Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Shock sorc trying to increase DPS

TXGandalf
TXGandalf
Soul Shriven
Hello,

I am trying to increase my DPS. I've seen folks posting 50K DPS stats. I am nowhere near that. I am around 20K DPS. I thought I would see what I can do to increase my DPS. My primary focus is shock damage.

5 pc Juliannos
5 pc Netch's touch
2pc Llambris

weapons are Julianos gold.
front bar - charged shock damage lightning staff
back bar - infused - increase spell damage 452 for 5seconds

Breton with Shadow mundus.
CP 768
Max Magika - 35,845
Mag. Recovery - 1621
Spell Damage - 1891
Spell Crit - 50%

I am watching the youtube videos on rotation. But when I practice, the highest I've gotten is 20K.

Is there a better gear maybe for a shock sorcerer? A few folks recommended Burning Spellweave, but that is for fire damage. I've done maelstrom on normal. I am getting ready to start the veteran to get a better staff.

Thanks for suggestions.

• dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Illambris is a set you dont get the most out of unless you use both shock and fire damage. at least use a fire enchant on front bar staff with infused or consider changing your monster set. that's all I Can think of, I'm no dps expert myself.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually it boils down to rotation/gear. Inferno staves will hit harder on single targets. Make sure you're light attacking before every attack. Do you have the alchemy line leveled/medicinal use passive? Are you using spell pots? Max undaunted? Are your dots falling off? All of these things start to add up higher dps.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Maelstrom staff will add some damage if you're light attack weaving. You'll also see higher DPS if you use Siroria as one of your sets. If you're really set on doing pure lightning with no fire then Netch is probably the best set to pair with Siroria, but I think you'll cap at around 40-45k. If you decide to add some fire damage as well then stick with Ilambris, otherwise try Slimecraw (or Zaan, although that is a source of fire damage). The other option is to drop the monster set entirely, and run a Master Lightning staff front bar and a Maelstrom lightning staff back bar. The Master Staff is not the best TBH, but it enables you to use Shock Clench as a spammable (really the only shock-based spammable in the game, and far to expensive and weak to use without the Master destruction staff).
  • TXGandalf
    TXGandalf
    Soul Shriven
    Great feedback.

I thought llambris was a good choice, but I will look at Zaan or Slimecraw. I have the Zaan mask but not the shoulders. I think I have a Slimecraw mask also.

I do like lightning sorcerer play, but not to point, I can't get higher DPS than 20K. I will keep working on my rotation.

I
    Usually it boils down to rotation/gear. Inferno staves will hit harder on single targets. Make sure you're light attacking before every attack. Do you have the alchemy line leveled/medicinal use passive? Are you using spell pots? Max undaunted? Are your dots falling off? All of these things start to add up higher dps.

Yes, I have the alchemy line with medical use passive. I use spell damage increase potions or major physical/spell wards potions. I am working on keeping track of DOTS. Although, it is hard to watch when everything needs to be refreshed and keep an eye on the battle. Especially, in vet mode, but I try to keep DOTS applied at all times and shield up.

front bar - Liquid lightning, crystal fragments, (destructive clench or Mage's fury), bound aegis, inner light and thunderous rage.
    back bar - hardened ward, storm blockade, structured entrophy, bound aegis and (daedric curse or streak)

Depending on dungeon, I may switch out skill. If I need an interrupt, I use crushing shock instead of destructive clench.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Mage's Fury version of that front bar makes no sense to me, because Crystal Frags will almost never proc.

And since you're running Structured Entropy, I question whether you're actually also running spell power potions, given the redundancy. But then, I don't see the point of running Structured Entropy over Power Surge anyway.

I also don't see the point of Streak in a group PvE build. As for Curse, if you don't have pets I hope that's the Haunting Curse morph.
  • TXGandalf
    TXGandalf
    Soul Shriven
    The Mage's Fury version of that front bar makes no sense to me, because Crystal Frags will almost never proc.

And since you're running Structured Entropy, I question whether you're actually also running spell power potions, given the redundancy. But then, I don't see the point of running Structured Entropy over Power Surge anyway.

I also don't see the point of Streak in a group PvE build. As for Curse, if you don't have pets I hope that's the Haunting Curse morph.

Hey great feedback. Yes, I noticed that crystal frags doesn't proc as much with an execute skill. I changed it out for shock clench or destructive clench.

Yes, I use potions for spell power. But mostly now, I've been using protection potion to increase spell/physical resistance or I use a tri-stat.

Yes, curse is morph of haunting curse. I like structure entropy because of might of the guild and increase max magicka. But surge is good also. I've been using both to see which is better for me when in dungeons. I used Streak for a lot of mobs in addition to DOTs. Like when I did Skyreach. I've completed all three solo. But I used streak to evade and stun. Then kite for damage.

Thanks!
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Practice your Skill/LA weaving.
    Trust me, it does wonders. I was in the same spot as you are now, everything set, everything ready to go, but it didn't work out. Go to a target dummy, start practicing the LA and you will see your DPS getting up.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • TXGandalf
    TXGandalf
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks. I will go through the youtube videos again tonight to work on it.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They idea of sticking to a "Shock Sorc" as a character archetype is likely going to hold you back to some degree if you have your sights set on 50k, which is perfectly doable this patch on a mag sorc. Now if you are fine hitting 35-40k without too much effort, its a great approach. 50k sorcs basically use 4 sources of shock damage. 1. An enchant 2. Liquid Lighting. 3. The attro ultimate. 4. The twilight pet.

Sorc can actually be played several different ways. The first question you have to ask, do I want to play a heavy attack rotation or a light attack rotations. The latter is definitely more DPS, but the former favors a shock staff and is generally much easier to play (higher floor, lower ceiling in terms of damage). The next question, do you want to run pets and if so, 1 or 2. With a heavy attack rotation, they are essentially mandatory, with a light attack rotation, I wont say mandatory, but they are certainly way more DPS.

The best damage from a sorc is going to be double fire staff with 2 pets. Slightly behind that is going to be double fire and 1 pet. The biggest problem with two pets for a lot of people is going to be no room for a shield, but if using the twlight matriarch, you can probably get by without it.

You can certainly copy a meta build and slot a shock staff, but you are going to be leaving a decent amount of single target damage on the table.

If you have specific questions, it's a lot easier if you give us more detail about your build and rotation that you are already using.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on April 15, 2019 5:37PM