Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More Enchanting Questions

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
I'm playing a magsorc level 50 (in Necro), and have some questions regarding jewelry enchanting.

What is better:
1. Magicka Recovery, or
2. Reduce Magicka cost of spells, or
3. Spell Damage.
4. Or one of each. Or three spell damage glyphs?

While swapping out runestones, I discovered a weapon Glyph of Rage: "Increase your weapon and spell damage by 348 for 5 seconds." Any drawbacks to using this glyph?

Thank you for your help.
Edited by Sixsixsix161 on April 22, 2019 11:31PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PVE, most magicka DPS are running an Infused (trait on weapon) "Berserker" glyph (The increase weapon damage on one staff), 3x spell damage glyphs on the jewelry. Depending on sustain, you can run either an "Absorb magicka" glyph on your front bar staff, or run a flame enchant on your front bar if you don't have sustain issues.

It's a different story in PVP, as you might need more sustain (running infused jewelry), so you might run a recovery glyph.

If you are a healer, running cost reduction and recovery glyphs is normal, but not for DPS.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, appreciate the help.

• Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a place where you can purchase jewelry? Or do you have to get that from enemies you kill? Talking about blank rings/necklaces, or is there a way you can overwrite information/enchants already on the jewelry, or erase information/enchants already on jewelry?

Also, is jewelry limited to the level of enchants you can put on them? I.e., if my new level 1 character kills an enemy and gets a blank ring, can I put an enchant on it for level 50 CP160, for example? If there's such a restriction, does that hold for staffs, too.

Thanks.

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a place where you can purchase jewelry? Or do you have to get that from enemies you kill? Talking about blank rings/necklaces, or is there a way you can overwrite information/enchants already on the jewelry, or erase information/enchants already on jewelry?

Also, is jewelry limited to the level of enchants you can put on them? I.e., if my new level 1 character kills an enemy and gets a blank ring, can I put an enchant on it for level 50 CP160, for example? If there's such a restriction, does that hold for staffs, too.

Thanks.

I don't think any NPC's sell "blank" jewelry. You can get it from enemies you kill, Dolmens drop it regularly, Battleground rewards drop it regularly as well.

You can override the enchants on them by crafting a new glyph.

Glyphs can only be applied to jewelry of the appropriate level or above. So a CP150 glyph can be applied to a CP160 piece, but not vice-versa. And yes, it holds for all gear in the game.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

I'll have to go back and try it again.

I took one of my level 20 rings and tried to overwrite the information (right click, enchant), but it didn't show me any enchants, and I only had 5 in my inventory. all for level 50 CP305. Oh, yeah probably not because of the low-level ring vs the high level enchant. Got it.

Tomorrow I'll try to put the Glyph of Rage on my staff. I know that's a level 50cp160 for sure.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sixsixsix161, remember that you level up pretty fast when below level 50.

New enchants are a nice novelty to have ... but you’ll level out of them in a hurry.

The choice is still yours of course. Maybe you have a surplus of enchanting runes to burn. Maybe you’re keeping the rings for future Alt characters. Indeed, I have sets of level 26 Ravager and level 26 Alteration Mastery sitting in house storage ... for new necromancer Alts.

After that though, enchants are kind of a waste (IMO) on low level characters.

Just something to think about is all ...
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I don't think any NPC's sell "blank" jewelry.
    I think there's an Npc vendor in the mages guild that will sell more or less on level white quality jewelry (not part of a set). If I remember you can get rings in any of the 3 basic traits but necklaces only in healthy. They don't carry an enchant. It's only marginally useful for a leveling character. I looked into it when Summerset launched but I didn't really buy much (anything?) there.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all.

I should explain. My character is level 50 in a Necro set of armor, but that's about as high as she'll ever get. Reason is that I'm basically a solo player because of medical reasons.

So, all those high-level weapons (with traits) you get in the trials and whatever those events are called is something I'll never see, which is ok with me, especially since I'll never do anything higher then a public dungeon. I'll just keep on questing and picking up stuff from drops, which isn't too bad, my character has a 1138 destro and resto staff with health leech which I'll probably play with from here to eternity.

I just wanted to increase my damage, and the rings/necklace increase is 174 X 3=522 and the 348 increase on the staff for a total damage increase of 870. Maybe that will help a little in the public dungeons.

Thanks again for the help

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideally you’d want your jewelry to be part of a 3pc or 5pc set. Some good ones can be obtained pretty easily, like Willpower or Mother’s Sorrow are cheap from guild stores. Then once you have the set bonuses you can add whatever enchants you want and even change the traits with transmutation. The only difficult thing would be finding set pieces for sale before CP160, since most things for sale will be at this level (the gear cap). For enchants you’ll want as many Spell Damage glyphs as you can, without getting to the point where you run out of Magicka in combat.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    NOTE:

OK, that was interesting.

The Glyph of Rage (weapon), increasing spell damage by 348 is a cp160 glyph. I mistakenly installed the enchant on my resto staff, but that turned out to be a good thing because it overwrote the 18XX lightining damage and XXX health leech. So, I'm glad I didn't put that on my destro staff.

I got two rings and a necklace from the NPC in the mages guild. The rings had a + 725 magicka enchantment on them, the necklace had a + 825 health enchantment on them. After some trial and errors, and moving runes around, I had to settle for 152 spell damage for each piece of jewelry instead of 174 each. The issue was that the NPC only sold CP 150 jewelry, not CP 160. But, again, that was ok because unlike the staff, the original enchants stayed on the jewelry after I added the spell damage enchants. I lost a few hundred magicka because the Necro jewelry had slightly higher numbers, but that was ok because I picked up a total of 456 spell damage.

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Sixsixsix161 I'm sorry, I hope the mages guild jewelry did not cost you excessively. I was not trying to recommend use of them, just filling in a minor bit of technical information. You seem to be confused between the jewelry trait (adds magicka/health/stamina, can't easily be replaced) and the enchantment (spell damage/magicka regeneration etc). Jewelry enchantments can easily be replaced if you have the correct glyph at any time. I'm sure that you would do better overall by using the Necro jewelry and replacing the original enchants on them (probably magicka recovery) with spell damage glyphs. The items that came from the mages guild will not have set bonuses.