The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Giving Ice Staff a Chance

Metafae
Metafae
✭✭✭✭✭
I have complained about the Ice Staff in the past many times, but never really gave it a solid go.
I want to discuss build ideas with the community to help me plan this Ice Staff tank.

Firstly, I'm not going to use the Warden or Dragonknight Class for this build. This is because I already have a tank in each class and would like to try on something else.
I also am not fond of using a Nightblade for this build due to having done that in the past too. I have also made a Sorcerer Tank before, but I enjoyed it, and I may want to do this with a Sorcerer.
However, I have never made a Templar tank before, so I am leaning towards building this as a Templar, but can be swayed to build as a Sorcerer.

I will be using an Ice Staff on both bars, and I would prefer to be in 7 heavy.

I've been slowly thinking about the skills that would need to be used to be the most effective, and I know I will need to use the Swarm Mother helm set. Chains and Portals too good for tanks, each class should really have an equivalent for this, until they do this any class without an active skill to pull in enemies will always be seen as undesirable for a tank. <- Take note Class Reps

Anyway. Please comment below if you have given Ice Staff tanking a solid try.
Also, please help me come up with skills to use and sets to use to make a Templar or Sorcerer Ice Staff tank viable.
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »
    I have complained about the Ice Staff in the past many times, but never really gave it a solid go.
    I want to discuss build ideas with the community to help me plan this Ice Staff tank.

Firstly, I'm not going to use the Warden or Dragonknight Class for this build. This is because I already have a tank in each class and would like to try on something else.
    I also am not fond of using a Nightblade for this build due to having done that in the past too. I have also made a Sorcerer Tank before, but I enjoyed it, and I may want to do this with a Sorcerer.
    However, I have never made a Templar tank before, so I am leaning towards building this as a Templar, but can be swayed to build as a Sorcerer.

I've been slowly thinking about the skills that would need to be used to be the most effective, and I know I will need to use the Swarm Mother helm set. Chains and Portals too good for tanks, each class should really have an equivalent for this, until they do this any class without an active skill to pull in enemies will always be seen as undesirable for a tank. <- Take note Class Reps

Also, please help me come up with skills to use and sets to use to make a Templar or Sorcerer Ice Staff tank viable.

I run an ice staff on the back bar of my Templar when tanking and have found it works quite well.

In terms of some useful skills/sets:
    • If you are keen to have a chain ability you can use Silver Leash from the Fighters' Guild line (as a bonus, this costs stamina, which you won't be using much elsewhere if using ice staff on both bars, and can be recharged with Repentance)
    • Per the above, Repentance is very handy as a fairly frequent free heal on trash and to recharge stamina for chaining things in with leash
    • An instant ranged taunt from the Undaunted line (morph choice will largely depend on which resource you have spare) will help when you don't want to charge up a heavy attack
    • Channeled Focus will give great resistances and help keep Magicka ticking, even when blocking
    • Ritual (benefits to either morph) will give healing, a self purge and has a very large radius
    • For content where you don't need to have block held down, Puncturing Sweeps, generates lots of AoE aggro between the damage and the healing and is a nice survivability tool (it is a channel so you will lose block when using it)
    • In addition to the usual meta tanking sets, Knightmare is very handy as an alternative to Thurvokun monster set for giving AoE Minor Maim

Hope that helps. Have fun!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tank is a Magden Nord, using Sword n Shield front bar with a back bar Ice Staff.

I switch between the two in a skill rotation, or focus on one or the other depending on the boss/adds/situation.

Clearly as a Warden I have access to some good tanking skills/passives that other builds wont if you are avoiding Warden and DK. You have already identified the benefit Swarm mother can provide. Beyond that there is a huge range of armour sets available.

Personally I still run Ebon, and I often pair this with Brands of the Imperium, because its fun. My monster set does not need Swarm mother as I use the warden gates, so I use Earthgore or Lord Warden, as both support my team.

There are such a good range of skills available, but I do love the undaunted damage shield that scales off my tank health. Keeping this up (and with a psijic damage shield from blocking), along with gaining health back from light/heavy attacks with my warden skills, its a joy.

Id love to make a build that could use Iceheart, perhaps for an off tank... but my Warden crit is not good enough.

Anyway, I love using the Ice Staff, it feels right and works with my rotation and flexible approach and putting down another wall of elements is always a help.

Sorry for rambling!
    Edited by Grianasteri on April 30, 2019 9:04AM
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »

Most main tanks backbar staves rn either lightning or frost because they give full enchant value. I'm assuming what you mean is using magicka for blocking primarily and using stamina skill for utility?

Silver leash pulls all enemies now aka stamina Chains and pairs well with Silver Leash (morph of Silver Bolt in fighter's guild.)
    Undaunted bone shield could be interesting, still using blazing shield.
    Blockade of Frost could help root/CC mobs which is a huge Templar tank weakness, but more importantly procs Crusher enchants at full value.
    Caltrops/Time Freeze/Volcanic Rune also work to CC mobs but would also be janky.
    There isn't a health scaling heal so you'd likely be stuck with Honor the Dead. Just hope a dps doesn't steal it.
    PoTL is an option if no healer's or dps are templars.
    Extended Ritual is same.
    Channeled Focus would help get your blocking RSS back.
    Balance would mean permablocking at the cost of some nasty shield and healing cuts.
    Ring of Preservation would help DPS survive.
    Inner Beast would use stamina so you can block more when taunting.

But overall neither templar nor dual ice staff tanking is going to be easy as both have key parts missing.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used ice staff on a nightblade tank in normal dungeons, as my back bar for main one hand and shield.

1. The CC was great.
    2. I used Inner Fire as a backup ranged taunt for the Ice Staff because I didnt fully have the timing down and I hate losing aggro. Inner Fire is much faster, and I used it whenever I have more than one boss or miniboss to taunt.

Now, I personally didn't enjoy Swarm Mother when I used it. That might just he me, but the gameplay of "taunt mobs, hold block, proc the pull, rinse repeat" was really boring for me. For myself, I'd use stamina Silver Leash over Swarm Mother. I also used Inner Fire as my taunt with Swarm Mother because its fast - I don't know how well ice staff heavy attack would work for getting swarm mother to proc on a bunch of ranged adds.

If I were to make suggestions for improvement...
    Ice Staff needs Major Fracture and Breach to be on par with One Hand and Shield.
    The heavy attack taunt needs to be faster so I don't feel obligated to slot Inner Fire as a backup.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all great info! I forgot that they changed the silver leash to now pull in one shot and not two.
    I understand that templar does miss key features, but this is just to challenge myself.
    I have two tanks that are very good, so I just want to try one for funzies.

I'll get to building this and report my progress in days to come.

I don't have too much time to play during the week, but I'm sure I'll have something to share here by the weekend.
  • Chims
    Chims
    ✭✭✭
    I had a warden tank that used dual ice staffs. Warden works well as a ice tank due to all the other ice skills. I have since changed him to be DPS but its worth noting I was able to get through vet Ruins of Mazzatun tanking with an ice staff only.

I have never tried tanking trials or anything with it however so I can't comment on its viability in those. If thats not important to you I would say tanking vRoM means you can use it everywhere but trials successfully.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, Undaunted Silver Leash is the chains accessible for every class. There is no need for every class to have specific skills like another class as that is just homogenization which is bad for any MMORPG.

Second, have fun with the frost staff tanking. it can be fun with 4 man dungeons. However, if you do tank more serious content do not expect a frost staff tank to be accepted into vet trials, especially non-Craglorn ones. It lacks in many ways since Zos half hazardly retrofitted the staff for tanking. But that does not mean you cannot have fun in other content.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A necromancer ice staff tank might be thematically interesting, since the glacial colossus ult applies major vulnerability and the unnerving boneyard skill applies major fracture/breach.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve been thinking about building a tank like this also.

Biggest difference is I think Light Armor might be the way to go. Heavy armor is not really needed to get the resistances you need, and light armor gives a whole lot more utility and value for tanking imo.

The stats you get from the Sanctuary set look perfect for tank. And maybe Desert Rose as second set.

Probably go Nord and use a 5 1 1 setup. That would probably actually work very well on a templar. Because standing in the focus gives you a massive resistance buff.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking about building a tank like this also.

Biggest difference is I think Light Armor might be the way to go. Heavy armor is not really needed to get the resistances you need, and light armor gives a whole lot more utility and value for tanking imo.

The stats you get from the Sanctuary set look perfect for tank. And maybe Desert Rose as second set.

Probably go Nord and use a 5 1 1 setup. That would probably actually work very well on a templar. Because standing in the focus gives you a massive resistance buff.

I prefer going 7 heavy mostly because I like the extra health it provides. A lot of my tanking practices rely on having high max health so that I can do things like heavy attack a boss repeatedly and not worry about getting one shot.