Lore Issues With Upcoming Volendrung for PvP

Tyrobag
Tyrobag
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So this is what Volendrung is planned to look like in ESO:
volendrung.png

The problem being that is the appearance it has as of the 4th era after being corrupted by hundreds of years in Malacath's possession.
latest?cb=20120731171401&path-prefix=fr

Prior to the 4th era it retained its Dwemer appearance as seen in Morrowind and Oblivion:
latest?cb=20120612182604

latest?cb=20120513043053

So how is it that its suddenly already in the corrupted Daedric appearance it wont have for about a thousand years?

There's also the fact that I'm currently walking around with a chunk of Volendrung's handle... So good luck wielding it.
ON-icon-stolen-Handle.png

@ZOS_LeamonTuttle
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a case of the elder scrolls lore being kept vague so there are lots of opportunities for gameplay/storytelling because it's a game first before being a novel (unlike LOTR or Witcher). And it works. See below:

"Volendrung is one of the most notorious mythological artifacts in history. It has cultural ties to the Dwemer as well as the Daedra, though scholars fail to agree on just about every detail that has ever been written about it—including whether or not different accounts are referencing the same object."

"Academics recognize one such artifact, called Volendrung, as a Dwemer relic forged by Clan Rourken."
    "A second hammer called Volendrung, this time a Daedric artifact belonging to the Daedric Prince Malacath, exists in records nearly as old as the Dwemer version."

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Volendrung
    Edited by HowlKimchi on April 4, 2019 1:11PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    "Volendrung is one of the most notorious mythological artifacts in history. It has cultural ties to the Dwemer as well as the Daedra, though scholars fail to agree on just about every detail that has ever been written about it—including whether or not different accounts are referencing the same object."

"Academics recognize one such artifact, called Volendrung, as a Dwemer relic forged by Clan Rourken."
    "A second hammer called Volendrung, this time a Daedric artifact belonging to the Daedric Prince Malacath, exists in records nearly as old as the Dwemer version."

There's no source on that.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    HaruKamui wrote: »

There's no source on that.

It's a book in eso called "What is Volendrung." It should be pretty easy to research.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on April 4, 2019 1:15PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this is all Sheogorath's daedric dream world anyway; it makes sense that it looks like it would in Tamriel's future, as daedra can exist outside of time and see things in any order they want or maybe need. Be careful not to wake the god with this foolishness, because if he is not pleased when he awakes, the dream will bore him and then it will be gone.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my weapon in Skyrim. hue hue hue.

But the way this is being added into the game is simply, well, odd and not lore friendly imo. It's simply people at the ZOS headquarters trying to think of ways to add things to PVP that would still be in the realm of TES. I don't see this as lore in any way and just an extra added to an MMO to try and keep things refreshing because you have to do that to keep the game alive (unless the idea flops and then whoops).

As much as some lore-heavy players may hate this, anything that is added to PVP shouldn't be taken serious (because we all know AD wins the war so EP and DC can fight for the throne all they want, we know, lore wise, who the real winner is here).

This is just how I view it. And anything cosmetic, also just ignore as MMO shenanigans.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Tyrobag
      Tyrobag
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      This is my weapon in Skyrim. hue hue hue.

But the way this is being added into the game is simply, well, odd and not lore friendly imo. It's simply people at the ZOS headquarters trying to think of ways to add things to PVP that would still be in the realm of TES. I don't see this as lore in any way and just an extra added to an MMO to try and keep things refreshing because you have to do that to keep the game alive (unless the idea flops and then whoops).

As much as some lore-heavy players may hate this, anything that is added to PVP shouldn't be taken serious (because we all know AD wins the war so EP and DC can fight for the throne all they want, we know, lore wise, who the real winner is here).

This is just how I view it. And anything cosmetic, also just ignore as MMO shenanigans.

I agree, but whenever they do things like that (lore changes for the sake of the MMO aspect, or just because they found a new way to squeeze out more money) a bunch of people take it seriously and start pointing to it as proof. Look at the UESP page for Chrysamere for a perfect example, its been modified to reflect ESO's crown store item and the Creation Club mod (which is a mod, not official content).

Also, how does AD win? Talos comes in with an army of Bretons and Nords and smashes everyone. AD is literally the only one who doesn't win in any way, lol.
    • Robo_Hobo
      Robo_Hobo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Lots of Daedric artifacts have looked different in-between games. I mean, look at how much Spellbreaker changes, another Dwemer-crafted Daedric Artifact.

Daggerfall:
      DF-item-Spell_Breaker.png

Morrowind:
      240px-MW-item-Spellbreaker.jpg

Oblivion:
      240px-OB-item-Spell_Breaker.jpg

Skyrim:
      240px-SR-item-Spellbreaker.jpg

Are we really going to say that Spellbreaker also morphed over hundreds of years because of its influence from Peryite in this fashion too?

Or is it just more likely that the artist's interpretation and graphical potential changed over the course of the games? It's fun to think of lore reasons for the different interpretations, but to hold those theories as factual and claim it lore breaking when that theory is opposed by this ESO artifact model is a slippery slope.

Is the entire visual representation of Tamriel in ESO lore-breaking because in TES Arena, several hundred years later, every city in Tamriel from the center of Black Marsh to High Rock has almost identical architecture?
    • NordSwordnBoard
      NordSwordnBoard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      This thing is going to be great. I love both the lore and PvP. After introducing dragons in the next chapter, this simply feels like the PvP equivalent. They're digging into some of the unique Elder Scrolls stuff, and bringing out fan favorites.

I hope it's a success, because I want to see more of them added. Not too many, but 1 Emp and 2 or 3 weapons could be awesome. Maybe the ultimate 1vX build is with Volendrung, lol. Imperial City being separate could get its own weapons - creating an influx of players wanting to get a chance at using it or even just to see it being used.

Considering the weapon must be fed, I get the impression potatoes will not be OP with it by default. You will have to think and plan ahead.

It's a force multiplier from the lore, and a welcome addition.
      Fear is the Mindkiller