The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Help with a MagPlar IC Build please?

RaresDorian
RaresDorian
Soul Shriven
I like the theme of IC a lot and I've been trying to bring my pvp magplar into it recently. I got myself the imperial physique set and tried to tweak my build with it. However, that didn't work out as planned. I constantly get run over by other imperial physique users.

Whenever I duel somebody he either 100%-0% me in 10 sec or the fight carries on for some 5 mins until I run out of resources and die.

Currently I use Bloodspawn, Imperial Physique, Transmutation with Master Lightning.

Is somebody kind enough here to help me with some gear tips and maybe some useful skills I could use to be tankier?
Thanks in advance!
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love giving advices XD.
    This is what I run in cyrodiil and it's awesome in imperial city with imo physique.

-x5 light bright throat
    - this sets is my answer to sustain, the perfect amount for me is 1600 unbuffed, although in duels 1v1 you can get away with 1200. Outnumbered you might want more built in sustain just because you aren't going to be able to get many heavy attacks off when CC spammed by five toons.

-x2 pirate skelly heavy helmet, medium shoulder
    - this set is my primary defense. It's absolutely stupid with how much mitigation you get from it. Perfect for outnumbered, no other 5 piece or monster compares in my experience.

-x5 pariah rings ammy, lightning staff, SnB
    - this set is the strongest 5 piece raw mitigation defensive set in game. But...against high bleed damage builds and unfortunately extreme burst builds it shows its weakness.

The gearing is not designed for 1v1. You can 1v1 with it. But you'll find yourself stale mating quite often. Which isn't bad! Especially as a new player, you need the extra breathing room to figure out proper resource management. It also gives a fair bit of room for making mistakes. The build really is perfect for soloing 2-3 players. Any more than that and you just play the tank game, trying to just survive, at 2-3 you can find the weak links kill them and move on to the next.

All gear impen, staff should be sharpened, shock enchant for minor vulnerability chance on light attacks. For mundus, I find that ritual is best...I know it sounds weird I'm not opting for more damage since I'm lacking so much already in damage, but pirate skeleton will pressure ur max heals big time and you get much better honor the dead heals with it. Basically negates pirate skeleton debuff, you can also run apprentice or the lover (my second preferance)

For skills.
    -sweeps- best damage skill, it's the reason we play magplar...

-toppling charge- gap closer when you need a hard CC, weak damage. Damage is also getting nerfed next patch. Another option here is explosive charge, it's getting buffed next patch and will deal 31% more damage than toppling (23% base over toppling plus 8% from light staff since explosive is AOE) plus with exploiter CP passive will give all ur attacks after the charge 10% bonus for 5 seconds. Skill is needed to get you into range for sweeping and crescent sweep.

-vamps bane- no explanation needed

-total dark- ur main skill to get you off ur defense bar and into deal damage, also deals awesome damage, and it's getting nerfed by 25%...and will still be awesome damage wise.

-ele drain- awesome debuff and magic sustain.

-cresent sweep- super hard hitting, cheapest ulti in game cept overload.

For defense bar it's kinda self explainatory.

Lastly man, you drop bright throat for imperial physique when in IC.

So sorry it's such a long post...GL have fun!
  • RaresDorian
    RaresDorian
    Soul Shriven
    This is probably the heartful response I didn't expect to get! Thanks a lot man.

I do however, have some other questions. What kind of CP do you use?
    Thanks a lot! I will get to building this ASAP
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, your child is really good. Work on your set ups. You should have like 30k hp and 4.5k crit resistance in that set up. Nothing should be killing you in 10 seconds.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on April 27, 2019 4:54PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reapply purifying light before it expires if you're not ready to combo for the kill too. It keeps its stored dmg from the previous cast if you don't let it explode, so it's easy to get to cap.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on April 27, 2019 4:54PM
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do not suggest running purifying light. sometimes it's better just to keep ur sefl in a position to keep on sweepsing instead of purifying light. you already have three skills you need to try and keep up on ur enemy, vamps bane, entropy, ele drain. purifying light adds to this combination of skills and mean you'll not have much time to damage a target, it also encourages you to stick to one target and "overcommit" to a target just you can get that phat "pop" from light...which never is very big anyway...also. I'm 90% sure they fixed the "stored from previous cast" with purifying light. I can only get mine to pop for 5k in most fights...if that, which is crap when one cast of sweeps will get me more than that by about 25%

my CP, eh...you really should run through your own tests to figure out the best CP setup for you. I block a lot, dodge a lot and sprint a lot, so I have more CP into those in green trees, I also don't heavy attack often so I don't have any points into heavy attack resource return. blue tree is Very balanced, all CP are brought to be on par power per point wise. my red tree is the same, very balanced.

I run 25.5k max health, and 3k crit resist. after gear you really want to squeeze everything you can out of damage.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    i do not suggest running purifying light. sometimes it's better just to keep ur sefl in a position to keep on sweepsing instead of purifying light. you already have three skills you need to try and keep up on ur enemy, vamps bane, entropy, ele drain. purifying light adds to this combination of skills and mean you'll not have much time to damage a target, it also encourages you to stick to one target and "overcommit" to a target just you can get that phat "pop" from light...which never is very big anyway...also. I'm 90% sure they fixed the "stored from previous cast" with purifying light. I can only get mine to pop for 5k in most fights...if that, which is crap when one cast of sweeps will get me more than that by about 25%

my CP, eh...you really should run through your own tests to figure out the best CP setup for you. I block a lot, dodge a lot and sprint a lot, so I have more CP into those in green trees, I also don't heavy attack often so I don't have any points into heavy attack resource return. blue tree is Very balanced, all CP are brought to be on par power per point wise. my red tree is the same, very balanced.

I run 25.5k max health, and 3k crit resist. after gear you really want to squeeze everything you can out of damage.

They did not "fix" that from my experience. I consistently get 7 to 8 k just when i let it go. With out purifying there's no hope in burst play and you're fighting potatoes who can't heal themselves.

If you can't manage a 20 second, a 21 second, and a 13 second buff playing templar is going to be tough, absolutely.

Sweeps and bane alone isn't enough against skilled opponents. That's like saying a magblade is fine without assassins will and only using cripple and swallow soul.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EtTuBrutus

read my first post, theres multiple damaging skills I use. other than sweeps and vamps bane I use eclipse and crescent for a pretty heft burst combo, and also toppling charge/ crescent sweep. I also said in my first post that many fights 1v1 come to a standstill. it's actually pretty rare open world though.

i don't like purifying light, most magplar i know dropped it years ago.

to OP. try out all different kinds of things. what works for me might not work for you.

GL though if you have any other questions let me know.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My approach to templar is light armor with Pirate Skeleton and Protective jewelry. I find Pirate Skeleton hard to say no to, on magplar. Get the disguise from the Bergama Alik'r quest to prevent glitches.

I use a vMA resto on the backbar for sustain and my sets, outside of IC, are Amber Plasm + Overwhelming Surge. The latter, because it helps to detect nightblades. The former could be replaced by Shacklebreaker or Imperial Physique. Light armor is pretty essential, otherwise your damage really plummets on templar.

I build as much healing as I can into the build. If you end up block-casting Honor the Dead, that's what runs down both your resources. You want to avoid that. I use Mutagen, Degeneration, a Restore Health enchant on the destro, Sweeps, Total Dark, Radiant Glory, the Steed mundus, Clockwork Citrus Fillet, Light's Champion and Honor the Dead. This build keeps use of that last skill to a minimum. Sustain comes from the rune, vMA resto and Elemental Drain.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=95564

When playing in IC, you might draw a limited number of NPCs into the fight. Attacking them with Sweeps gives you PvE-strength heals.

There are other ways to build. You'll note the absence of Extended Ritual in my build, as I aim to just outheal damage, like other classes do. A more conventional approach involves blocking with either 1H+S or ice staff on the backbar, using Ritual and, above all, Mist Form. The build that always sticks in my mind is this one, because it is so nifty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3nnhoh1kw&t=2s

If you just want to save your Tel Var, you might keep some Invisibility potions handy, which you should probably use after falling through the floor in one of the houses. It's a maneuver that's, perhaps, better executed by streaking sorcs, though.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running

Gear: (All Impen)
    5 Bright-Throat
    5 Shackle
    2 Valkyn
    Weapon: Shackle Lightning (Infused)
    Back bar weapon is up to you, I use 2H sword but don't recommend it - Snb would be better.
    Composition: 6-1 (Light, missing a med piece, would be 5-1-1 if I had it)

Food: Spring-Loaded Infusion
    Mundus: Atro

Gear enchants:
    2x Prismatic
    5x Max magicka

Ring enchants:
    2x Spell Damage
    1x Mag Recovery

Weapon Enchants:
    Weapon/Spell damage front bar (100% uptime on 458SD)
    Back bar I run magicka poisons (10s mag recovery)

Vampire: NO

I kill in < 10 seconds easily, but once I've got 5 or so on me and I can't kite them properly, I'm in trouble - The pirate skeleton suggestion may help you there.

Honestly though, the biggest skill in IC is learning places to kite when you're outnumbered - There's so many doorways, cages, tunnels, gaps in walls etc.. Just practice getting to these spots without dying and then go for it.

I'll funnel people into a cage, pop a solar barrage before i enter and try reflective light spam a few on the way (especially if they're coming from range). Then I'll take them in, ult and sweep. Readjust as needed.
    Edited by BNOC on May 2, 2019 10:43AM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find that you have to have a balanced build in PVP. To much damage and you die to easy. To much defense and you can't kill anything.

Heavy armor build with light belt and medium hands.

Shadow rend X2 both defensive and offensive and sometimes you can use the pet to LOS. Maw of the inferno also works as a good LOS pet plus more damage. You just lose the minor maim debuff.

Soulshine X5 really makes the jabs hit hard but still a heavy armor set.

Fortified brass X5 pure defensive set but with addition of immobilization immunity to race against time I am thinking of switching this set out for Cyrodiil's light X5 to get a little more damage but still about the same defense when using jabs. I shouldn't have to stand and take damage as much as I use to.

I also use an altmer to get the extra damage, some stam return, and damage reduction when using jabs.

I use tri-glyphs on all pieces including the tri-stat trait on my jewelry. I also use tri-stat food. My stam is over 19k and because of being an altmer and heavy armor I rarely run out of stam unless I block cast a lot.

If you are using jabs as your spam ability than solar barrage is a better dot to use than vampires bane. You just have to commit to be a magicka melee character.

I run 4 pieces with impen and 3 pieces with well-fitted. My crit resist is about 2500 with additional crit resist from CP.

Front bar I run sharpened lightning staff.
    1 - Puncturing Sweep
    2 - Solar Barrage
    3 - Elemental Drain
    4 - Structured Entropy
    5 - Toppling Charge
    Ult - Cresent Sweep - This is my main burst damage ability.

Back bar I run defensive restoration staff.
    1 - Honor the Dead
    2 - Ritual of Retribution
    3 - Race Against Time
    4 - Structured Entropy
    5 - Channeled Focus
    Ult - Temporal Guard - Purely for the minor protection passive for having it slotted since I do not run any Aedric Spear abilities on this bar.

This build is very balanced and difficult to kill. But, I do have problems with other tanky builds. We basically end in a stale mate and I just find a way to disengage and leave the fight. Hence the desire to try and get a little more damage from Cyrodiil's light set.

P.S. I can solo IC zone bosses with this build and even deal with the average person jumping in on the fight.
    Edited by Sheuib on May 5, 2019 1:46PM