The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I'm going to call this a bug: update your housing achievement

Petoften
Petoften
✭✭✭
My main char is, of course, my crafter, and I want to buy housing storage using the master writ rewards.

My char started in Summerset and got his free apartment in Alinor.

When I go to buy the storage, guess what - I can't. It requires the 'permanent housing' achievement.

How do you get that? By owning one of three apartments at an inn - the original three available. But when the game expanded, with new starting areas, new apartments - the achievement was not updated. And once you get the Summerset apartment you can never get the original three apartments or the achievement.

So, there's a kludgy workaround - make an alt, have him get the apartment, transfer the currency, have him buy the storage - I shouldn't have to. Update the achievement.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Petoften

Evidently, yes, there is an error in the addition of the Golden Gryphon room in Alinor as a "free" introductory homestead. Whether the current outcome results from an error in the source code, on the face of it, it seems to be a flaw in the feature's design. The ZOS developers have a long history of failing to recognize all of the ramifications of changing an existing feature or introducing a new one. Definitely, IMHO, this bug or flaw should be corrected. However, they are currently pre-occupied with preparing the Elsweyr chapter for release, and are probably already working on the next DLC and/or "chapter" that will follow it. Apparently, their managers do not perceive any financial incentive either to correct errors, or to develop software with fewer oversights and errors. So I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for them to act. :neutral:

Edited by Shadowshire on May 16, 2019 1:51AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    The same issue will hit Elsweyr, when THAT free room isn't on the achievement, either.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you not buy the original three apartments on your main? It certainly has been possible in the past, regardless of starter zone.

I bought the two other Alliance starting apartments (via the preview option) after acquiring the first one free on my main. They were 3k gold each or thereabouts. You actually can’t purchase them with crowns, iirc. In fact, all of my toons are the same faction, and I’ve only ever bought houses on my main.

If getting the free apartment in Alinor prevents your character from ever purchasing the three starting apartments (plus St. Delyn’s, I would imagine), then that’s a bigger bug, and it blocks more than one achievement. If you can work around it by buying one of the original three, then there’s no need for a new toon at all. Ideally both the Summerset and Vvardenfell apartments would be updated to grant this achievement, no question, but 3k is a small price in the grand scheme of things.
  • Chosin137
    Chosin137
    ✭✭
    Don't worry a lot of stuff gets updated and fixed and or broken with new expansions! So now the books from Summerset and you know bugged since the beginning of the game are now not bugged!
  • ZAD1ST
    ZAD1ST
    ✭✭✭
    If you use another character to by and Inn room, then log out, and visit that inn with your main does that trip the achievement? Like when you decorate a home, get an achievement you can visit on another character and get the decoration achievement on the alt.
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭

ZAD1ST wrote: »
    If you use another character to by and Inn room, then log out, and visit that inn with your main does that trip the achievement? Like when you decorate a home, get an achievement you can visit on another character and get the decoration achievement on the alt.

Yes, that worked. That makes this easier to deal with, but it isn't clear at first. They should update the achievement.
  • ShellaSunshine
    ShellaSunshine
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bug.

Only one character can complete one housing quest.

In order to get Mara's Kiss (Auridon), The Rosy Lion (Glenumbra), and The Ebony Flask (Stonefalls) inn rooms for free then you would need to create 3 toons to do the housing quest in those alliances.

Same with the inn rooms in the chapter zones: Saint Delyn (Vivec) and Golden Gryphon (Summerset). You would need to create 2 more toons to get those rooms for free.

Then you log into your main and visit Mara's Kiss, The Rosy Lion, and The Ebony Flask and the achievement will pop.

NOTE: You do not have to be a member of that alliance to get those rooms. All you need is a new character that has not done the housing quest and be in that zone to get that inn room for free.

This is the way it has always been. One housing quest per character.
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is a bug.

The bug is not that you can't get multiple free rooms on one chat.

The bug is that buying storage requires the 'permanent resident' achievement, and that that achievement ONLY recognizes the fist three free rooms but Alinor's free wasn't added.

So when you play the game, and get Alinor for your free rroom, you don't get the achievement, and that character cannot ever buy storage from the master writ vendor without another char getting one of the first three rooms.

The bug is not about who can get what apartments.

The bug is that the permanent resident achievement needs to get updated when new free room are made available so that one char paying the game, getting a free room, can buy storage without needing an alt.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also just buy one of those three inn rooms to get the achievemnt on your main. For a mighty price of 3000 gold. It's really a lot more minor than you are trying to claim...
  • HeartInABox
    HeartInABox
    ✭✭
    It's not a bug.

Only one character can complete one housing quest.

In order to get Mara's Kiss (Auridon), The Rosy Lion (Glenumbra), and The Ebony Flask (Stonefalls) inn rooms for free then you would need to create 3 toons to do the housing quest in those alliances.

Same with the inn rooms in the chapter zones: Saint Delyn (Vivec) and Golden Gryphon (Summerset). You would need to create 2 more toons to get those rooms for free.

Then you log into your main and visit Mara's Kiss, The Rosy Lion, and The Ebony Flask and the achievement will pop.

NOTE: You do not have to be a member of that alliance to get those rooms. All you need is a new character that has not done the housing quest and be in that zone to get that inn room for free.

This is the way it has always been. One housing quest per character.

StellaSunshine, I want to thank you greatly! Ive been digging around for a week, trying to figure out why I couldn't get my "free inn/apt". In my case I had to drop the old "a friend in need". Then I was able to walk up to Felande Demari, (A room to spare) who was standing next to the enterance to the particualr Apt. Done, had my new free Apt. The thanks going to you is, after reading your post I was able to get all six(!) with different characters. Elsweyr had just released. My many thx to you and your time. Wish I'd known about this sooner.
    Edited by HeartInABox on July 28, 2019 2:27AM
    Wishing all, a pleasant Day/Afternoon/Evening. Thank you for your time.