The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will "Error 301," "Connection time out" and "infinite loading screen" keep haunting players?

Vleonn
Vleonn
Soul Shriven
I'm fairy new to the game but I had the chance to experience a problem that people have been complaining about for years. It seems like the problem is different for many people but mine goes like this: I have the steam version. It doesn't login automatically. I hit the login button. It gives Error 301. I close, hit the login button again. I get "Login Error, Connection to server time out" error. I do the same again and again until it lets me in. When I finally get in, there are two different alternatives. 1- Endless loading screen 2- It shows me the character selection screen. If it's the second one, I choose my character and try to get in the game. There's two alternatives again. 1- Endless loading screen (this time, much more likely) and 2- I get to play the game. But the journey does not end here. If I ever try to change the location by either using wayshrines or entering/exiting a cave/house, guess what, there are two possibilities: 1- Endless loading screen and 2- It let me continue the game.

So, after a vigorous journey of managing to open a ticket, I waited and got a reply. It was an automatic message with interesting advices, such as adding ESO as an exception to antivirus software or turn off and on my modem. It is quite puzzling to me, how a game that worked perfectly the day before, suddenly become impossible to play although I did no changes with my antivirus, modem, ports or addons. Surprisingly, just as how the game decided to not be playable or me, it decided to become playable once again and I played the game for 9 days in total. Now today, I was playing the game fine 2 hours ago and now I can't play it at all. The same errors and infinite loading screens returned.

I really love this game but it does no good when I can't play it. I have seen many people complaining about error 301, connection time out and infinite loading screens since 2015! The same problems were reported in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. I have some questions that I am sincerely curious about. I would very much love to know the answers.

1- Is the technical support aware that these problems still exist?
2- Is the technical support believing that it is reasonable and logical to say that the problem is about ports or firewalls when it suddenly happened in a day, without any changes by the player?
3- As for many threads about this issue, I have never seen an apology. Does the technical support or developers accept any responsibilities for bugs and inconveniences? Or is it considered that whoever has these problems must have done something to block their own fun?

I love this game and I think it's a masterpiece. I honestly want it to get better and be smoother.
  • Vleonn
    Vleonn
    Soul Shriven
    And please don't give me a "We are currently investigating issues some players are having with logging into the NA megaservers. This thread is being closed as another discussion is already ongoing. You can use this thread for further discussion."
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    The issues you've listed such as Error 301, connection timeouts, and infinite loading screens are all issues we are aware of players running into sometimes. We have knowledge base articles on each of these issues with troubleshooting steps known to resolve issues like these in the past. That does not mean the troubleshooting will work 100% of the time as these issues can have different causes that could be on our end, but could be related to ISP issues or something on the player end. If we determine a specific issue is on our end, we will put out messaging on the forums and our other social channels such as Twitter while we work to fix the problem.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Vleonn
    Vleonn
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you. It is relieving that these isues are being addressed. I hope the means to overcome these connection issues altogether will be possible in near future. In the end, no one would deliberately rid themselves of their fun and it is puzzling to most players why the game would start working improperly for them when they did not do any tweaking to their router, antivirus, firewall or game files at all.

I faithfully hope the game experience will get even better for everyone and such connection issues become a tale, told by old players.
    Options