Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

2h sword on magicka build (frost mage)?

mjharper
mjharper
✭✭✭✭
So I was messing around with gear on my Nord frost warden, and swapping out an ice staff for a 2h sword led to a surprising damage increase, at least on the tool tips. With just one Animal Companion skill slotted, Ice Comet went from 16959 damage with a frost staff, to 18023 damage with a 2h sword.

I'm assuming that this has something to do with ice staffs not offering a damage increase (unlike inferno and lightning staffs), and the raw damage of 2h weapons combined with the Heavy Weapons passive (which seems to increase damage done (not just weapon damage?) by 6%. That being said, I think the damage was about the same difference before I took the passive...)

Am I missing something here? Or are ice staffs really so poor that your skills do more damage with a 2h sword?

And what might be the disadvantages? I know it isn't going to do as much damage with light/heavy attacks, because 2h weapons scale off stamina, but I think I can deal with that by having a destruction or restoration staff equipped on the back bar. And heavy attacks will return stamina, which, again, same solution.

I've heard some sorcs use 2h weapons to have access to Critical Charge, which I agree absolutely rocks and pairs very nicely with Iceheart...

Thoughts welcome :)
Edited by mjharper on April 30, 2019 8:39PM
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h swords have a higher base stat than any staff. (2hander: 1571, staff: 1335)
    And then an additional passive that gives 6% more damage compared to ice staffs.

Your 2hsword tooltip will always be higher than any tooltip on any staff, even on fire staff (which gives 8% more damage, so 2% more than 2hsword
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ultimates scale to which ever is the highest of your weapon- and spelldamage.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag2H & MagDW were a big thing because of the extra damage, but with the nerfs over the years they made it less and less viable. With LA weave damage, extra range enchant etc etc it became harder and harder to justify it.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frost dmg also has the potential to apply minor maim, which can be useful in a group and can be paired with corrupted pollen to apply major maim