Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Unlocking Transmog!?

ESOShepherd
This question might sound silly but I am not sure.
How does the transmog items in the outfit station unlock?
It is enough to just loot the item or do you actually need to put it on so that the outfit will show in the station?
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you unlock items by unlocking crafting styles or using style pages.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • ESOShepherd
    Oh so I need to find or unlock them in a special way not just by looting gear, I see.
    Also is there an option to turn on or off your outfit showing ?
    When I got to my station I can edit it but as soon as I leave my "real" gear on my character is showing.........
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to save your changes to an outfit slot ... at the station, @ESOShepherd.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) You can't learn an item style from an instance you've looted. You need to loot or buy the style page (or the complete book), and also to use that on one of your characters to learn it. Each character knows their own racial style, but can learn more. The racial styles drop as complete books, most others usually just as single slot pages.
    2) Once learned, that character can make the item in that style, but none of your other characters gets that knowledge. However, any of the characters on the same account can use it at the outfit station, just for appearances.
    3) The outfit station provides a single-slot "disguise" for each piece you're using, collected as an "outfit". That can include weapons, as well as wearables. The helmet alone can be disguised as invisible (at present - we all want more slots hideable). You can switch between the outfit(s) and your regular armour on the character tab. When you leave the outfit station the first time, you won't have set an outfit, so you'll just revert to the "real" appearance. Just go to the character tab and select the outfit instead. If you buy extra outfit slots for the character, you'll have more saved choices.
    4) You can also use a costume and hat as an alternative appearance. The costumes don't come as separate slots, and can't be mixed with the outfits.
    5) A polymorph is a total appearance change, such as appearing as a skeleton. No mixing with anything else,.
    6) Some quests give you a disguise.
    If you try and use more than one of these at the same time, there's a priority order that determines what actually shows.
  • ESOShepherd
    ghastley wrote: »
    1) You can't learn an item style from an instance you've looted. You need to loot or buy the style page (or the complete book), and also to use that on one of your characters to learn it. Each character knows their own racial style, but can learn more. The racial styles drop as complete books, most others usually just as single slot pages.
    2) Once learned, that character can make the item in that style, but none of your other characters gets that knowledge. However, any of the characters on the same account can use it at the outfit station, just for appearances.
    3) The outfit station provides a single-slot "disguise" for each piece you're using, collected as an "outfit". That can include weapons, as well as wearables. The helmet alone can be disguised as invisible (at present - we all want more slots hideable). You can switch between the outfit(s) and your regular armour on the character tab. When you leave the outfit station the first time, you won't have set an outfit, so you'll just revert to the "real" appearance. Just go to the character tab and select the outfit instead. If you buy extra outfit slots for the character, you'll have more saved choices.
    4) You can also use a costume and hat as an alternative appearance. The costumes don't come as separate slots, and can't be mixed with the outfits.
    5) A polymorph is a total appearance change, such as appearing as a skeleton. No mixing with anything else,.
    If you try and use more than one of these at the same time, there's a priority order that determines what actually shows.

Thanks, that helped a lot actually.
    Though it is weird to me that when in Outfit station I saved changes to it and whenever I go there I see it, but as soon as I leave the station my char changes back to some other outfit I dont know where it is coming from. It is like there is a second layer above it that is overwritting is. What am I missing?
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It costs gold to change outfit, and depending what parts you use it can be quite costly.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It costs gold to change outfit, and depending what parts you use it can be quite costly.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Though it is weird to me that when in Outfit station I saved changes to it and whenever I go there I see it, but as soon as I leave the station my char changes back to some other outfit I dont know where it is coming from. It is like there is a second layer above it that is overwritting is. What am I missing?

On the 'character' screen, make sure it is set to 'outfit 1' or 'outfit 2' or whatever.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • ESOShepherd
    Hippie4927 wrote: »

On the 'character' screen, make sure it is set to 'outfit 1' or 'outfit 2' or whatever.

Hmm, it is. I only have one outfit slot! ;(
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your character wearing a costume or a disguise?

Costumes are on the collections tab, under appearence and have a tick mark next to them when you're using one.

Disguises are used as part of some quests and go into a special item slot below your characters actual equipment. You can click and drag it off to remove the disguise.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ESOShepherd
    Danikat wrote: »

Is your character wearing a costume or a disguise?

Costumes are on the collections tab, under appearence and have a tick mark next to them when you're using one.

Disguises are used as part of some quests and go into a special item slot below your characters actual equipment. You can click and drag it off to remove the disguise.

Thanks! Finally! It was an appearance enabled under the Collection tab.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the disguises have the highest priority, as they're supposed to set the appearance when the quest requires it, without any other considerations coming into play. I'm unsure what priority the others have, but the only situations where they combine is where an empty outfit slot lets the regular piece show through. This may be because regular gear and outfits are selected from the same set of style meshes, so the engine already knows how the handle the mixtures.

Headgear has slightly different rules, and those confuse me, too. This probably accounts for why there's a "hide helmet" option, but no similar one for any other slot.