Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Need help deciding on a class/build

Vardd
Vardd
Soul Shriven
Hey, everyone. I know this question probably comes up a lot, but I figured I would just ask for advice anyway. I have a decent amount of time into this game so far, but the unfortunate thing is that most of that time has been spent trying to level different classes/builds instead of truly taking my time and enjoying the game. So far, ive leveled a magicka warden up to around level 20 and a stam sorcerer up to around level 11, but thats the furthest ive gotten in the leveling process. Ive tried all of the classes (but not every build/role), but ive found it difficult to gauge whether I like the class/build or not by only leveling to level 5-10 (except for magicka warden and stam sorcerer, neither of which I liked.

So, instead of spending more of my time trying to decide what I will like through random leveling of different classes/builds, I figured I could ask you guys to offer up your suggestions for classes/builds that seem suited to my playstyle.

Typically, I enjoy melee DPS and like being in the middle of the action. I usually don't like classes that have an overwhelmingly easy rotation that require very little thought, but if a class/build with an easy rotation still manages to be fun and interesting, i'm not entirely opposed to trying it out. Honestly, my biggest goal is fun and not highest dps, but high dps output is always a plus. I'm really open to trying anything, even if its not melee, with the exception of magicka warden or stamina sorc because I find no enjoyment in playing either.

I am also planning to do both PvE and PvP, although I will most likely be spending the majority of time for a while doing PvE before starting and PvP.

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

TL;DR: Looking for suggestions for a class/build to commit to instead of burning myself out on trying to decide on classes. Prefer melee dps, Decent in PvE and PvP (Primarily PvE), would prefer to stay away from magicka warden and stam sorc.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So in my opinion, its really hard to judge a class based on low levels. You really haven't unlocked most of their tool-kit at that point.

I may be biased - I love my stam sorcs. A good stam sorc is an AOE monster in melee range. I've got Hurricane chewing up mobs all around me, while I use Dual Wield to single target or Bow to pump out more AOEs with Endless Hail, while Crit Surge heals me every time I crit, giving me the best stam self-heals short of a stam warden. Honestly, stam sorc was the easiest class I ever leveled...and I can't help but feel like at level 11 you've barely scratched the surface.

But that's enough about stam sorcs. If you don't like them, that's totally okay.

If you want to play melee, I'd recommend giving Dragonknight a try. Both Mag and Stam DK are powerful melee fighters, with a toolkit that lends itself well to being both tank and DD. MagDK will be more fire based, while Stam DKs are poison based.

I enjoyed my DKs. Though I tend to play them more as tanks in PVE, they can certainly make for effective DDs.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamblade or magplar.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard to tell if you like it or not before weapon swap at Lvl 15
    & until you get to 50 you haven't gotten to play with all the skills.

Stam Warden is fun (if a bit of a face roll)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For context, I'm a casual player that is not chasing scoreboards. I can hold my own in vet level group content. So yay!

I played a StamDK in PVE for the longest time because I liked the up close melee action. Has great survivability and sustain. Got the DPS to 33K without a VMA bow. Its a fun, albeit boring at times build. I say boring only because the StamDK is lacking in things like an execute for DW, has a pretty limited skills pool to choose from, and runs the same static rotation over and over and over. Its a reliable damage dealer, but not dynamic. The upside is I can easily respec the StamDK for tanking if I want to.

Switched to a Stamblade earlier this year and love it. A little less tanky, similar sustain, but the rotation is more fun as you have to stay on top of your buffs. Can still get in the middle of it, but you have to be aware of the mechanics and move a lot more than the StamDK. Also played a Magblade for a short time. More of a ranged melee. Was fun in PVE, but I use him more in PVP.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a StamSorc right now, and i love her, she can pretty easily massacre a Group Dungeon without a problem, but as she is really a MONSTER, she's boring to play, as StamSorc don't have a indetity of their own, the class skills she uses are Hurricane, Bound Armaments and Crit Surge, and that's it

I really want to try StamWarden, i will buy most DLCs on the weekend and i'm really excited to play a Bosmer Druid, Warden have a lot of Stamina Skills and they're usefull, so for me to say, i would pick that StamSorc are really easy play, but as i see from other people StamWarden is much more fun to play, so i would test it, maybe with a little roleplay as what i can see you're just getting boring on the MMO system
    Edited by yRaven on April 23, 2019 4:00PM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)