Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

DK Stam Build: Why does this guide recommend Earthen Heart passives?

Vanchatron
Vanchatron
✭✭
I'm currently reading through a DK PvE build guide on Alcast HQ - https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-build-pve/

For some reason, the guide recommends to invest points in ALL Earthen Heart passives, although I can't figure out why at all, as both skill bars don't contain any Earthen Heart abilities.

Is there something I've missed? Is there any reason to invest points in the Earthen Heart passives even though there's no Earthen Heart skills on the bars?

Thanks.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the battle roar passive. Plus I use igneous weapons so I don't have to waste expensive pots. Unless doing vet trials or hm dlc dungeons
  • Vanchatron
    Vanchatron
    ✭✭
    I don't understand, sorry. How is it for the Battle Roar passive? As far as I'm aware, the Battle Roar passive doesn't have any increased effect based on how many other Earthen Heart passives I've got skill points in, and I can just invest points into it anyway can't I, without spending points in other EH passives?
  • Vanchatron
    Vanchatron
    ✭✭
    For example, let's say with 'Helping Hands' passive... "When you cast an Earthen Heart Ability, you restore 495/990 Stamina. "

How is that gonna activate when I don't have any EH skills on my bars? Unless the proc from Battle Roar counts as an active ability, and therefore procs the other EH passives listed in the build?
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Battle roar helps to gain resources every time you use a ultimate. Any ultimate works not just earthen heart magma armor. At level LL passive you get 46 health, magica and stamina back for every point of the ultimate cast. Example every time you use dawnbreaker ultimate you restore 5750 of each resource.
  • Vanchatron
    Vanchatron
    ✭✭
    I understand the point of using Battle Roar, but what is the point of the other Earthen Heart passives, when I don't have any Earthen Heart skills on my bars? Seems pointless.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanchatron wrote: »
    I understand the point of using Battle Roar, but what is the point of the other Earthen Heart passives, when I don't have any Earthen Heart skills on my bars? Seems pointless.

Some abilities might be used as swap in abilities for certain situations? A guide can't cover everything, but perhaps you will use earthen heart abilities occasionally and since there is no downside to the passives other than needing the skill points for it, why not take them just in case.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like I said I don't use the same setup he does and I do slot igneous weapons which gives me major brutality for 39.6 seconds and minor brutality for 20 seconds. Plus this is the only source of minor brutality in the game I believe and I get 990 Stan back every time I use the skill from helping hands passive. Alcast build has you use potions every 45 seconds which is not realistic for generally game play and normal dungeons.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do not slot silver leash.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that the build shown is an end point, and you have to build up to it. Taking all the passives helps you get there, as you'll use other skills in some slots before they get replaced by later ones. Besides, there's enough skyshards etc. to take any passive that might be useful. It's not like they displace anything, you can have as many passives as you want.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a new player skill points may seem scarce early on. But honestly you want the passives since there is always scenarios where you may need to swap things out. And most builds in eso have flex spots for more specific scenarios. Eventually you will have plenty of skill points that you might as well just get everything from the class passives.

While its true stam dk is likely not going to be able to sustain casting a magicka ability (there are no stam morphs of any EH skills) every 6 seconds for max helping hands and mountains blessing uptime especially considering having to keep up spiked armor and/wings, there ARE scenarios where you may want to run obsidian shield if you want to set up a part time tank.

However, in pvp this changes a bit. Fossilize is one of the best hard CCs in the game, damaging a targets stamina pool twice for the price of a single cast thanks to the root after the stun. Generally as a rule, you want to keep this up on targets to really pressure there stamina pool until you achieve lethal. So when considering the cc immunity timer and the internal CD on mountians blessing, this stun becomes the main conduit for benefiting from EH passives as a stam dk.

Just some food for thought.
  • mcjanzton
    mcjanzton
    Soul Shriven
    Vanchatron wrote: »

Because you will switch skills depending on fight and situation. Sure you will have your must haves, but 2-4 slots are flexible.

You will have plenty of skill points left over unless you invest fully in stuff like crafting + undaunted + Psijic + fighter/mage/thief assassin/ guild + 3 weapon skills etc. Even then there are skill points to spare if you look for them.

Edited by mcjanzton on April 11, 2019 5:30AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All I can think of is at one point, Igneous Weapons was a slotted skill. Plus, Mountain's Blessing builds ultimate when you are in combat. Alcast frequently updates his builds, so its interesting those are in there.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Build already show the 3 scenarios a PVE player would see (Normal, Black Prison and Maelstrom), so i really can't see why that passives are there, maybe Alcast finally get crazy??? Haha, now being serious the Battle Roar is the only one that works without the Skills from the Bar, so i can't see the use of the others....
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen his video, looks like he's using Molten Armaments instead of Flames of Oblivion on the end of bow bar, and it some way reflect on the site
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)