% (with 100% uptime) which in trials is very good. But if one of your dds wear alkosh, jorvulds can work

it is 6%, not 9%, 3000/500, since mobs in pve are technically level 50, so they have a mac of 50k armor, though dungeon/trial mobs all have 18200 spell and physical resists.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it is 6%, not 9%, 3000/500, since mobs in pve are technically level 50, so they have a mac of 50k armor, though dungeon/trial mobs all have 18200 spell and physical resists.

Uh i remembered 9%, you are probably right though, 3010/660=4.56, i might have calculated that 18,100 is 50% instead of 33k when i did long ago, so it is probably lower than what u said
    Edited by zvavi on May 25, 2019 6:30PM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Uh i remembered 9%, you are probably right though, 3010/660=4.56, i might have calculated that 18,100 is 50% instead of 33k when i did long ago, so it is probably lower than what u said

mobs is pve dungoens and trials are level 50, not level 66 like players technically are, so their 100% armor is 50,000, so that 18.2k armor (which is 36.4% damage mitigation when they are attacked) that they have is divided by 500 and not 660, like it is for players. so alkoshs 3k armor debuff is a 6% increase in damage for players.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it’s not as simple as 6%.

On a one level it is that simple. 3000 is 6% mitigation. Very true. But if what you are asking is, “how much will this increase my groups damage?” The answer is not 6%. The math just doesn’t work that way.

Assuming no over penetration then the answer is somewhere between 6.4 and 9.5%.

How?

Important Monsters have 18,500 mitigation which equals 37% mitigation. Now how much is Alkosh going to boost my groups DPS?

Most extreme case is no other armor pen. So monster was going to be taking 63% of the potential damage. 100% - 37% mitigation = 63%. Alkosh steps in and gives 6% back. Boosting damage from 63% of potential to 69% of potential. That is a 9.5% increase in the actual damage the group was doing.

Most extreme case on other end is if mob is full debuffed except that last 6%. So creature is taking 94% of the potential damage. Alkosh gives the last 6% back. Group DPS goes from 94% of potential to 100% of potential damage. That is a 6.4% increase in group damage.

So yes, it is taking away a flat 6% mitigation from the creature. But that can translate to anywhere between a 6.4% to a 9.5% increase in actual damage output depending on group set up.

Just turn it into real numbers for proof. My attack has a tool tip of 10,000 damage. Mobs resistances if 18,500 mean I only do 63% if that. My attack is doing 6,300 damage as I spam it. Alkish debuffs it and gives me back 6% of the tool tip. Now my spam does 6,900 damage. Alkosh bumped my damage from 6,300 to 6,900. That’s an increase of 600. 600/6,300= 0.095. It boosted me 9.5%.
    Edited by BejaProphet on May 26, 2019 11:48AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With new Yolna there is even less space for other sets. I mean somebody should run ebon, yolna and alkosh ALWAYS. So it's only 1 set left which is basically either torug or powerful assault since they provide unique buffs.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Important Monsters have 18,500 mitigation which equals 37% mitigation.

No. All mobs in 4 man dungeons and 12 man trials have 18,200 armor and spell resistance. It is easy to check, just use the 2h ulti.

The rest of your comment is off simply because of that little mistake.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Ok, let’s grant you are right on that number for the sake of argument.

What would follow is that my numbers are slightly skewed. Everything I said is correct in principle even if the number is 18,200.

Saying that 6% mitigation debuffing equals a flat 6% damage boost to the group is wrong. And you can verify that with math.

Your attempt to side step that by a detail is dumb.

EDIT NOTE: If the dungeon mitigation value is 18.2k. That would mean that Alkosh (assuming no over pen again) boosts dps from 9.43% to 6.4% rather than my posted 9.5% to 6.4%.
    Edited by BejaProphet on May 26, 2019 12:57PM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Ok, let’s grant you are right on that number for the sake of argument.

What would follow is that my numbers are slightly skewed. Everything I said is correct in principle even if the number is 18,200.

Saying that 6% mitigation debuffing equals a flat 6% damage boost to the group is wrong. And you can verify that with math.

Your attempt to side step that by a detail is dumb.

k
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing it would affect on your horn is major force, it wont have any effect on how much longer the max stam or max mag lasts because they are not major or minor buffs

If you're tanking on a dk, you'll be using igneous shields realistically more than how ever long minor brutality lasts, the set is much better run on a healer
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    The only thing it would affect on your horn is major force, it wont have any effect on how much longer the max stam or max mag lasts because they are not major or minor buffs

If you're tanking on a dk, you'll be using igneous shields realistically more than how ever long minor brutality lasts, the set is much better run on a healer

Definitely can you utilize Jorvuld's Guidance on a healer very effectively for warhorn, especially with the new minor Heroism potion... Which duration is also increased by Jorvuld's on yourself.
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the math here is slightly off. It is not a simple flat 6 percent increase. At most, it'll be a 9.46 percent increase to damage done. At smallest, it'll be a 6.4 percent increase in damage done.

Recall the formula for determining percentage difference:

(Final - initial)/initial

This is simplified into:

Final/Initial - 1

To determine mitigation, the formula is as follows:

100 - (18200 - debuffs)/500

So to determine how much damage you are getting from Alkosh, you just use your two resistance values. So if the 3010 gets you to the full 18200, you get the following:

[100 - (18200 - 18200)/500]/[100 - (18200 - 15190)/500] - 1

This gives you 0.064, or 6.4 percent more damage done due to Alkosh.
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the math here is slightly off. It is not a simple flat 6 percent increase. At most, it'll be a 9.46 percent increase to damage done. At smallest, it'll be a 6.4 percent increase in damage done.

Recall the formula for determining percentage difference:

(Final - initial)/initial

This is simplified into:

Final/Initial - 1

To determine mitigation, the formula is as follows:

100 - (18200 - debuffs)/500

So to determine how much damage you are getting from Alkosh, you just use your two resistance values. So if the 3010 gets you to the full 18200, you get the following:

[100 - (18200 - 18200)/500]/[100 - (18200 - 15190)/500] - 1

This gives you 0.064, or 6.4 percent more damage done due to Alkosh.

K