Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Consoles and group dungeon strategy.

Siohwenoeht
Siohwenoeht
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So I've run into a snag with getting more into vet dungeons and was curious how the console community deals with certain things.

My primary snag is voice comms hardly ever work for me on xb1. I've seen a few threads before but didn't know if this was something that is consistently a problem and if so, how do you typically get around it? Group up on live, use discord etc.

Second is potion swapping. I typically have my offensive pot and tri-pots at all times but it's really clunky for me to switch on the fly. In a group setting I can see not bothering with tri-pot if you have good healers around, but does anyone know a trick for smoother potion selection in the middle of a fight?

Thx in advance!
"It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox elite controller - map one of the back buttons to potions. Job done
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

We can map our controllers on the Xbox? I know when I was on PC that is what I did (not with potions). If so how. What did I miss?
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭
    For your potions just hold up on the D-pad and you can choose which ones from the quick wheel that pops up. Then you just hit the up button to use them.

You can map your buttons if you have an elite controller through the elite controller app on your console. I had my weapon swap mapped to one of the back paddles, it helped a lot.

As far as comms going out on you that's just the nature of the game on consoles. I usually only ever did dlc dungeons with people I knew to negate time being wasted. If you pug it, just get a keyboard and plug it into the USB port and you can use that to type.

All of these reasons, along with lag is why I made the switch to PC. It's a completely different game on PC.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally just run one set of potions, usually spell power pots, in dungeons. Save the tri-stats for PVP.

As for comms. If I am with a guild group we either use guild chat or xbox party chat. Group chat is extremely inconsistent and Party chat is usually pretty solid.

If I am running group finder and in Pugs, I personally avoid chat altogether in vet dungeons, unless we start struggling as a team or if others are talking. And due to the nature of Pug groups, it is easier to just deal with the inconsistent nature of in game group chat than start a party for 10-20 minutes.
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The in-game comms have been an issue for as long as I've been playing the game. Voice channels disappear, players in group get put in separate channels, voice stops working in the middle of dungeons, the whole thing's a mess.

Xbox party chat is more reliable but you still have to fuss to make it work sometimes. It has a tendency to stop recognizing that a player has a microphone connected, and there are occasional issues joining chat when players have themselves set to "Appear Offline" on Xbox.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    MJallday wrote: »

We can map our controllers on the Xbox? I know when I was on PC that is what I did (not with potions). If so how. What did I miss?

Only with an Xbox elite (or custom) controller

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voice com isn't needed - you can also use group chat. All you need is a keyboard of some type, which can be on a tablet via SmartGlass app or a physical keyboard. It's a bit slower than voice communication, but it works. I don't bother with mic most of the time even if I'm doing a vet. I'll use it when running a dungeon with guild folks, but that's about it.
  • ThanatosXR
    ThanatosXR
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Voice com isn't needed - you can also use group chat. All you need is a keyboard of some type, which can be on a tablet via SmartGlass app or a physical keyboard. It's a bit slower than voice communication, but it works. I don't bother with mic most of the time even if I'm doing a vet. I'll use it when running a dungeon with guild folks, but that's about it.

Tablet, just why doesn't MS allow phones to do this? Or is it a windows tablet feature only?

On my galaxy ESO has no smartglass features just a remote control
    Edited by ThanatosXR on May 2, 2019 8:16PM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    build healing or some other kind of defense into your build when you are not playing a healer that you know is good. i do will all my dps build. you really ought never have to use a tripot. only my tanks do.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThanatosXR wrote: »
    Starlock wrote: »

Tablet, just why doesn't MS allow phones to do this? Or is it a windows tablet feature only?

I would assume SmartGlass works on any mobile app enabled device, but I can't speak to that. The only mobile app enabled devices I own are tablets, so I have no idea how (or if) they work on a phone. Works well in an iPad, though I still can't get used to typing on a keyboard that isn't actual keys and mistakes are far more frequent as a result.

Others use a wireless keyboard, or so I hear. I haven't tried it. SmartGlass works well enough for me and cost me nothing.