The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Ready for Veteran?

mashugana
mashugana
I am new to ESO but I have been a raid tank and raid healer in other MMOs. I am lv 50 sorc with CP 110 or so. Am I ready to try Veteran content? Do you suggest any steps to prepare? I think I most annoy a group when I die - any skills or tricks to stay alive in veteran? Should i have a certain level of gear?

Thanks for any advice.
  • nuvak
    nuvak
    ✭✭✭
    There is a wide range of veteran content available. You can already start with simple vet stuff like Fungel Grotto I, and work your way up. For more advanced content, you probably want to hit the cp160 (gear cap) and cp300 (cp-stat-bonus-cap) marks first.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say jump in.

Sink or swim

That's how I learnt and made my transition from norm to vet.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you can certainly try at any level you like, the gear cap is CP 160. So if you want to not outlevel the monster helm you get, you might want to wait until at least CP 160.

At CP 160, all of the base game Vet dungeons will be unlocked. At CP 300, the DLC vet dungeons will unlock.

I would suggest running all the dungeons on normal to learn the mechanics if you haven't already. The mechanics will be the same on Vet, but much less forgiving.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're dying on non vet content often enough that it annoys other people, you have work to do before moving on to veteran content. Build yourself to (in order):

1. Keep boss aggro
    2. Not die (yes this includes times when there is no healer)
    3. Buff party/debuff enemies, specifically boss enemies
    4. Manage trash mobs and group them up

If you're having any issues with 1 and 2 focus on those above all else. A dead tank is a horrible thing and it's not all up to the healer to keep you alive. A good tank will survive indefinitely, even with no dedicated healer at all.
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    Go for it, had a friend from EU server go to NA and tanked vDSA at cp30. Knowledge of mechanics and awareness go a long way.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’d wait until CP160 so any Monster Helm drops, or any gear drops for that matter, are actually useful to you.
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thanks all.

@redspecter23: I am dying in normal dungeon finder. There are so many dungeons that I struggle to learn the mechanics. Maybe I'll research a few and just queue for those until I get the mechanics. Then do the next 5 and so on. Once I know the normal mechanics I'll try Vet for one of the dungeons I know very well.

Great advice - ty.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mashugana wrote: »
    Thanks all.

@redspecter23: I am dying in normal dungeon finder. There are so many dungeons that I struggle to learn the mechanics. Maybe I'll research a few and just queue for those until I get the mechanics. Then do the next 5 and so on. Once I know the normal mechanics I'll try Vet for one of the dungeons I know very well.

Great advice - ty.

Amazing. Someone in this game who is willing to take the time to learn mechanics. You have no idea how rare that is when it comes to dungeons. Most just whine about something instead of admitting defeat. You sir, are a true gentleman.

golf-clap.gif

Have you considered running them as a DPS first? Good way to watch the healers/tanks work and learn mechanics.

Once you do get the mechanics down, and maybe level up your CP a tad, non-DLC veteran dungeons are not that difficult. Tanking is preferred over healers for most of those as the DPS running them tend to be very good at DD and self-healing.
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Great advice - thanks again.