The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

need help discouraged with pvp dont do hardly any dmg

devilo_6644
devilo_6644
Soul Shriven
Hi im 2h stam dk im not the best when i comes to pvp but idk if its my skills i do alot of dmg in pve but yesterday i was fighting a sorc and he wasnt even attacking me was focusing on teammate and i spammed him with like four or five wrecking blows before he started to move and attack me but each one hardley even scratched his health only taking what like looked like 1 percent of his health away each hit im in full legendary gear mediuam armor have 5k weapon dmg and 44 percent crit chance so i see no reason why my attack should of done so little to him any idea why that happeded?
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc is OP. Take any other class a baseline.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were probably just smacking a 12k shield with decent resistances that's why it seemed like you weren't doing anything.

Even a basic sorc build shackle/necro/chudan will give you an incredibly hardy shield.
  • Grandesdar
    Grandesdar
    ✭✭✭
    So, is there any way to counter this other than starting a magsorc?
    Main: The Charismatic StamDK DD
    Side: A Handsome Warden Healer
    Side: (upcoming) Stam Necro DD
    CP: 680
    EU PSN: Style3513
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your penetration numbers?

Also what's your Stam number? 5k damage is high, but if you're sitting at like 31k Stam you're at solid damage - just not insane

My sorc has both impreg and armor master, meaning it has roughly 29k resistance and plenty of crit resistance.

Let's say your DS has a 14k tooltip. 7k real damage, then resistance brings it to roughly 4k. That's less than my hardened ward. Even if you crit you'll need x2 attacks to break my shield.

DS cast time is gonna give me plenty of time to recast a shield after 1 or 2 hits. - I could indefinitely out last your DS.

You're looking for sustained damage pressure + burst. So DoTs into a DS into a Dawnbreaker into an execute is what you want.

Sustained damage + burst.

Just walking away at someone won't do much
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • devilo_6644
    devilo_6644
    Soul Shriven
    My penetration is at 7k from cp and noxious breath and my stamina was at 35k because i was using food at the time but my base stamina is 30k
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should always apply your dots first. You should do venom claw, breath if you run it, rending if you back bar dw then go into wrecking blow to dragon leap to execute. Or if you really are having that hard of a time use corrosive armor on your back bar for longer fights with sorcs because that gets rid of resistances. Or you can also use the 2h ultimate because it negates their resistances and gives them to you as well.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You’re looking at pvp like pve. Weapon damage isn’t as important as penetration. For pvp it goes: penetration > weapon damage > stamina > crit.

I’d also change wrecking blow for dizzy swing.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • bigelle.x3_ESO
    bigelle.x3_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Fossilize and witness the miracle of cc
    Edited by bigelle.x3_ESO on May 12, 2019 8:07PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My penetration is at 7k from cp and noxious breath and my stamina was at 35k because i was using food at the time but my base stamina is 30k

I think I see an issue. One is your penetration is low, and two is if most of your penetration is coming from CP then I think your CP allotment is a bit off
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • devilo_6644
    devilo_6644
    Soul Shriven
    ok thanks guys ima mess around with my gear and skills abit maybe use more dot skills and change gear get more penetration
  • devilo_6644
    devilo_6644
    Soul Shriven
    also its worth using inpen someone told me to use that instead of infused on gear is it worth it?
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    also its worth using inpen someone told me to use that instead of infused on gear is it worth it?

Impen is bread and butter of 99% PvP build's ;)
    PC EU - DC only
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »

Impen is bread and butter of 99% PvP build's ;)

Especially in CP. There's really only two traits that even can be considered over impen and that's sturdy and well-fitted; both of which must be built around and both have their own form of mitigation.

Outside of those niches, impen is King by a far margin.

Penetration, with Shields inheriting resistance, has become much like impen - always good. You can absolutely count on an opponent rocking 14k+ (14k is just light armor + standard major buff) with protective Jewelry most builds are rocking 20k+

It's very difficult to argue over-penetration in this meta
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

I love how this is the kneejerk response, rather than the much likelier alternative (i.e. the fact that the OP still needs to tweak his build)...

OP: as has been mentioned, focus on building for maximum penetration until you get comfortable enough with stamDK PVP to try alternate builds. Spriggans is a tried and true penetration set option for all stam builds. I know you’re using Noxious Breath, but also consider using Ransack if you’re having trouble landing Noxious. I personally always used to struggle to hit fast-moving targets with Noxious when I first started PVPing on stamDK, and had better success with Ransack. Also, since DKs lack burst, you NEED to lock your targets down whenever you can — especially sorcs. If sorcs can’t recast their magicka shields, they’re vulnerable to your dots. DKs are CC masters, and you must at the very least use Fossilize, which is easily the most OP CC skill in the game.

If you want more in-depth pointers and builds, just let us know, and we can point you in the right direction. :)

Oh, and yes — definitely wear impen armour. If you dodge roll a lot, you can go 5 impen, 2 well-fitted to help with your sustain. If not, go for full impen.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

I love how this is the kneejerk response, rather than the much likelier alternative (i.e. the fact that the OP still needs to tweak his build)...

OP: as has been mentioned, focus on building for maximum penetration until you get comfortable enough with stamDK PVP to try alternate builds. Spriggans is a tried and true penetration set option for all stam builds. I know you’re using Noxious Breath, but also consider using Ransack if you’re having trouble landing Noxious. I personally always used to struggle to hit fast-moving targets with Noxious when I first started PVPing on stamDK, and had better success with Ransack. Also, since DKs lack burst, you NEED to lock your targets down whenever you can — especially sorcs. If sorcs can’t recast their magicka shields, they’re vulnerable to your dots. DKs are CC masters, and you must at the very least use Fossilize, which is easily the most OP CC skill in the game.

If you want more in-depth pointers and builds, just let us know, and we can point you in the right direction. :)

Oh, and yes — definitely wear impen armour. If you dodge roll a lot, you can go 5 impen, 2 well-fitted to help with your sustain. If not, go for full impen.

Nope.

Definately a well disguised 'nerf sorc' thread.
    Edited by Haquor on May 13, 2019 12:07PM
  • armeegrun
    armeegrun
    ✭✭
    So, someone was telling me that for my DK, I should run duel wield instead of s/b on the front bar, I have two handed maul back bar. Running 7th and Fury, anyone suggest duel is better then s/b? Thoughts.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WANT HELP?

POST YOUR BUILD!
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorc
    warden

dk
    templar

nb
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    armeegrun wrote: »
    So, someone was telling me that for my DK, I should run duel wield instead of s/b on the front bar, I have two handed maul back bar. Running 7th and Fury, anyone suggest duel is better then s/b? Thoughts.

No, 2hander and sword and board is better. It’s a solid choice.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

No, 2hander and sword and board is better. It’s a solid choice.

I guarantee you that the person suggesting DW was thinking of a bleed build - which is solid; but isn't something you just slap on, that's a whole different build.

However things will be quite different after the update, I'm more so thinking (based on PTS feedback I've read) 2h will definitely be the way to go
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok thanks guys ima mess around with my gear and skills abit maybe use more dot skills and change gear get more penetration

Sharpened is awesome, use weapon damage glyph. I'd keep 2.5-3.5k in cP pen and make sure you have about 20% in the crit damage bonus in cp if you're running 45% crit
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

When a damage ability with a cast time does less damage than an instant cast defensive ability mitigates, something isn't right though.

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t use dizzy swing, it’s really bad against good players. Either go with SB and use reverb for your CC and focus on dots and run a 2H backbar for the execute, or you can DW front bar with tending slashes and spin to win and use fossilize for your CC which goes through block and run a 2H backbar for rallly or FM.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam dks have strong dots combined with s&b stuns and defile. Wrecking blow by itself is not strong. Almost all skills by themselves are not much, its about forming combos to burst down opponents.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandesdar wrote: »
    So, is there any way to counter this other than starting a magsorc?

Shield Breaker and Wings. For one more month.
  • armeegrun
    armeegrun
    ✭✭
    My weapons are all infused, was thinking of changing to either nirnhoned or sharpened, any thoughts on this?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My weapons are all infused, was thinking of changing to either nirnhoned or sharpened, any thoughts on this?

Either.

Sharpened is good but doesn't buff your heals. Nirn buffs heals and dmg.

Infused is less attractive to me with the Oblivion glyph nerfs. But can still be on one bar
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sharpened if you’re only doing damage on that bar, nirnhoned if it’s a mix, if it’s a lot healing powered, and if it’s setup like a defense bar defensive. A lot depends on your skill setup.

I think for stamdk I setup nirnhoned. Nirnhoned also performs better if you’re 5 medium.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • armeegrun
    armeegrun
    ✭✭
    On my front bar, I have an axe and shield, and I've slotted Flames of Oblivion, Reflective Plate, Noxious Breath, Pierce Armor with the Flawless DB ultimate. this Axe has a life drain glyph.

Back bar, 2H Axe, and I've slotted Rally, Volatile Armor, Resolving Vigor, Brawler, Executioner and Onslaught as the ultimate. This weapon has a decrease health glyph.

I was thinking of changing the weapons glyphs to maybe poison on the front bar and weapons damage on the back?

• armeegrun
    armeegrun
    ✭✭
    Another thing I've been thinking. The 7th and Hundings is all in heavy, I have 7th Jewelry and weapons, do you think medium for the body pieces is better?, or just keep it at 5 heavy 2 medium?