The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Brotherhood Quest and Synergy not working!?

ESOShepherd
Hi,
is it known that this questline is buggy or am I missing something?
In the quest where I have to kill Lord Quintus Jarol, I cannot kill anybody.
No matter how I sneak and press the button for synergy use, the game wont kill anyone.
its either saying that I cant kill innocent people or the usage is prohibited!
Damn this really reduces the fun in this questline a lot!
Also does it matter which weapon I have equiped for that skilltree?
Edited by ESOShepherd on April 12, 2019 4:16PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    No matter how I sneak and press the button for synergy use, the game wont kill anyone.

You can't do much DB stuff with the setting that prevents damage to innocents. It's off by default, so you must have turned it on for that character. Turn it back off just for the time you're making the required kill(s).

• ESOShepherd
    ghastley wrote: »
    Hi,

You can't do much DB stuff with the setting that prevents damage to innocents. It's off by default, so you must have turned it on for that character. Turn it back off just for the time you're making the required kill(s).

Thanks, just figured it out too. I wouldnt have guessed that I have to look for a game-option.
  • ESOShepherd
    Another question: Why sometimes when you get portet to a quest-dungeon the target you are supposed to kill doesnt show up anyhwere!?
    I just searched a dungeon twice in every corner but I cant find the target but the quest is still telling me to search for it.
    I also double checked on youtube and he is not there where others find him!
    Edited by ESOShepherd on April 13, 2019 7:14AM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another question: Why sometimes when you get portet to a quest-dungeon the target you are supposed to kill doesnt show up anyhwere!?
    I just searched a dungeon twice in every corner but I cant find the target but the quest is still telling me to search for it.
    I also double checked on youtube and he is not there where others find him!

Keep looking but concentrate on finding a hidden room of some kind. I've had the same thing happen. Target was nowhere to be seen until I stumbled into a hidden room cleverly hidden by the way the map's levels were drawn. The target was in there. If you're sure he's not there, abandon the quest and pick it up again. He will be in a different place than he was the first time and may be easier to find.

Also, I'm not sure about the synergy thing, but if you want to one-shot kill quietly without fighting the target, use the blade of woe. To use the blade of woe, 1) you have to be sneaking / crouched, and 2) you have to sneak up behind the target without anyone seeing you. If you get these two things right, you'll get a prompt to use the blade of woe a few feet behind the target. Push the button and your character will run up and do a glorious (if you like that kind of thing) kill scene. If the target or anyone else sees you sneaking up behind him, he will turn around and you'll have to fight. You'll still get credit for the kill but you'll have a bounty.

And yes, you must have your "prevent attacking innocents" option set to OFF. I leave mine turned on because I'm dumb enough to drop my controller or hit the attack button while in town and end up with guards trying to kill me. I only turn it off when on a Dark Brotherhood mission.