The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can man or mer interbreed with bestial races and successfully produce off-spring?

• Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Claudman
    I'm not denying that the Daedric Princes have the ability to change mortals. I'm just saying that just because they can doesn't mean they will.

The ones who described Summerset as looking like ''insect wings'' were Imperial traders. Unless if you directly refer to Malachite, in which case I'd have to apologize, as I never came across the source. Could you link it?

As for the last claim, I suppose that's fair.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bruccius I agree...
    But, Sheogorath finds it particularly fun to change mortals. Look at Uncle Leo who turned into Flesh Atronach. That in itself makes no sense as well...Flesh Atronachs are made out of the flesh clumps of dead things with necromancy and yet Leo was polymorphed into one when he broke his pact with Sheogorath to not sleep with another woman. If we are to go on what we know of Flesh Atronachs, that shouldn't be possible...But, Sheogorath doesn't care because Shegorath is just unchained madness and chaos. (Source: Mages Guild Quest - ESO)

As for the second thing: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_1st_Edition/Aldmeri_Dominion
    Glass could refer to what we know as Malachite, but it could also just be literal glass.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Pheefs wrote: »
    they have incompatible biology yeah, BUT...
    I think they could solve it with magick, transform the male of the couple temporarily into the same species as the female.
    we have lots of evidence that those type of transformations aren't just a "glamour"

So they can have kids sure, but not hybrids.

Magic isn't as simple as D&D magic in TES.
    We actually have very few unreliable examples of this. Often polymorphing leads to a lot of unintended effects or transformations. TES magic is like a diceroll...You don't always get what you want. Morrowind used to have a "fizzle" system.
    I'm not talking about D&D
    In TES we have multiple examples of people being entirely transformed with potions, and depending on the situation...
    it either wears off on its own or needs an antidote to reverse it.

& yes sometimes with unintended effects, but also many times "working as planned"
    (there's support in the lore for your race change token, its a cookie ;) )
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they have incompatible biology yeah, BUT...
    I think they could solve it with magick, transform the male of the couple temporarily into the same species as the female.
    we have lots of evidence that those type of transformations aren't just a "glamour"

So they can have kids sure, but not hybrids.

Magic isn't as simple as D&D magic in TES.
    We actually have very few unreliable examples of this. Often polymorphing leads to a lot of unintended effects or transformations. TES magic is like a diceroll...You don't always get what you want. Morrowind used to have a "fizzle" system.
    I'm not talking about D&D
    In TES we have multiple examples of people being entirely transformed with potions, and depending on the situation...
    it either wears off on its own or needs an antidote to reverse it.

& yes sometimes with unintended effects, but also many times "working as planned"
    (there's support in the lore for your race change token, its a cookie ;) )

Race change tokens aren't mentioned in the lore and what's this about a cookie? Where's your source for that?

There are many unintentional side effects as I just said. When people wish to polymorph, they'll turn into something they didn't intend to turn into at all and we don't even know if that changes their body physically like the quest in the Aldmeri Dominion (or Brelyna Maryon's experiments in Skyrim). It could also just be an elaborate temporary illusion or Daedric trickery.

This is what I mean when I said magic isn't as simple as D&D magic. D&D magic is just simply "Polymorph into X"...
    However, TES magic isn't as flawless, it's VERY flawed.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race change tokens aren't mentioned in the lore and what's this about a cookie? Where's your source for that?
    I only meant we often see them eat or drink and transform, so maybe the race change token is a cookie? :D

& yes the magick is flawed, but it still IS
    theoretically someone could get biologically changed for the purposes of procreation

& Lots of examples that there's no one answer to being "transformed"

there's the skeleton guy in the outlaws refuge, he eats & drinks like a normal person, and explains to you its a "glamour" that got stuck... so obviously he's still a biological Nord under there with working parts he just LOOKS like a skeleton

there's the dark elf brother who is completely transformed into a goblin but it will wear off eventually.

the Orc permanently turned into a monkey, but he still speaks with his own voice so that one's a mystery as to what's really going on

Lady uses a potion to turn her husband into an actual dog, he has a dog level intelligence afterwards.

Dark Elf guy trying to become a khajiit, turns into an argonioan instead, drinks the antidote immediately.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only meant we often see them eat or drink and transform, so maybe the race change token is a cookie? :D

& yes the magick is flawed, but it still IS
    theoretically someone could get biologically changed for the purposes of procreation

& Lots of examples that there's no one answer to being "transformed"

there's the skeleton guy in the outlaws refuge, he eats & drinks like a normal person, and explains to you its a "glamour" that got stuck... so obviously he's still a biological Nord under there with working parts he just LOOKS like a skeleton

there's the dark elf brother who is completely transformed into a goblin but it will wear off eventually.

the Orc permanently turned into a monkey, but he still speaks with his own voice so that one's a mystery as to what's really going on

Lady uses a potion to turn her husband into an actual dog, he has a dog level intelligence afterwards.

Dark Elf guy trying to become a khajiit, turns into an argonioan instead, drinks the antidote immediately.

vyvc8rnx4ora.jpg

None of that is a reliable means to transformation tho.

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reliable or fool-proof?
    as I said earlier you could find many examples of transformation magick or alchemy 'working as planned'

point being, if you go to an Alchemist and tell them what you want to have happen, they CAN probably help you...
    the personal question would be, is it worth the risks?
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reliable or fool-proof?
    as I said earlier you could find many examples of transformation magick or alchemy 'working as planned'

point being, if you go to an Alchemist and tell them what you want to have happen, they CAN probably help you...
    the personal question would be, is it worth the risks?

When I mean reliable, I mean "risk free" or "flawless" for it to be a common practice and not a very rare anomaly.

Of course, it's completely up to the user to decide whether or not it is worth the risks, but whether or not it will be successful is unknown...As well as the potion not rendering them sterile or the Hist accepting that artificial Argonian and the spawn it produces. We don't know a whole lot about polymorphing to begin with since it's not really touched upon, but we certainly know there are a lot of unintentional side effects.

Nymic surgery (the method which Mankar Camoran supposedly used to become an Altmer and Dragonborn) is also debatable piece on the topic of polymorphing, but there is little to no lore on it.

• Indoril_Nerevar
    Indoril_Nerevar
    ✭✭✭
    The true answer is:

Most likely. As, this world of ours holds a great deal of mystery...

Secrets of the past, wandering abominations and travellers with horrid tales of cursed places.

The concept of knowledge, imagination, our sciences and magics, and all living and unloving creatures within our Mundus indicates that . .

Yes. This is most likely very possible.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The true answer is:

Most likely. As, this world of ours holds a great deal of mystery...

Secrets of the past, wandering abominations and travellers with horrid tales of cursed places.

The concept of knowledge, imagination, our sciences and magics, and all living and unloving creatures within our Mundus indicates that . .

Yes. This is most likely very possible.

I'd say it's highly unlikely if not impossible or improbable.