The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hireling Question

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The hireling text says something about every 12 hours. Do we have to actively log into that character every 12 hours for that, be playing on some character (on that server or another?) every 12 hours, something else?

I notice they don't always immediately show up when I login, even if it has been more than 12 hours and I seem to have gotten them more frequently, but I am not clear exactly how this works in practice.

Any details are appreciated.

I am on the PS4 if that matters. I have characters on both the NA and EU servers.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, @FlopsyPrince, you're on the right track ...

The 12-hour timer for that character starts again when mail triggers into your inbox.

If you wanted to claim maximum hireling rewards, you'd log in to each character every 12 hours.

Most players, however, (including this player) can't manage that kind of schedule ... and log in once a day to claim rewards.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, @FlopsyPrince, you're on the right track ...

The 12-hour timer for that character starts again when mail triggers into your inbox.

If you wanted to claim maximum hireling rewards, you'd log in to each character every 12 hours.

Most players, however, (including this player) can't manage that kind of schedule ... and log in once a day to claim rewards.

I use the 12 hour timer to collect mine once a day. That way, if I log in after only 22 hours, I still have a mail from my hirelings, since most people log in at similar times.

The only days I sometimes get 2 rewards might be on a weekend, where I log in in the morning, and then again in the evening.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 12/24 Hour Timer has been the bane of this game since beta. It really should be 10/20...

Anyway, most of us get the third tier of the hirelings so that we always have a mailing when we log in, not so we get a shipment twice a day.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The 12/24 Hour Timer has been the bane of this game since beta. It really should be 10/20...

Anyway, most of us get the third tier of the hirelings so that we always have a mailing when we log in, not so we get a shipment twice a day.

What is the difference with that level? I thought it just improved the quality not the timing. Though I haven't read it as closely recently, so I may have missed something.

I still don't understand why I sometimes get mail right when I login and other times not until I come back or have been on that character a while.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

What is the difference with that level? I thought it just improved the quality not the timing. Though I haven't read it as closely recently, so I may have missed something.

I still don't understand why I sometimes get mail right when I login and other times not until I come back or have been on that character a while.

going from level 0 to 1 gives you stuff at all. going from level 1 to 2 improves the drops. going from level 2 to 3 reduces the timer from 24h to 12h. AFAIK, there is not better "drops" from level 3 versus 2, only the shorter timer.

As far as the mails:
    Either,

You haven't hit the 24 hour timer yet. Say you logged on yesterday at 10:36 AM and claimed your hireling mail. The next mail would be queued up to arrive at 10:36 AM today. If you log on at 10:33 AM, you won't get it yet. If you don't log on until 2:15 PM the next day, you will have gotten the mail at 2:15 PM and your 24 hour timer will start upon receipt, then you will have to log on after 2:15 PM the next day to claim that reward. (This is why most crafters use the rank 3 passive, so it's a 12h timer, guaranteeing at least 1 a day)

or... ZoS' mail is slow and it just didn't "show". Happens occasionally, I'll log only get 4 of 5, and 2 or 3 minutes later the other will arrive, or when I log to the next character to do writs, I'll "get" 6 mails, when it arrives.
    Edited by tmbrinks on May 1, 2019 2:39PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    going from level 0 to 1 gives you stuff at all. going from level 1 to 2 improves the drops. going from level 2 to 3 reduces the timer from 24h to 12h. AFAIK, there is not better "drops" from level 3 versus 2, only the shorter timer.

That makes many things make more sense. Thanks for the clarification. All my hirelings are not 3rd level yet.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you DO want to ever run 12hr timers, you can sync different character's hirelings to the same rough time by skipping their timers completely for one cycle and logging all of them again at the same time (login/loading screens depending).

When I had the grit to do 12hrs I could roughly keep the timers synced across 8 char within every 5 minutes of the day.

But it still takes more dedication than I've had over this last year. If ZOS wants to change it for us I will happily play more...wink wink.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I barely get on for riding stuff. I am not going to overdo it for hirelings, at least not intentionally.
    PC
    PS4/PS5