The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Research hint

Grendizer73
Hello, I'd like to know if there's a table that says what kind of weapons/armor/jewerly are needed to do a specific research.
I mean, if I need (for example) to research "training" on a piece of armor, what kind of armor I'm going to need?
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will just need any armour with the 'training' trait already on it traveller.

Traits appear randomly across all kinds of armour and weapons - though some more frequently than others.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some add-ons will provide a neat table of what traits you have or still meed to research. Otherwise, you need to look at the Research tab on a crafting station. As you scroll through your weapons/armor/jewelry, it will show you what traits you have researched for that item. To research, say "impenetrable, on heavy armor helms" you need a heavy armor helms with the impenetrable trait.
    Edited by VaranisArano on April 8, 2019 11:53AM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty simple. For each named type of armor or weapon you need one piece of that armor or weapon with the trait you want to research. Those pieces can be white level 1 pieces as long as they have the desired trait.

Light, medium, and heavy armor pieces each have to do their own research. So to research the Training trait on shoulders (for example) you need 1 epaulets (light), 1 arm cops (medium), and 1 pauldron (heavy), each with Training on them.

Weapons are also separated by type. So to research Training on swords (example) you need 1 sword and 1 greatsword each with the Training trait. Similarly for axes you would need 1 axe and 1 battle axe each with the Training trait.

You also have to have 1 of each type of staff (flame, lightning, ice, restoration) each with the Training trait (to research Training on staves).

You can probably get friends or guild-mates to craft the pieces you need if you can't find one you're missing. For white level 1 pieces many people won't ask you for gold or materials, but make sure you know what your crafter expects you to give them in exchange for the pieces. Even when they don't ask for anything, a tip of some kind is a nice gesture.

The only time it gets expensive is when you need nirnhoned pieces to research (beyond the one you get for completing Craglorn quests). People will usually ask you for the nirncrux (trait material) to craft these pieces for you since nirncrux is rare and expensive.

I hope this makes sense and that it helps.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way you phrase the question make me think you don't understand the scope of research. You have to research each trait, on each type of equipment. Training on a sword doesn't count for anything but swords, and you have to do the research again on each of the other types of weapon - and each type of armour. That's a total of 6 woodworking items, 14 blacksmithing items, 14 clothing items, rings and amulets, each of which has nine traits.

It takes a minimum of about a year to do it all on one character.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish it would tell me if another of my characters needed to research it, so I don't destroy something I really want on another character.

I have researched enough now (across 6 characters) that I am having to craft specific items to always stay busy since I have to destroy things at times to keep my bags and bank from getting too full. (Both are maxed out.)

I hate destroying something and then having to make one to research. (The logging out, in to crafter, out and back in to researcher takes a fair bit of time and hassle.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Isteris
    Isteris
    ✭✭✭
    It takes a very long time to become a 9 trait master crafter in all the trades if you dont pay to win, my advice would be one crafter on your char list that will become your 9 trait. i have 4 master crafters but only my main has the traits, early doors i had the space issue so would buy a level 1 piece with the needed trait for a few gold instead of trying to save every thing i found. its going to take a year or so to complete but in the end im glad i did it because now if it can be crafted i can craft it.
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do wish it would tell me if another of my characters needed to research it, so I don't destroy something I really want on another character.

I have researched enough now (across 6 characters) that I am having to craft specific items to always stay busy since I have to destroy things at times to keep my bags and bank from getting too full. (Both are maxed out.)

I hate destroying something and then having to make one to research. (The logging out, in to crafter, out and back in to researcher takes a fair bit of time and hassle.)

If you are playing on PC, then addons are your friend here - AI Research Grid is what I'm using. It shows the traits as known/unknown or in process for each, divided up by skill type and each character can be selected. So it's a quick way to check if someone needs the new drop and whether they can start learning it straight away or if it will be clogging up another storage slot.

As a bonus to your situation it will also show who knows which motif - very helpful for the anniversary drops.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 4 characters and one of them is nearly finished with all 9 traits. I've purchased or had made specific pieces for the last traits I need on that character. The last thing I want to do is destroy or use one of those pieces for another character. I play on console so I don't have access to any addons.

I keep track on my phone. There's a great android app (not sure what's available on iOS) called ESO Helper that can keep track of all kinds of things in ESO, one of which is traits. You can make a profile for each of your characters. For traits, you can mark each trait under each piece as known, unknown, or researchable. When you have a piece being researched, you can set the timer in the app to match the timer in your game. Instead of having to log in and out between characters, all you have to do is look through the research section of the app to see the status of your research.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have 4 characters and one of them is nearly finished with all 9 traits. I've purchased or had made specific pieces for the last traits I need on that character. The last thing I want to do is destroy or use one of those pieces for another character. I play on console so I don't have access to any addons.

I am on the PS4 as well, so I don't have the ability to use addons. That makes this very painful.
    I keep track on my phone. There's a great android app (not sure what's available on iOS) called ESO Helper that can keep track of all kinds of things in ESO, one of which is traits. You can make a profile for each of your characters. For traits, you can mark each trait under each piece as known, unknown, or researchable. When you have a piece being researched, you can set the timer in the app to match the timer in your game. Instead of having to log in and out between characters, all you have to do is look through the research section of the app to see the status of your research.

I hope it works well. I just started tracking in a text file and that is a bit of a pain.

I am going for all the traits on all characters, for I see no reason not to do so. It will take a while, but I am finally close to Nirn stuff even on my main crafter, so I am not worried about my speed. I was finally able to craft my own leveling gear recently, since I now know enough traits.

I just try to keep everyone researching something whenever I do daily writs. That can take some work now, so it doesn't always happen, but I am getting there.

Moving the horse triner next to the crafting spot in Alinor would have been even better, but that is another issue. Some days I don't feel like even riding over to do the crafting dailies. I have fortunately built up enough supplies that I can live with crafting dailies for quite a while as it is.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are playing on PC, then addons are your friend here - AI Research Grid is what I'm using. It shows the traits as known/unknown or in process for each, divided up by skill type and each character can be selected. So it's a quick way to check if someone needs the new drop and whether they can start learning it straight away or if it will be clogging up another storage slot.

As a bonus to your situation it will also show who knows which motif - very helpful for the anniversary drops.

I really wish these things were on the PS4.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • midgetfromtheshire
    midgetfromtheshire
    ✭✭✭✭

I am on the PS4 as well, so I don't have the ability to use addons. That makes this very painful.

I hope it works well. I just started tracking in a text file and that is a bit of a pain.

I am going for all the traits on all characters, for I see no reason not to do so. It will take a while, but I am finally close to Nirn stuff even on my main crafter, so I am not worried about my speed. I was finally able to craft my own leveling gear recently, since I now know enough traits.

I just try to keep everyone researching something whenever I do daily writs. That can take some work now, so it doesn't always happen, but I am getting there.

Moving the horse triner next to the crafting spot in Alinor would have been even better, but that is another issue. Some days I don't feel like even riding over to do the crafting dailies. I have fortunately built up enough supplies that I can live with crafting dailies for quite a while as it is.

I park all my characters at Rawl'kha. The stable, bank (for guildstore) and crafting stations/handin are within running distance of eachother.
    Get rid of faction locks.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I park all my characters at Rawl'kha. The stable, bank (for guildstore) and crafting stations/handin are within running distance of eachother.

This is the same reason I choose Velyn Harbor, Malabal Tor for all my characters.

Pro: There's not usually the long load time login screens associated with Rawl'Kha.
    Con: There's a small storyline quest you have to complete to make the area non-aggro. Typically takes about 10-15 minutes per character with minimal combat.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)