The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crafter sets vs Found Sets

Cladius30
Cladius30
✭✭✭✭✭
Are crafted sets as powerful as found sets?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the 2,3,4 set bonuses are the same and there are no crafted 5 piece sets that are better then dropped sets, for any role, healer tank or dps. i have 10 toons and not one of them wears a crafted set.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 2,3,4 set bonuses are the same and there are no crafted 5 piece sets that are better then dropped sets, for any role, healer tank or dps. i have 10 toons and not one of them wears a crafted set.

man that makes spending so much time and effort researching bad...
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cladius30 wrote: »

Still very useful for transmuting, but you only need the one trait researched for this.

Crafted sets aren’t bad either, like Julianos for example is within 1% of the damage of one of the sets currently considered best, Mother’s Sorrow.

Crafted sets also allow you to mix armor weights more easily. So you can make a heavy chest piece for example, and benefit from higher resistances while utilizing Undaunted passives for higher resources.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crafted sets let you get the better sets, and are available very early on.

Progression is roughly Overland<Crafted<Dungeon<Trial, with crafted having the extra benefit of being available in the exact weight/trait etc. you need right now, so they get used even when you can get something else, but haven't found the right piece yet.

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As powerful for what? How do you play the game? If you don't care about fixating on competitive gaming and being a sheep to flavors of the month, crafted sets are fine. Several of them are a lot of fun.

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

As powerful for what? How do you play the game? If you don't care about fixating on competitive gaming and being a sheep to flavors of the month, crafted sets are fine. Several of them are a lot of fun.

There is no need for the "sheep" comments when it comes to gear. There are clear sets that are statistically better than others. Yet, unless you are doing end-game score pushing (a very, very, very, very small group of people), many crafted sets will allow you to do all content in the game.

But please, I've seen other comments you've made, stop trying to drive that wedge even further by taking cheap shots like this, especially in the "crafting" sub-forum.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you PvP, some sets being available in light, medium or heavy gives you some more creative room with builds. Same with making crafted jewelry, although that's very expensive to do if you want them gold. For example, you could make a heavy Seducer set to be a tanky healer. Lots of people wearing light Armor Master as sorcs is another example.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafted gear is nice when trying new dropped sets as it allows you to fill in the gaps on what drops while you wait for your preferred set up. I.E. - When Necropotence became all the rage, I paired it with Julianos' on my mag sorc. I was able to acquire the jewelry pieces of Necro really quickly, but for people searching and searching for a sharpened (yeah, that was BiS for a while!) inferno/lightning staff combo they may have grinded (ground?) for months or spent hundreds of thousands in gold to get them.

In my case, I just equipped the first two divines body pieces I found and crafted my staves + remaining body slots. Once I got the staves I banked my Julianos' staves and replaced a body piece.

Crafting is, if nothing else, a huge leap in convenience. And, if you don't want to spend a ton of money at the outfit station, you can craft your own gear in the style you desire (assuming you have the proper motif(s)) and dyeing is then free.

Then of course there are the daily crafting writs, master writs, etc that are fringe benefits of crafting.

Grammar
    Edited by Feric51 on May 1, 2019 6:21PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be that having style required using crafted sets too. That isn't a thing anymore, for better and for worse, but I know I always used one crafted gear set back in the day for aesthetic reasons. I suppose you could still do that to have essentially two outfit slots on your character, but it requires making more sacrifices than most players are willing to make.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because one guy doesn't run any crafted sets your whole game experience is invalidated?
    confused24.gif

PS: My Pet Sorc still runs Julianos. Oh the horror of being 0.1% off BiS meta on a stationary dummy that doesn't fight back.
    I know, i know, how can i possibly live with myself using that trash set ...

Edited by SirAndy on May 3, 2019 4:12PM
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos, Hunding's Rage, Torug's Pact and Kagrenac's Hope are all crafted sets which are still used in endgame content. Oh, and Sload's Semblance and Shacklebreaker of course, two very commonly used crafted sets in PvP.

In terms of power it's difficult to say, but it's only a handful sets dominating the meta, so you can't really speak of a pattern.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think being able to craft 2 or 3 build sets would add alot of fun.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think being able to craft 2 or 3 build sets would add alot of fun.

you can, juliano's/hundings are great for mag/stam and torug's pact is great for tanks.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arent those 5 peice sets?
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Technically speaking, dropped sets will provide you with the most damage/utility compared to crafted sets (Olorime, Relequin, Vicious Ophidian, Ebon, Alkosh, Master Architect, Ravager, Seventh Legion, etc).

However, that is not to say that crafted sets are "bad". Julianos and Hundings are absolutely great in both PvE and PvP. There are not very many sets in the game which are good for both. Torug's Pact is used in endgame trials by tanks (but healers will probably be the ones to wear it next update). Kagrenac's Hope is another great set for PvE and PvP (can even be worn by a DPS or healer).

So while they are technically not as "powerful" as dropped sets, crafted sets are still very useful and you would be just fine running only crafted sets (especially in PvP where Julianos/Hundings + Shacklebreaker is more than adequate).