The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Crafting starting quests

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It would be wonderful if these got changed to be like other quests that update in progress. The trips back and forth, especially to the lady in front of the Fighter's guild in Alinor/Summerset is really a waste of time, especially with a slow horse.

I am not going to hold my breath since it is a one-time thing, but it would be much better to do all the actions and then return, if needed.

Also let me take on all 3 of them at once, not just one at a time as it is now.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be wonderful if these got changed to be like other quests that update in progress. The trips back and forth, especially to the lady in front of the Fighter's guild in Alinor/Summerset is really a waste of time, especially with a slow horse.

I am not going to hold my breath since it is a one-time thing, but it would be much better to do all the actions and then return, if needed.

If you decon gear to get the crafting line up to level 10 (I think that's the cutoff, maybe 15), you can skip past the "collect, refine, create, decon" part of the certification quests.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

If you decon gear to get the crafting line up to level 10 (I think that's the cutoff, maybe 15), you can skip past the "collect, refine, create, decon" part of the certification quests.

I don't have that much gear now without taking from things I can research. Though I don't want to skip the XP, just the needless running so far around. Some running is expected of course, but make it add value, not just run between 2 points.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe I'm confused because I haven't done certification in Summerset, but what running around? You only run around for the raw material gathering, and that can be bypassed by just having raw (maple, jute, iron) on hand. For refining, construction and deconstruction she's right there at the table and you just turn around. The same is true for consumable certification.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm confused because I haven't done certification in Summerset, but what running around? You only run around for the raw material gathering, and that can be bypassed by just having raw (maple, jute, iron) on hand. For refining, construction and deconstruction she's right there at the table and you just turn around. The same is true for consumable certification.

The lady who gives the quest is a fair bit away and it involves a lot of travel too and from here, instead of the ones almost just outside the door of the crafters.

I am probably spoiled by the easy of access to crafting in Alinor, but it is all I know since I started playing just after Thanksgiving last year.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since you didn't answer the question, let me outline the process more explicitly (and yes, this is meant to suggest ways for you to work around the issues). I've done this in all of the base game first zones: Davon's Watch, Daggerfall, Vulkhel Guard. You go to the fighter's guild, find Millineth, start talking, pick a craft. You go into gathering raw materials, which will send you to a place with instanced nodes for the craft in question (to me, this counts as running around). This step can be bypassed by having the raw materials on hand (I usually do in my craft bag). You then go to the crafting station, and talk to Millineth there, then refine. This can also be bypassed by having the refined materials also on hand. You then need to create and deconstruct, but all of that is done at the crafting station or just a few feet away, no riding is needed. At the end if you haven't done all three, you can get another certification started without going anywhere.
    So I ask again, what running around are you talking about? The initial trip to Alinor fighter's guild? Gathering? or does she not show up at the craft stations in Alinor? If it's the second, have your mats already on hand. If it's the third, then do your certifications elsewhere.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the certification quests in Vivec City, which is a nice place to craft because all of the crafting stations are close together, and the two crafting masters are right there (once you start the quests; at first they're in the Saint Delyn Canton).
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I ask again, what running around are you talking about? The initial trip to Alinor fighter's guild? Gathering? or does she not show up at the craft stations in Alinor? If it's the second, have your mats already on hand. If it's the third, then do your certifications elsewhere.

I thought I noted it was running back and forth between the lady in front of the Fighter's Guild in Alinor. You have to go there and back many times for all 3 lines she trains. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, just annoying and that would be removed if the quest would auto advance when I hit each step instead of having to run back to her.

Combining this with going back to a really slow horse, even sped up, since it is a new character, is what makes it even more annoying.

Though I will note again, it is not the worst issue, just an annoying one when making another alt, since I craft on everyone.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then either you're doing something wrong or it doesn't work well in Alinor. When I finish talking to her to turn in one certification, I immediately have the dialog options to start the next one, while still in the area of the craft table I was just using. Are you doing the different crafts not all in a row, or does Millineth not give you the option to start the next craft when turning one in?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would have really hated it when Writs first came out. You had to chase the quest givers down, if they were not either at the station or the original location. It could change from time to time.

All in all, its 7 quick quests, all done within the city or in view of the city walls that unlocks a free stream of mats, recipes, tempers, gear for decon or sale and lots of gold each time.

For everything you get with crafting writs, spend the 15 minutes it takes to do the quests.

If you hate running around, just wait until you help that poor slave in Vvardenfell, or the Fighters Guild, or the Mages Guild, or the Main Quest, Zone Quests, most of the Story Quests in the game or the Dailies for each Guild. Talk about running around....
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If you hate running around, just wait until you help that poor slave in Vvardenfell, or the Fighters Guild, or the Mages Guild, or the Main Quest, Zone Quests, most of the Story Quests in the game or the Dailies for each Guild. Talk about running around....

I run around plenty for quests, but many of those chain rather than requiring a long run back for each step. Some still do require that of course, but not requiring wasted travel is better. Plenty to keep me busy without that needless time wasting.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get to level 10 in the skill and you can skip straight to the certification/quest turn in.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get to 10 for your crafting levels, it takes practically nothing. then you get all the xp for the quest and can skip the run around.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    Then either you're doing something wrong or it doesn't work well in Alinor. When I finish talking to her to turn in one certification, I immediately have the dialog options to start the next one, while still in the area of the craft table I was just using. Are you doing the different crafts not all in a row, or does Millineth not give you the option to start the next craft when turning one in?

I'm sorry Kringled, but based on your responses, you appear to not be reading and comprehending what the original poster is saying. It doesn't work well in Allinor due to the distance of the NPC from the crafting area is what they are trying to convey.

As a new player to ESO that purchased the Elsweyr pre-purchase package, my default area is Summerset/Alinor, and I know exactly what FlopsyPrince is talking about. Millineth is NOT in the crafting area, but a short horse ride away. This is the point that FlopsyPrince is trying to make. I'm not familiar with the other crafting area's as I have not ventured that far in the 3 weeks that I have been playing the game so far.

I am also in the process of making crafting writ alts. I already have the mats gathered and the finished product ready, so I don't have to do 4 steps, I only need to do 2 steps. 1.) you have to go make a product, and then 2.) decon the product.

It's an annoyance that they put the one NPC on the other side of town when compared to the other 2 certification NPC's that are right outside the door of the crafting area.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry Kringled, but based on your responses, you appear to not be reading and comprehending what the original poster is saying. It doesn't work well in Allinor due to the distance of the NPC from the crafting area is what they are trying to convey.

As a new player to ESO that purchased the Elsweyr pre-purchase package, my default area is Summerset/Alinor, and I know exactly what FlopsyPrince is talking about. Millineth is NOT in the crafting area, but a short horse ride away. This is the point that FlopsyPrince is trying to make. I'm not familiar with the other crafting area's as I have not .

Use one of the other Starter Cities for the base 6 certifications. Still have to go to Alinor for Jewelry.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    Use one of the other Starter Cities for the base 6 certifications. Still have to go to Alinor for Jewelry.

and those would be??? Sorry but this new player has no clue what the other starter cities are as I didn't play the game when they were the starter cities. Finding a different starter city sounds like more effort than the running around Alinor
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm sorry Kringled, but based on your responses, you appear to not be reading and comprehending what the original poster is saying. It doesn't work well in Allinor

As a new player to ESO that purchased the Elsweyr pre-purchase package, my default area is Summerset/Alinor, and I know exactly what FlopsyPrince is talking about. Millineth is NOT in the crafting area, but a short horse ride away.

Thank you for clarifying. While I read all of FlopsyPrinces posts in this thread,
    It wasn't clear to me that he meant all those in between steps, as I've never done certification other than jewelry in Alinor. If Danel Telleno is, like the jewelry certifier, just outside the craft area, then it looks like the distance with Millineth is unintended. The easy workaround is still to certify in another area.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

and those would be??? Sorry but this new player has no clue what the other starter cities are as I didn't play the game when they were the starter cities. Finding a different starter city sounds like more effort than the running around Alinor

Those would be Davon's Watch in Stonefalls (Ebonheart Pact), Vulkhel Guard in Auridon (Aldmeri Dominion), and Daggerfall in Glenumbra (Daggerfall Covenant). You can also do them in Vivec City in Vvardenfell.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on May 2, 2019 8:25PM
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those are also the cities where you would start what is called the main quest. You should have a wayshrine already discovered for them.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry Kringled, but based on your responses, you appear to not be reading and comprehending what the original poster is saying. It doesn't work well in Allinor

As a new player to ESO that purchased the Elsweyr pre-purchase package, my default area is Summerset/Alinor, and I know exactly what FlopsyPrince is talking about. Millineth is NOT in the crafting area, but a short horse ride away.

Thank you for clarifying. While I read all of FlopsyPrinces posts in this thread,
    It wasn't clear to me that he meant all those in between steps, as I've never done certification other than jewelry in Alinor. If Danel Telleno is, like the jewelry certifier, just outside the craft area, then it looks like the distance with Millineth is unintended. The easy workaround is still to certify in another area.

This is the exact problem I was talking about. The run is not horrid, but it is even more annoying since it is on a slow mount.

Those who say to skip it ignore the fact that I like the XP and skill boost you get for the quests. It is just the run that is a pain, especially compared to the other 2 crafting quest starters there.

It would even be better if I could pick up all 3 lines at the same time. At least that would drop it to 2 trips, instead of having to do them sequentially for no really valid reason.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ya... All the more reason that new players shouldn't start in the newest area. Bad decision on zos's part.

The quest givers will follow you to each crafting locations in the faction starter zones. I have no idea why this didn't translate to Alinor.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    u don't miss xp if you already are at 10 level for your craft. she just says, do this, you say, im experienced, cert me. and she does. no run, no fuss, no muss. Same quest.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While Danel and Milleneth (craft certifiers) do appear at the appropriate crafting station while you're getting certified in most zones, in Summerset they do not. Danel stands across the bridge from the crafting area and Milleneth stands way out by the wayshrine. When you complete a step in crafting certification, in Summerset you then have to run out to the NPC (Danel or Milleneth) to turn in the step and get the next task. They are not standing behind you at the crafting area like in other zones. It's a pain in the a$$ to have to run back and forth, especially with Milleneth. I agree with the OP.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    u don't miss xp if you already are at 10 level for your craft. she just says, do this, you say, im experienced, cert me. and she does. no run, no fuss, no muss. Same quest.

Good to know, but it did help me level from 6/7 to 9/10 or so. Nice exp, just annoying run. Putting her outside the crafting area would be good too, though just making things chain and not require a run back to decon would be a good idea overall.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    it always took me just longer to remember, then to actually do it. Though I never did it in alinor, except the jewellery ofcourse and he's not that far away, just outside the crafting area.
    Though I always liked to skip anyway.
    PC-EU @lientier
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    and I only found it annoying on alts, not as a new player, when everything was still new and exciting.. it took me quite long to just understand how I was supposed to collect the mats and then I crafted the wrong thing.. and I still enjoyed it
    PC-EU @lientier
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lientier wrote: »
    and I only found it annoying on alts, not as a new player, when everything was still new and exciting.. it took me quite long to just understand how I was supposed to collect the mats and then I crafted the wrong thing.. and I still enjoyed it

The distance isn't as bad at first, but becomes annoying when you are used to +60% riding speed and are back down to <5% on a new character!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or you know, your could go to your starter city to do the certification quests there instead, where Milleneth basically appears next to crafting area's after you accept the quests.

The only thing you should be certifying in Alinor is Jewelry crafting.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Or you know, your could go to your starter city to do the certification quests there instead, where Milleneth basically appears next to crafting area's after you accept the quests.

The only thing you should be certifying in Alinor is Jewelry crafting.

Alinor was my "starter city" in many ways. I started with Summerset and didn't even realize that other starter cities existed for a long time. Though two of the starting crafters are in a good spot. It is only one that is a ways away.

Not horrible, as I noted, just annoying. Moving her to closer to the crafting area would help, though I would still rather see these quests chained the way some other ones are.
    PC
    PS4/PS5