Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Matriarch-only sorcerer PvE builds?

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I'm used to the meta for magicka sorcerer builds being something like:
  • Dual-pet* is one option, with Volatile Familiar, either Twilight, and Daedric Prey. Skill-bar space is very limited for these builds.
  • Single-pet* is another option, with the pet being the Volatile Familiar, possibly also with Daedric Prey.
  • Single-pet healing builds of course use the Matriarch.
  • Non-pet builds commonly use Haunting Curse. But people often complain about their general lack of sustain.

*Not counting any atronach ultimates. :)

But recently I've seen posts suggesting that the new meta is single-pet, with the pet being the Twilight (commonly Matriarch over Tormentor for the usual reasons). I presume the rest of the build includes Daedric Prey, Elemental Blockade, Liquid Lightning, a spammable (Elemental Weapon preferred), and Crystal Frags (both for the damage and the group-benefitting passive). That's 7 non-ultimate skills slots, so I guess the logic is that Inner Light/Bound Aegis add more to DPS than the Familiar, especially considering the Familiar Pulse casting cost and and any interference with tank cc?

Is this about right? For what group sizes does the logic about the passive really matter? Just trials or dungeons too?

Truth be told, I generally run dual-pet, lightning staffs, Power Surge, Crushing Shock, no frags, no Inner Light, no Bound Aegis. I can duo most non-DLC normal dungeons and some of the easier vet ones with that kind of set-up. But I've never hit a 25K parse in my life, nor done many other things that should all be routine for a serious DD.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be clear, Matriarchs are usually favored over Tormentors because the Tormentor's damage advantage is too small to make up for forgoing the Matriarch's healing utility. Indeed, the choice of Matriarch could save a skillbar slot if, for example, it makes you comfortable not running a shield.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your title does not match what you actually want. If you are looking for DPS then matriarch is not the morph you want. That is the healing morph.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I think your title does not match what you actually want. If you are looking for DPS then matriarch is not the morph you want. That is the healing morph.

I'm in the group -- which I think is a majority -- that favors the Matriarch over the Tormentor no matter what.