Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you lower ping spikes?

corvair62
corvair62
✭✭✭
Since the server maintenance last week I've had sever ping spikes. I play on both servers for pc and average 150 to 200 on each. Now when I play it jumps to as high as 4000 to 9000. It happens often enough to be very noticable and makes it difficult to play.

Does anyone have a solution. Uninstall and reinstall(have not done this yet), repair game(did this, no help), try a vpn or software like Kill Ping, reset router(did this too). I'm looking for solid advice. I do not play through steam, all my hard ware is in spec and I have tried lowering the graphics(no help there).

if you have any thoughts on Kill Ping (the software) I would like to hear it. You know if good or bad... Thanks in advance
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those massive lag spikes are so old they're not a bug but a feature.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ping is all about what happens between your machine and the server. ZOS can't do anything about it, except to put more servers in more places, which could reduce the path to the server, but also reduce the population on each one, which could cause other problems. VPN's can guarantee a path, but that could be a worse one than you'd get randomly.

The real culprits are the ISP's that throttle traffic they don't directly profit from. Net neutrality doesn't exist everywhere.