The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A question on trials

Ishibrows
Ishibrows
Hello everyone :smile:

I just wanted to ask a question about trials. Since returning from my hiatus I've actually met quite a few nice people and because of that I've been able to do dungeons/vet dungeons, which I would've never been able to do before. I would absolutely love to try out a trial, however I've heard that it's preferable to be in a discord call while doing one. Essentially, discord is not a good place for me to be; I have anxiety problems and using the service itself brings back less than pleasant memories of horrible people. So I was wondering if doing trials without being in a discord call is possible? I feel like it's a silly question but for example every guild advertisement I've seen that runs trial content has a mandatory discord.

That's all really, thank you for reading! :blush:

Best Answer

• VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is not just for you to talk. Sometimes it's just confusing if to many people are talking. When it comes to trials it's more so the lead can give you and others instruction.

A normal run will most likely never ask you to use discord. Since normal runs are made all the time in zone chat with random people. But for a veteran run, it's a different story. You will most likely never see a veteran trial run being organized in zone chat with random people. A group like that will most likely just wipe, a lot. A veteran run has to be organized and planned, even then it can still be a challenge.

Bottom line. If you go as DD in a trial run and have discord, you will probably only need to listen. You won't have to say a word. Just type yes to indicate that you are ready. It's more tanks, leads and possibly healers that need to organize and chat more.

I can understand how you feel. I've done a bunch of trials and had discord for years. I still get nervous whenever my mic is on and I speak during a trial. :3 Your not alone about it, so don't worry. :smile:
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
    Answer ✓
  • pat_thetic
    pat_thetic
    ✭✭
    Which platform? There are many pugs/guilds that do normal trials where the mechanics are nearly trivial. As long as you know your role, you should be able to hang out in craglorn and find many people advertising
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not your voice we want, we want you to listen.

We have a few people in every Raid that do not want to talk for a variety of reasons. Some want to be quiet as family is asleep, some dont like their own voice or are not comfortable speaking English. Some dont have a microphone. The reasons for not talking dont matter.

It's that you can listen to the Raid leader. Callouts for Mechanics or Rezzes are the big things here. If you dont want to speak, no problem, type in Group Chat if you need to say something.

One nice thing, if your not going to speak, then you dont have to have headphones on, unless you want to. Discord can output to your speakers if you want.
    Edited by Nestor on April 19, 2019 6:17PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ishibrows
    Ishibrows
    pat_thetic wrote: »
    Which platform? There are many pugs/guilds that do normal trials where the mechanics are nearly trivial. As long as you know your role, you should be able to hang out in craglorn and find many people advertising

PC/EU, I’ll give it a try one day then!

Nestor wrote: »
    It's not your voice we want, we want you to listen.

We have a few people in every Raid that do not want to talk for a variety of reasons. Some want to be quiet as family is asleep, some dont like their own voice or are not comfortable speaking English. Some dont have a microphone. The reasons for not talking dont matter.

It's that you can listen to the Raid leader. Callouts for Mechanics or Rezzes are the big things here. If you dont want to speak, no problem, type in Group Chat if you need to say something.

One nice thing, if your not going to speak, then you dont have to have headphones on, unless you want to. Discord can output to your speakers if you want.

Oohh okay. I can probably manage with that then, didn’t think it was that simple, sorry! The point about headphones is great as mine hurt my head when they’re on too long :sweat_smile:

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone :smile:

I just wanted to ask a question about trials. Since returning from my hiatus I've actually met quite a few nice people and because of that I've been able to do dungeons/vet dungeons, which I would've never been able to do before. I would absolutely love to try out a trial, however I've heard that it's preferable to be in a discord call while doing one. Essentially, discord is not a good place for me to be; I have anxiety problems and using the service itself brings back less than pleasant memories of horrible people. So I was wondering if doing trials without being in a discord call is possible? I feel like it's a silly question but for example every guild advertisement I've seen that runs trial content has a mandatory discord.

That's all really, thank you for reading! :blush:

No one should expect or try to force you to use discord. Its simply not required. The game has perfectly good voice comms as standard, i.e group chat when grouped. Or of course some groups initiate a psf/xbox live party for folk to join (which is unnecessary because group chat is fine!).

You absolutely do not need to join discord to access trials. You can travel to Craglorn and ask for a group, there are usually people advertising for players to run a trial. And you can advertise the trials you would like to run and often folk will invite you. Or you can join a guild that runs trials regularly (which you absolutely should).

The other thing to do, is purchase a cheap USB keyboard, I got mine for literally £2.50p. When I do not feel like chatting, or when the group just isnt chatting, I can quickly and easily communicate using my keyboard.

Happy gaming!
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also use Teamspeak. But jokes aside, for normal you are fine without voice communication if you at least inform your self a bit about the trial so you know whats going on. On veteran it gets very problematic, as quick and precise calls are essential in many situations. I guess you could still do it with out to some level, but that would require you to have a competent group and be experienced your self.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one should expect or try to force you to use discord. Its simply not required. The game has perfectly good voice comms as standard, i.e group chat when grouped. Or of course some groups initiate a psf/xbox live party for folk to join (which is unnecessary because group chat is fine!).
    The signature shows this is for PC, which does not have voice communication at all, unless you use an external service, such as Discord or Teamspeak.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would still recommend getting discord to run with guildies, since those runs are usually the more fun ones, especially when they need to explain mechanics etc etc. Going there while muted shouldn't be a problem at all from their side, therefore you dont need to speak at all! If you still have a problem with it, feel free to talk it out
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    For normal trials (except maybe HoF) discord is not at all required, and if people insist you use it, just decline. As someone who runs normal trials all the time with craglorn pugs, you can absolutely do the normal trials with no discord. Look me up, I'd invite you along anytime :)

A good guidelines is, if you can do basic vet dungeons (not the hard DLC ones), you can do normal trials (again, except HoF, that one is a bit harder than the other normals).
  • Ishibrows
    Ishibrows
    @VDoom1
    Yeah I’ve heard as much from a friend who did a veteran trial the other day. We’re trying to organise a normal trial run in our guild at some point, I’ve heard about how angry some people can get so I’d rather do it with people who I know before I jump on the offers in chat, my sorc is still a little squishy unfortunately 😅

Ah okay, I main a DD so that’s fine by me. And I do feel a little silly about worrying about other people on an online game but then again Discord is a whole other level. Thank you for the advice 😊
  • Ishibrows
    Ishibrows
    @msalvia
    Okay, it’s kind of a shame about HoF as it’s always interested me but the gear I eventually need is in Cloudrest. And thank you so much! I’d like to come along for sure, looking forward to it if it happens 😊

I’m capable of doing vet normal dungeons for sure, thank you for the tip!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The signature shows this is for PC, which does not have voice communication at all, unless you use an external service, such as Discord or Teamspeak.

Ah I did not notice that, thank you. Interesting that consoles have better comms.