The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

- The Truth About Factions in ESO -

• Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we can get a goblin poly or the gem can be similar to the skele quest item and used in cyro, then I don’t care.

Otherwise faction locks are a bit of an inconvenience when your faction happens to be destroying all of pvp and when you’d normally swap to the smaller faction for fights you can’t anymore.

shor will be dead.
    Vivec too laggy and that sotha pop looking like a snack 2 3 1

Let me go dc and get fights for the health of the campaign.
    Why encourage pvdooring and players faction stacking against pop size by preventing some of those 3 bar ep from getting on ad or dc to even the field.

If the scoring was actually more beneficial and rewarding to the overall game I could understand the loyalty. But all you get are some jewelry pieces and gold. Woohoo.

Maybe if the winning faction gave benefits to guild store costs, overland bonuses. Interesting rewards.

In the case of faction locks make faction scoring compiled from all the campaigns into one score ep vs ad vs dc.
    True loyalty!
    /me
    The pact bleeds red, summon deadlyheels from the catacombs of arrius, we are under attack!
    Edited by Irylia on April 18, 2019 3:56PM
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time RvR meant anything was when you got PvE buffs.
    Which was also when we had faction locks.
    Which was also when emp trading for passives and general so-called “exploitative” actions regarding any logging to another character potentially mattered.
    Which was also the last time we had a PvP population to fill more than one server.
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    frozywozy wrote: »
    Glory wrote: »
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    MipMip wrote: »
    For people who are interested in the score and want to know that the guy they are fighting along side right now won't be fighting against them in 30 minutes, well now there will be an option for that as well. There currently is no option for those people at all.

If some people want to play exclusively with other people who care about the faction score I am totally ok with creating a campaign for them.

But the way the lock is planned now this is not the case. Since the only popular & populated campaigns (the 30 day campaigns) will be locked if this goes live, people who are not interested in the score will be forced to play there too, and you will be playing alongside people who don't care about the score and whose actions will not be directed at winning the campaign.

No you will be choosing to play there because you will be prioritizing a fuller server over your playstyle of faction jumping. The same thing could be said if the shoe was on the other foot that faction loyalists would be forced to play there on the 30 day faction hopper campaign because there won't be enough people to fill a 7 day locked server. In either case there is a choice. What you people are doing is creating a self fulfilling prophecy. You are all preaching don't go there as there will not be enough players there, which will make no one go there and not be enough players there. Give it a shot for 7 days, it's only 7 days. We also do not know how this will play out over 3 - 6 months. There will certainly be more reasons to play the 7 day campaign now than there have been on live for the last 2 years.

I don't want to be pessimist and encourage a bad behavior but we have to be realistic here. We barely have enough population to cover 2 campaigns which are currently Vivec and Sotha. Don't get your hopes up thinking that people will actually populate a third campaign or switch from Vivec / Sotha to a third one. The best and most logical odds would be that people spread between two campaigns first, and when the game gets more popular / attractive / playable, then think about a third one.

Thank you for being realistic. Although I disagree with your stance on faction locks, it is nice to see that you agree that populations aren't healthy enough to see this mystical revival of non-faction locked campaigns.

You must have misunderstood what I said. I am convinced that Sotha will get alot of new players, groups, even guilds trying it out and help that campaign get more active during offhours. The only reason why this could not work would be because of the pride of players who strongly disagree with faction locks and who want to prouve the world wrong.

I have always been very encouraged and motivated to play the most popular campaign since release because of the opportunities we get to have action any time of the day. This patch, we took the decision, as a guild, to move entirely to Sotha Sil. This was a hard decision but we believe that if we give it a chance, and encourage this behavior, the health of both 30 days campaigns will be much better in the end.

Groups who enjoy playing on different factions can also help make it better in their own way.

I have three factions, so by your argument I get to play on two, because there is only enough pop to have two servers even remotely populated.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Throwback to March 2016 when ZOS removed faction locks because they were a bad idea. Back when we had more population to fill servers naturally instead of artificially.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2753849#Comment_2753849
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, maybe ZoS will take note, maybe not, but why not lock one 30-day and one 7-day, and unlock one 30-day and one 7-day. Then it doesn’t matter which side of this *** argument any of you are on. You go where you want, for as long as you want. If people are bitching about transmute geodes, then take them away. Go back to pre CC and farm the gear until you get the traits you need.

Once again, this is a response to all the pvpers who *** about people joining the 30-day for the transmute geodes on multiple toons. Who cares. Rather than complain about every little thing, why not just go play the damn game? Really, this game has way more problems than catering to play styles. I mean, they’re offering to let you buy skyshards for your non mains if your mains have found them. That’s up to140 skill points that you no longer have to go grind for more than once. Take an alt, get skill points, play with friends, or against them, or don’t.

If you want ZoS to take note, then stop playing. Cancel your account, go to another game. The only things they care about are user count and $$. If you really want them to listen, then you need to hit them where they’ll notice.
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glory wrote: »
    Throwback to March 2016 when ZOS removed faction locks because they were a bad idea. Back when we had more population to fill servers naturally instead of artificially.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2753849#Comment_2753849

Many thanks @Glory for looking up the March 2016 Patch notes were it says 'Removed the alliance restrictions for campaign reassignments; you may now have characters from any alliance assigned to the same campaign.' Faction locks are still a bad idea.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    If the new Shor is empty, that will be because players didn't care enough about locked/unlocked to give it a chance. Have PvP guild leaders to whom unlocked is important been talking to each other to develop a population base? If communities want to make sure they get to play with one another coordination and placing alts in different campaigns seem like good ideas.

Have you discussed what folks would like to do, given the upcoming restraints, in-guild? If you were to settle on one faction for the thirty-day campaign which would it be? Are your membership mains equally divided among the factions or is one dominant? Does everyone really care or would some be willing to play alts/develop a different faction main to facilitate playing with guildies?

You see that's the thing-
    Our guild like many others of the same type, play 2 times a week. We all have our friends on our main faction, or additional guilds who we play with daily, and twice a week (or 3 in the past) we would group up on one alliance to play together as a team. If I was to ask my guildies to choose a faction for our guild, each would name their main one and we won't get to any agreements - even if we choose the one where the most are mained, some people will have to make a choice between us and the guilds/friends they play with daily.

And yes, we have started discussing it. Most people are considering giving up on their additional guilds, or thinking of starting up a second account to play with both. Neither option here seems reasonable to me - making people grind their lives all over again and pay for an additional account, or choosing among friends. That makes no sense to me.

Just like Rhage said before:
    Just tell your friend next door that you are gonna have to hang out with your friends from the other neighborhood for 30 days, and you’ll resume hanging out with him in 30 days because someone who only plays in a 3rd neighborhood thinks you should only have fun with those in one neighborhood.

This is really how we feel it is - we have to make a choice between group of friends we've been playing with for years and years just because other people don't like us playing with both.
    Characters: (PC NA)
    Ruerock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Ruepork the Magsorc | Magsorc __________________ Nirnshade | Magblade
    Pay To Warden | Magden _________________________ Moar Siege | Stamsorc
    Necrotic Orb | Magcro ____________________________ Bluerock | mDK
    Thelol Kadjit | Magplar ___________________________ Chalman Keep | Stamden
    Characters: (PC EU)
    Reurock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Refrigerator Boy | Magden _______________________ One Button AoE Stun| Magsorc
    Why So Spearious | Stamplar _____________________ Ree ee ee ee | StamDK
    Faction Locked | Magblade _______________________ Bae Blade| Stamblade
    You Shalk Not Pass | Stamden ____________________ Frag N Cheese | Magsorc

🔥 Nirnstorm.com - Top Tier PvP Builds & Guides 🔥

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch
    : Twitch.tv/Nirnstorm
    YouTube: YouTube.com/Nirnstorm
    Community Discord: https://discord.gg/APy9KK3

PvP Guild - Flame - [ Videos ]

Faction Lock contradicts the One-Tamriel concept.
    Please do NOT keep it in the game.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NirnStorm wrote: »
    If the new Shor is empty, that will be because players didn't care enough about locked/unlocked to give it a chance. Have PvP guild leaders to whom unlocked is important been talking to each other to develop a population base? If communities want to make sure they get to play with one another coordination and placing alts in different campaigns seem like good ideas.

Have you discussed what folks would like to do, given the upcoming restraints, in-guild? If you were to settle on one faction for the thirty-day campaign which would it be? Are your membership mains equally divided among the factions or is one dominant? Does everyone really care or would some be willing to play alts/develop a different faction main to facilitate playing with guildies?

Our guild like many others of the same type, play 2 times a week. We all have our friends on our main faction, or additional guilds who we play with daily, and twice a week (or 3 in the past) we would group up on one alliance to play together as a team. If I was to ask my guildies to choose a faction for our guild, each would name their main one and we won't get to any agreements - even if we choose the one where the most are mained, some people will have to make a choice between us and the guilds/friends they play with daily.

And yes, we have started discussing it. Most people are considering giving up on their additional guilds, or thinking of starting up a second account to play with both. Neither option here seems reasonable to me - making people grind their lives all over again and pay for an additional account, or choosing among friends. That makes no sense to me.

Just tell your friend next door that you are gonna have to hang out with your friends from the other neighborhood for 30 days, and you’ll resume hanging out with him in 30 days because someone who only plays in a 3rd neighborhood thinks you should only have fun with those in one neighborhood.

This is really how we feel it is - we have to make a choice between group of friends we've been playing with for years and years just because other people don't like us playing with both.

sounds like you would rather play on a busy server than with your friends
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sounds like you would rather play on a busy server than with your friends

Looking from what he wrote in the starting post,
    NirnStorm wrote:
    You can tell me we can go to the 7days campaign, but knowing my timezone and the amount of players in Cyro off-primetime, I know it will be dead empty.

He just wants to play with his mates in the only living one in cyro off prime.
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    So back when faction locks were a thing, I played mostly Had and Chill. They were fun for a few hrs each day, but what essentially happened was you beat the same 2 maybe 3 guilds on the opposing sides a few time and they ran off to the 30 day campaign until they could PvDoor their friend to emp. This was 2-3 years ago now, back when there was a bigger PvP population overall. So how is it going to go down now? Magic 8 ball says: same thing, only it won't be guild groups, you'll get to kill the same 10 opposing players total.
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry but this isnt professional sports. you don't "Pick your team and play for it" you play however you personally enjoy and for many MANY MANY people that means many characters in MULTIPLE FACTIONS. and Faction lock is coming to hugely negatively impact how they can PVP.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    Sorry but this isnt professional sports. you don't "Pick your team and play for it" you play however you personally enjoy and for many MANY MANY people that means many characters in MULTIPLE FACTIONS. and Faction lock is coming to hugely negatively impact how they can PVP.

How many? Any link to released player information from zos? I haven't heard them releasing any population info in years. Genuinely interested in knowing where you have gotten your info.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • SippingPotions
    SippingPotions
    ✭✭✭
    2barviv.png
    I play on PC NA. At the time of writing this post there are two bars of each faction in Vivec and no other campaign has any. “Just go play in the 7 day” they say.
    Edited by SippingPotions on April 28, 2019 10:43AM
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2barviv.png
    I play on PC NA. At the time of writing this post there are two bars of each faction in Vivec and no other campaign has any. “Just go play in the 7 day” they say.

This is exactly what I try to explain to people every time. But they don't even try to listen.
    Unless you play primetime you don't count in ESO :(

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to be pessimist and encourage a bad behavior but we have to be realistic here. We barely have enough population to cover 2 campaigns which are currently Vivec and Sotha.

On XNA it's actually only one, outside a few hours prime time.
    dtsharples wrote: »
    Then it seems your issue lies in your time zone, not a faction lock.

Yes, he should move countries. 'Murica!

Edited by Mr_Walker on April 30, 2019 2:27AM
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many? Any link to released player information from zos? I haven't heard them releasing any population info in years. Genuinely interested in knowing where you have gotten your info.

I was on a blue on the weekend (lateish primetime) on XNA, pushing towards red gates, was sieging Arrius with my guild and a few randos, so red didn't have a lot of places to go, and the defence was about 20-30 strong, so I'm going to guess population isn't exactly enormous.
    2barviv.png

Sotha on Xbox NA outside "primetime" is so dead a few people can paint the map if they can be bothered. Not real busy during primetime either, just quietly.

Edited by Mr_Walker on April 30, 2019 2:37AM
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »

I agree totally about how faction lock is going to very negatively impact the PvP experience for many of us. And I would like to add that it's not even about 'picking your team' because a faction (an anonymous mass of players most of whom do not know each other) is not a team by any definition I know of.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will still have a server you can cross faction in. I expect the 7day campaign to have more people in it after the patch.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »
    You will still have a server you can cross faction in. I expect the 7day campaign to have more people in it after the patch.

Once again, what if I am not playing on primetime?
    Off primetime the most pop there ever is, is 3 bars average per faction. And all the other campaigns are empty.

Even if we are being super optimistic, and say the pop splits equally between the 30day and the 7day, which obviously isn't realistic, we would end up having 1-2 bars at most, which is pretty much an empty campaign...

This solution might work for primetime but if you play on a different time zone you're pretty much forced to make a choice between your friends groups and guilds.

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch

• Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be good for 4-6 weeks after patch then be a dead buff server for probably DC considering how faction loyal AD/EP are on PCNA at least.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock should be applied to all campaigns.
    Lethal zergling
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the people i know are happy about faction lock

• Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Once again, what if I am not playing on primetime?
    Off primetime the most pop there ever is, is 3 bars average per faction. And all the other campaigns are empty.

Even if we are being super optimistic, and say the pop splits equally between the 30day and the 7day, which obviously isn't realistic, we would end up having 1-2 bars at most, which is pretty much an empty campaign...

This solution might work for primetime but if you play on a different time zone you're pretty much forced to make a choice between your friends groups and guilds.

I agree with you, man. But look at some of the further replies in the thread, calling for complete removal of choice all together. I do not understand how these people think there is a problem out there that requires this as a solution.

Bad player behavior is best corrected by ZOS ACTUALLY enforcing its TOS. Call for them to upgrade their CS dept. before faction locks.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand how these people think there is a problem out there that requires this as a solution.
    And the rest of us do not understand how a small minority of people can't fathom that intervening in a campaign to play AGAINST your faction was ever allowed in the first place.

Lethal zergling
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do not understand how these people think there is a problem out there that requires this as a solution.
    small minority

Objection, your honor. Citation lacks evidence.

Stop trying to enumerate us when you can't. Say 'those that oppose' if you want to be correct.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the rest of us do not understand how a small minority of people can't fathom that intervening in a campaign to play AGAINST your faction was ever allowed in the first place.
    Doesn’t matter when I plan on dunking my own factions scrolls and setting up 20 oils on important keeps for the faction.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"small minority" once again you can't prove that. In fact a poll on here a couple of weeks ago showed the minority wanted a full faction lock. I have more evidence than you. Move along.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    I have more evidence than you. Move along.
    Maybe you do. The thing about evidence is, it doesn't count if you don't show it. As far as evidence goes, take a look at the number of positive reactions to pro-lock comments. Then compare to anti-lock (which generally lack any kind of validation).

Lethal zergling
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    I have more evidence than you. Move along.
    Maybe you do. The thing about evidence is, it doesn't count if you don't show it. As far as evidence goes, take a look at the number of positive reactions to pro-lock comments. Then compare to anti-lock (which generally lack any kind of validation).

Go find the thread, I'm not a forum warrior, it's here somewhere.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My character's faction. I am a guy playing a computer game. I do not have a "faction". I am able distinguish between characters and play on multiple characters, in multiple factions. I also often choose to join a faction that's losing. When the map is painted one colour, that colour is called "opportunity".

Edited by Mr_Walker on May 7, 2019 2:20AM