The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can this CPU handle ESO?

TheShadower92
TheShadower92
✭✭
Hey guys,
So Iv'e been playing ESO on an old pc. The performance was prety darn bad, so I upgraded the pc quite a bit.
Now the specs are:
RTX 2070 (brand new)
16GB RAM
Samsung 500GB SSD
i5-2300 (the current bottleneck).
Mobo is a Gigabyte h61m-s2pv
Running on Windows 10 64 bits.

So the game runs perfect 60fps in 4k in close spaces, like small dungeons.
However, in the open world, the game stutters horribly and fps drops to 30fps and below. Camera movement is clunky, slow and stuttery.
In Cyrodill it's just a mess. The game crashes often when alot of players are crowded together. My CPU is often at 80%-100% usage with ESO running.

For that reason, I'm going to upgrade my CPU.
My old LGA 1155 socket does'nt give me many options, so im going with an i7-3770 (can't get the K version because my mobo will probably not allow OC).
That CPU can get up to 3.9GHZ in Turbo Mode. I found a cheap one on Ebay and thinking of getting it to play ESO.

My question is, do you think this CPU is capable of running ESO properly?
I want a nice, smooth 60fps open world experience, and stable performance in PvP.
I don't expect to get above 60FPS in large fights in Cyrodill, but I do want a nice, stable and not stuttering performance.
Would you say an i7- 3770 would be enough for the task?
Link to CPU's specs: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770+@+3.40GHz&id=896

Many thanks for your opinion :)
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The I7-3770 could bring you to the point where CPU is no longer the bottleneck for good performance. I had an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (somewhere between the I5-2300 and the I7 3770) and didn't really notice better ESO performance when upgrading to an I7-6770k.

But there are some things you should consider:

- The game tends to perform poorly even on powerful machines, there is nothing you can do about bad server performance.
    - The I7-3770 is not bad and much better than your I5, but nevertheless it's outdated.
    - The 'k' variants usually perform a bit better even when not overclocked (but it's not much).

I'm not up do date with graphic cards, so I can't comment on that.
    Edited by Bergzorn on May 6, 2019 5:29PM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    The I7-3770 could bring you to the point where CPU is no longer the bottleneck for good performance. I had an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (somewhere between the I5-2300 and the I7 3770) and didn't really notice better ESO performance when upgrading to an I7-6770k.

- The game tends to perform poorly even on powerful machines, there is nothing you can do about bad server performance.
    - The I7-3770 is not bad and much better than your I5, but nevertheless it's outdated.
    - The 'k' variants usually perform a bit better even when not overclocked (but it's not much).

Thank you very much! :smile:
    According to your advice, the i7-3770 would indeed be a good choice for me, as my GPU is very strong and i believe the current bottleneck is my CPU.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RTX 2070 is more than enough for ESO, but now it's not very good moment to buy it (it will be upgraded with better chip soon, link here). i7-3770 is OK-ish, outdated but will do.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, without a mainboard upgrade the i7-3770 is probably the best you can do and it's definitely worth upgrading from your i5 IMO.

There are some Xeons that fit on the 1155 socket. A few years ago, I used an Xeon E3-1280 for scientific computing (and to heat my office). One difference to the i7 is that the Xeon processors usually perform better than the i7 when multiple cores are under heavy workload. But I have no idea how the prices are and if you even would notice the difference in gaming.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »

Thank you very much! :smile:
    According to your advice, the i7-3770 would indeed be a good choice for me, as my GPU is very strong and i believe the current bottleneck is my CPU.

If you buy this CPU, make sure that you have the right BIOS/UEFI installed on MB before you change CPU. MB vendors have list for which BIOS/UEFI that are supposed to support which CPU. Google for it.
  • PinkieFluff
    PinkieFluff
    Soul Shriven
    I can't comment on the cpu suggestions because I don't have any of the ones mentioned, however I most definitely can verify high end cpu's are struggling with eso do to the game poorly taking advantage of multi-core support. Also the 2070 will be more than enough to run eso. Even with all settings maxed eso doesn't utilize all that my pc has to offer all while going from frames matching my 144hz monitor to 40/50 at times (you do need to make an ini edit to enable frames higher than 100, if you're ever curious). There's definitely a point where the game's engine needs some love and work put into it before you need better pc components, though I'm not sure what cpu would put you above that current mark.
    ScreenShot_20190518095620.png