The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Upcoming Changes to Earth Gore

BXR_Lonestar
BXR_Lonestar
✭✭✭✭✭
Me and a few guildmates were talking about the anticipated upcoming changes for Earth Gore which, for the time being, appears that it will now be limited to a single target heal and it will try to target the person with the lowest health. If the goal was to make sure EVERY class, regardless of role, not use this helmet, then limiting this to a single target proc will basically guarantee that you will never see Earth Gore again in PVE or PVP. All of its utility will have been decimated.

I get that the way Earth Gore is now may be a problem and that the set has become so crutch that even stam characters are using it as a free lifesaver for themselves and in small groups, so Zos is trying to look at ways to remove the Crutch. I'm not against changes, but I've already played one game (Destiny) where in the rush to break up/change the meta for PVP, the company basically broke the sandbox for both PVP and PVE - and I'm worried something along those lines may happen here as well. With that said, I think changes could be made to how Earth Gore works so that it wasn't a crutch in PVP, but it still maintains its utility across both modes for the role players who were intended to use it.

One idea we discussed was that Zen could make Earth Gore's heal scale off of the casting player's magika pool and make the scaling so that at the lower threshholds of a mag pool, it would not offer significant healing. This would force all stam characters using Earth Gore as a free life every 35 seconds to move away from the set, since the healing offered would no longer outweigh utility from other sets. IMO, these are the players that Zen should really be trying to force to change, without doing harm to dedicated healers in either mode.

Mag characters could still use it effectively, but then those mag characters have to make a utility choice of damage/utility vs. having a strong heal. When faced with this kind of choice, most players would want the extra kill potential, and would rather leave the Earth Gore on a designated healer instead - which is where it should be. And if the change wasn't enough to force non-healers away from using Earth Gore, then the solution is to buff damage sets so that the decision between kill potential and survivability is a bigger choice.

IMO, I think this kind of balancing change warrants consideration at least because the goal should not be to destroy Earth Gore entirely because of its abuse in one mode when the helm has great utility for healers in both PVE and PVP. Rather, the goal should be to only push people who are using it as a crutch away from it while preserving its utility for people who have dedicated themselves to the healing craft in either mode. What do you guys think?

• LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very glad this proc set gets nerfed. Skoria & Zaan next please.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The helmet is just as much a crutch in PvE as it is in PvP.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remove all proc sets
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still not a nerf. Remove all harmful effects and heal 1 is stronger than remove 1 and heal 6. If you cant see this you don't PvP.

And if you use this for PvE... There are MANY sets that are are better then the current live earthgore. Use them!
    Edited by Kikke on April 21, 2019 4:59PM
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less Zerg saving grace, but will definitely save your butt in 1vs1. Still a very potent helmet. For PvE all my guild healers moved back to Bogdan and Sentinel already so its not that an issue at least for us.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would fight for healers but in this case it's actually not that bad of a change. It was honestly used most cases to save 1 ally in PvE anyways. In other cases, it blocked cases of us picking something other then earthgore or nightflame. Now we will have pick lord warden, shadowren, chokten, troll king now. There's options.

Troll King + Chokten in a zerg will get you similar results earthgore brought you btw.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A change I would like to see regarding Earthgore is that it not be proc'd by pets. Not a problem in group dungeons but I do a LOT of overland healing around dolmens and WBs and it is not uncommon for summoned pets picking up heals from my healing springs - reducing its up and available time for players who might need it. Dropping the number of recipients to 1 really emphasizes the need for pets not to be able to proc it.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A change I would like to see regarding Earthgore is that it not be proc'd by pets. Not a problem in group dungeons but I do a LOT of overland healing around dolmens and WBs and it is not uncommon for summoned pets picking up heals from my healing springs - reducing its up and available time for players who might need it. Dropping the number of recipients to 1 really emphasizes the need for pets not to be able to proc it.

True
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frostz417 wrote: »
    Remove all proc sets

Agreed remove all dam proc sets!
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish they would also change the animation for it since it only effects one person. I can see times when it will go off and someone tries to stay in the blood rain thinking it is helping them.
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    Kikke wrote: »
    And if you use this for PvE... There are MANY sets that are are better then the current live earthgore. Use them!

clearly you've never used earthgore in a vet trial

• ShadowKyuubi
    ShadowKyuubi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »

I mean, Kikke is right. Earthgore is good for healers who are doing progressions and learning. Moving to Bogdan and Sentinel is preferred for more experienced healers. The only trial that I think earthgore really helps with is vCR, but that is mainly for the tanks and that massive healing debuff.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »

Earthgore is pretty weak in vet trials. Maybe ok in something like vAS HM progression (if people can’t kite or block), but the long cooldown kills it for nearly all other trials.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only really has a place in pve in learning new dungeons anyway. Once you learn the dungeon or for trials - Bogdan outputs a lot more healing. Sentinel is good too.