The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How can I estimate how much DPS a build could theoretically be getting?

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'm trying to be original and make my own character build but I'm struggling with working out how I can guess what my DPS will be.

Is there any way I can make an estimate?

TIA.
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a simple DPS formula, I am afraid that would get very complicated very quickly. But why guess? Only one way to find out. Build it, test it, make adjustments, and repeat.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are looking for a simple DPS formula, I am afraid that would get very complicated very quickly. But why guess? Only one way to find out. Build it, test it, make adjustments, and repeat.

I suppose you're right. Was just wondering if there was a way I could cut out the travelling between guild house and respec shrine.

Admittedly, looking a website that tells you everything might be a symptom of my Elite Dangerous career, where fans made several such tools for ship configurations.

I'll give your suggestion a go though!
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose you're right. Was just wondering if there was a way I could cut out the travelling between guild house and respec shrine.

Admittedly, looking a website that tells you everything might be a symptom of my Elite Dangerous career, where fans made several such tools for ship configurations.

I'll give your suggestion a go though!

You can certainly look to parses of someone like Liko. He might not be running the same build exactly as you (likely not), but he pretty much runs meta and keeps an almost perfect uptime on his skills. Looking at his parses would at least give some insight on skill potential. Another move is to just try to test your skills in isolation and see what kind of DPS they generate with near perfect uptimes.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to run back and forth so much? Most skills are pretty obvious as to which one is the better damage morph. You really shouldnt have to mess with attributes, as for the most part, they should all be in your primary resource unless you are doing some sort of weird hybrid build.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s entirely your own build and you don’t want to/can’t test it on the PTS, I think your best bet is the UESP build editor and a lot of math. Plot out your gear, skills, and cp, plot out your rotation, and then input buffs/debuffs for each step in your rotation. Look at tooltip values for every skill in your rotation, factor in crit values and chances, subtract expected enemy resists, and then just add them together according to your rotation. Factor in scaling from passives such as executes or the amplitude passive if a sorc across the amount of damage you’d expect to do (e.g., a 6 mil dummy) and then figure out how many cycles of your rotation you’d need to complete to do that much damage, figure out how many seconds it’d take to do that many cycles, and divide the total by that number. And you get a very (very) rough estimate of dps.

(Edit: theoretical equations aren’t my strongest suit so please call me out if I got something wrong)
    Edited by jypcy on May 21, 2019 8:02PM
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A long time ago, there was someone who "simulated" fights to estimate DPS: https://tamrielfoundry.com/articles/introduction-to-pve-damage-calculation-homestead/

Obviously that takes an incredible amount of time and effort and smarts.

The easiest thing to do is use something like the UESP Build Editor (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor). You can tweak things in the build and determine what is "better" by looking at Effective Weapon Power or Effective Spell Power.

However, as far as how that translates to DPS, that's all in the rotation, and that's where simulating DPS gets complicated.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the insight friends.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor

Make your build on this website. Look at the "Effective Weapon/Spell Damage" stats. The build with higher number will do higher DPS as long as no procs are involved. For example, you will have higher Effective Weapon Damage with Hunding's compared to Relequen but we all know what the actual difference is. But yeah, that number will give you the optimal results most of the time as it did for me. Good luck ^^