The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Top PvP classes in upcoming patch?

NecromanticKing
So, I'm fairly new and this is my first venture into PvP. I made an Orc Stamden I've yet to start leveling, but StamDK looks pretty fun and I hear they're getting good buffs next patch. I also haven't seen the Necromancer in action yet. Can anyone with experience weigh in on what a good first PvP class would be, or what's going to be strong come next patch?

Best Answer

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, if I'm looking to bash skulls in and be generally obnoxious to kill, would you suggest Stamden or StamDK as a starting PvP class?

@NecromanticKing

Tough call. I usually see stamwardens more offensive oriented and stamDKs more defensive, but that might change post patch.

Stamwardens have better aoe and group healing, DKs are dots and self healing. I’d make the choice along those lines, everything else can be made up for with gear.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Answer ✓
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still petsorc.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In no particular order:

Pet sorc (but most sorcs would drop the pet in a heartbeat if they fixed/buffed healing ward)

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

Edited by The_Lex on May 15, 2019 11:15AM
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of different types of PVP right now. We have open world cyro, small scale groups in cyro, solo BGs, organized BGs.

For all of those i'd say stam warden will do exceptionally well. Pet Sorcs are also pretty good, but aren't that good when against organized people.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s too early to say, there weren’t a lot of BGs on PTS.

Right now I’d say the two strongest classes are magsorcs and stamwarden pre-changes. Lots of things are being changed on PTS, with magicka getting a snare removal and aoes being buffed. Give it a couple of months after the patch hits and time for people to adjust to the changes and you’ll get better responses.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 15, 2019 4:43PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rather than picking a strong class i advise you to pick one that suits your playstyle.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Different classes are strong in different contexts.

All classes are strong in some context except....stamplars? Anybody psyched on stamplar next patch? IDK, not me.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc no contest.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vietfox wrote: »
    Rather than picking a strong class i advise you to pick one that suits your playstyle.

This. I was a magplar at launch. I played for 2 years non-stop. I jumped back in yesterday, did a minor respeck to my toon and went right into Cyrodill with 760 something CP. It was fine.

PVP is a lot more about situational awareness then how good you pew pew pew something. There are a ton of people who would smoke me in a 1 on 1, but those same people are not nearly as effective as me in a group on group situation like a keep assault or defense.

You just need to recognize what YOU are good at and maximize that. No one is good at everything but EVERYONE can be OP at something.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc
    DK

NB/Warden
    Temp

Necro in there somewhere
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    In no particular order:

Pet sorc (but most sorcs would drop the pet in a heartbeat if they fixed/buffed healing ward)

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

did u put sDK there when they troll tank? or actually doing DPS? or both?

I really like to continue using sDK in Elswyr, but looking at the state of PTS, I feel like I need to jump ship to mDK......

how do top PvP sDK plays out? 7th and Fury with sword-n-board?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • MassiveFumes
    MassiveFumes
    ✭✭
    magblade where mi hermanos at?
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Zerg. It always wins.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

Except ZOS in all their wisdom doubled-down with another Resto nerf, pushing the last few nonpet Sorcs towards pet builds even more.

I expect mDK to be a strong contender for top spot along with petsorc. Idk enough about the necros to predict how they'll fit into the lineup though.
    Edited by TheYKcid on May 16, 2019 1:21PM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

Except ZOS in all their wisdom doubled-down with another Resto nerf, pushing the last few nonpet Sorcs towards pet builds even more.

I expect mDK to be a strong contender for top spot along with petsorc. Idk enough about the necros to predict how they'll fit into the lineup though.

Makes no sense to push sorcs towards using something that half the class mains hate and have never wanted to use.

Pets are a cancer in this game and PvP would only get better if they were removed.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

Makes no sense to push sorcs towards using something that half the class mains hate and have never wanted to use.

Pets are a cancer in this game and PvP would only get better if they were removed.

Couldn't agree more!
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

did u put sDK there when they troll tank? or actually doing DPS? or both?

I really like to continue using sDK in Elswyr, but looking at the state of PTS, I feel like I need to jump ship to mDK......

how do top PvP sDK plays out? 7th and Fury with sword-n-board?

The nerf to RAT will push me one way or the other, depending how it performs.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

Agreed. I'd drop that Matriarch in a heartbeat.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wasnt the old crit surge skill much sexier for healing? I remember it having no cooldown at 50% dmg off crits and no battlespirit at the time.

Would that mechanic back replace the need for twilight?
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    wasnt the old crit surge skill much sexier for healing? I remember it having no cooldown at 50% dmg off crits and no battlespirit at the time.

I think surge is affected by Battlespirit. Either way, Matriarch heals for more than BoL (and is cheaper too) and heals whether you are critting or not. Plus, imo, damage is too high in Cyro to rely on surge alone.

EDIT: if they would revert it back to where crit surge used to be, or shields for that matter, that would help sorcs drop the pet.

Edited by The_Lex on May 16, 2019 2:58PM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think surge is affected by Battlespirit. Either way, Matriarch heals for more than BoL (and is cheaper too) and heals whether you are critting or not. Plus, imo, damage is too high in Cyro to rely on surge alone.

EDIT: if they would revert it back to where crit surge used to be, or shields for that matter, that would help sorcs drop the pet.

Stop spreading misinformation.

BoL/HoTD are both cheaper (far cheaper for HoTD) and give more healing (from the tooltip and from the templar healing passives) than the matriarch healing.

• The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »

BoL/HoTD are both cheaper (far cheaper for HoTD) and give more healing (from the tooltip and from the templar healing passives) than the matriarch healing.

Calm down, speedy.

Okay, maybe not more than BoL, but it's pretty close. And who was talking about HoTD? Plus, it's an omni directional heal, so very ideal under chaotic circumstances. I have Temp and Sorc healers. I'd much rather use my Sorc.

This whole issue was talking about Sorcs anyway. No need to defend your Templar. As already stated, if ZOS didn't screw around with Healing Ward, most Sorcs would not be running the Matriarch and your Templar heal button wouldn't feel nearly as threatened.

Edited by The_Lex on May 16, 2019 4:58PM
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vietfox wrote: »

This. I was a magplar at launch. I played for 2 years non-stop. I jumped back in yesterday, did a minor respeck to my toon and went right into Cyrodill with 760 something CP. It was fine.

PVP is a lot more about situational awareness then how good you pew pew pew something. There are a ton of people who would smoke me in a 1 on 1, but those same people are not nearly as effective as me in a group on group situation like a keep assault or defense.

You just need to recognize what YOU are good at and maximize that. No one is good at everything but EVERYONE can be OP at something.

good luck killing anyone with half the brain on a magplar.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• NecromanticKing
    So, if I'm looking to bash skulls in and be generally obnoxious to kill, would you suggest Stamden or StamDK as a starting PvP class?
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Calm down, speedy.

Okay, maybe not more than BoL, but it's pretty close. And who was talking about HoTD? Plus, it's an omni directional heal, so very ideal under chaotic circumstances. I have Temp and Sorc healers. I'd much rather use my Sorc.

This whole issue was talking about Sorcs anyway. No need to defend your Templar. As already stated, if ZOS didn't screw around with Healing Ward, most Sorcs would not be running the Matriarch and your Templar heal button wouldn't feel nearly as threatened.

I'm a magsorc main speedy.

And it's not that close. Sorc use matriach for themself in PvP they don't spam it as healer, it's FAR too expensive, HoTD is a better option all the day for self healing and even healing other people in PvP.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by The_Lex on May 16, 2019 11:29PM
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Calm down, speedy.

I'm a magsorc main speedy.

And it's not that close. Sorc use matriach for themself in PvP they don't spam it as healer, it's FAR too expensive, HoTD is a better option all the day for self healing and even healing other people in PvP.

Clearly you're having a hard time understanding the main point.

Breathe in, breathe out. Just relax.

• Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

:o No magblade? :'(

WTB pet sorc pvp lessons. ;)

j/k :)
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still magsorc. Nothing new.

Runner up? Probably magDKs
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In no particular order:

mDK

sDK

Stamcro

Stamden

Pets should have been a world skill, called "Wildlife Taming" or something like that. Too many sorc abilities are pets, it leaves little room for stamsorc abilities and morphs.