Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Question Regarding Destruction Staff Passives

Vandril
Vandril
✭✭✭✭
Do the Destruction Staff Passives Penetrating Magic and Destruction Expert effect Light/Heavy Destruction Staff Attacks? I'm trying to determine if Magicka builds that use no Destruction Staff abilities should grab these two passives.

In other words, does Penetrating Magic cause your Destruction Staff LA/HA to ignore 10% of your target's Resistances? Likewise, does Destruction Expert proc and recover your Magicka if you get the killing blow on a target with a Destruction Staff LA/HA?
Edited by Vandril on April 9, 2019 5:20AM
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    The passives only work if you have a destruction staff equipped
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your character would be using only class skills, and none of the weapon ones? You'd only get the passive benefits on LA/HA with the staff. Killing blows are often DoT's and AoE's, and if you're using all class skills the chances of the LA/HA from the staff being the final one go down further.

That said, grab all the passives for things you use. Hunt some more skyshards, so you don't have to choose. They're not taking up slots, or anything like that, so the more the better.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you have the weapon or armor equipped, you get the passives if you have the points invested. You should never not be invested in the passives of your weapons, armor and for the most part Class of your character. That is where the real power is.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Test on a target dummy. Add passive and light attack then repeat with no passive and report findings. I for one have never considered it and doubt it would also impact light attacks sadly.
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of these actually answer the question, though I really do appreciate the replies so far. If the answer isn't known, then that's fine.
    The passives only work if you have a destruction staff equipped
    ghastley wrote: »
    Your character would be using only class skills, and none of the weapon ones? You'd only get the passive benefits on LA/HA with the staff. Killing blows are often DoT's and AoE's, and if you're using all class skills the chances of the LA/HA from the staff being the final one go down further.
    Nestor wrote: »
    As long as you have the weapon or armor equipped, you get the passives if you have the points invested.

I'm aware of this. I'm not asking if passives effect non-weapon skills or if the effects are substantial, but simply if the two specific passives I mentioned effect LA/HA for Destruction Staff. Their tooltips claim they effect "Destruction Staff abilities", so I was wondering if that also includes the LA/HA since ESO tooltips are not always 100% accurate.
    ghastley wrote: »
    That said, grab all the passives for things you use. Hunt some more skyshards, so you don't have to choose. They're not taking up slots, or anything like that, so the more the better.

That's not the point for me. I'm not hurting for skill points. This is mainly an academic question, but I also like to have a "clean" skill build, where not a single point is spent if unneeded. It's an organizational preference thing.
    Test on a target dummy. Add passive and light attack then repeat with no passive and report findings. I for one have never considered it and doubt it would also impact light attacks sadly.

It was a passing interest. I might do it someday, but I'm in no particular rush to get it done. I was just wondering if anyone already knew for certain.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

This is as succinct an answer as could possibly have been given, but it certainly answers the question. :D

Thank you.
    Edited by Vandril on April 11, 2019 4:51PM