The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do you listen to music while playing ESO?

arena25
arena25
✭✭✭✭✭
In short, instead of the game's own soundtrack/in-game music, do you listen to other music (either from a music streaming service or your own tunes) while playing ESO?
If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!

Do you listen to music while playing ESO? 138 votes

Yes, I listen to non-ESO music while playing ESO
28%
Aimoramartinhpb16_ESORikumaruAlienSlofDTStormfoxStrangerSheezabeastHeadystarkerealmEdaphonManwithBeard9EdziuDisgracefulMindMettaricanaLiofaSosRuvaakLarianaSanctum74Fluke.SlywalkerCloudless 40 votes
No, I prefer the game's own music while playing ESO
35%
theyanceydeadsheepb14_ESOkwisatzzariaIdinuseOmniDocorpsebladeElsonsokongkimSjestenkafeyiiTandorToRelaxM_Taylor40RomoBouldercleaveOrthodoxaZorrinjeedrzejTasear 49 votes
No, i turn all music off while playing ESO (including the game's own music)
5%
SirAndyaubrey.baconb16_ESOThorvargSylvisBananaRaddlemanNumber7Nerftheforums 7 votes
It really depends on my mood that play session
28%
Kikazaruvailjohn_ESOInklingsOthniel327RDMyers65b14_ESOTurelusAurielleczarVexariusAmphithoeGarishTwylaaVDoom1ReverbArvenAldmeriAlucardoFleetwoodSmackIccotakSpiderKnightFloliroy 39 votes
Someone stole your sweetroll? (i.e. Arena25, what are you talking about?)
2%
CastanamereCillion3117StormeReigns 3 votes
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I am questing or playing story content I have the games soundtrack on, during PvP or combat heavy PvE content I normally throw something else on.

I think every run of Maelstrom I've had Crypt of the Necrodancer OST playing as it's a good beat to keep me focused.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I only turn the sound on for new story updates. Most of the time I have it turned off and listen to other music while playing.
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to listen to the in-game music because the composers did a wonderful job with the game soundtrack. Especially the Morrowind segment.

In Cyrodiil, where the same combat music plays for over and over... I have my own playlist for it.
    Edited by Kikazaru on March 31, 2019 8:30PM
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Greystag
    Greystag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I listen to TESO's score. I only listen to other music while I do things like farming materials or daily writs, maybe even during the easier dungeons. The thing is that even then I'd rather watch (or listen) to a video.
    | PC / EU |
    | Aspen Greystag, Khajiit Warden, Frosty boi |
    | Healer, Tank, Damage dealer |
    | CP: 1800 |
    | Guilds: Officer at Meridia's Light |
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder you guys can't hear snipe coming. lol
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I don't exactly get to choose, the PC is in the main room of my house so I listen to whatever is going on. Sometimes that's music (in which case it's whatever my husband or I felt like listening to, not specifically chosen for ESO), sometimes it's a movie on the TV, sometimes it's just background noise. And on rare occasions it's quiet.

If it won't disturb other stuff I will have the games sound on, and then I listen to the in-game music, but more often that not I have it off.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deaf. Was only exposed to ESO's music for a year before an accident that took it. And have had Sunshine, Lollipops stuck in my head for the past 3years.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have never heard the original eso music.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I figure the music's part of any game's overall experience so I leave it on by default. There are a couple of exceptions to that rule where I actively hate the track (SWTOR and GW2 had a couple of songs that made my ears bleed) when I'll shed my headphones. Otherwise, I take what the game throws at me. I enjoy 99% of the music here and the 1% is basically ok.
  • _Medusa_
    _Medusa_
    ✭✭✭
    Even when watching an ESO stream and I hear <insert random top40/xyz track here>, I wonder why is he/she playing that, when so much of the game's music score is truly beautiful?

Running around Stormhold (Shadowfen) or Windhelm (Eastmarch), and hearing an aged bard (Jim Cummings <3) sing about his tales, to me adds to the charm of this game.

*wanders off humming, ♫ Sway as we kiss, ... ♫

• Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm usually on mic with friends playing together.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listen to the game music while playing - headphoned, as my machine is in the living room, and that allows me to mostly ignore the stupid tv that husband watches 16 hours a day....
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the game’s soundtrack, so I always listen to everything happening around my character. I think I would feel pretty disconnected from the story and quests otherwise.
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn’t matter what game I play, I always have music on. Only exception is first playthrough of a storyline, because I wanna hear the story. Otherwise it’s music up, but not loud enough to come through my headset when I’m in a party. :smile:

For the record, I’m the one sniping... most of the time...

Lol

SA96
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly non-ESO music though.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I listen to non-eso music while I play. But if I’m questing or in new content for the first time I listen to the game score.

Edited by Reverb on March 31, 2019 11:23PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FR0STDEE
    FR0STDEE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I love when people blast their hardcore rap music through zone chat..........................said no one ever.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vision is poor in my old age. I need the auditory cues that the game's soundtrack provides. Besides, I like it.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It helps when you are being ganked out of combat, not when already engaged.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Orchestra and violins get boring after 8000hrs of same zone. Also the combat music and zone music cancel eachother out with the constant in and out of combat so you never really hear either bgm completely to enjoy it.
    Also Eso tries too hard to be skyrim in terms of music everything sounds the same. I cut eso music off for last 2 years infavor of rock or something love when medieval fantasy games go classical with an occasional rock thrashing boss theme to amp up how dire the scenario is sadly eso doesn't do this...
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I listen to non-ESO music unless I'm running with a group, then I'm in discord.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Critical Role
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    Found myself just standing aimlessly out there in Tamriel and listening to ESO's own music recently. Quite surprising really, as i usually disabled it before. Ears must have changed or something
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I have the ESO music turned off and I'm just listening to ambient game sounds. I have some visual processing issues and it's incredibly helpful to me to hear what's going on around me and have that spatial input, so if I'm doing anything that requires accuracy I don't play music. When I'm farming or just noodling around I use the Rhythm bot in my Discord channel to play whatever I'm in the mood for. After it's been a few weeks and I start to forget what ESO's native music sounds like I'll turn it back on for a little while until it all starts to sound the same to me and then I switch it off again. I started doing that when they added Summerset...I miss the old pre-Summerset login music from the Morrowind expansion.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play music in almost every game I play unless I'm going for an immersive experience. Feels so empty without it.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah, I always prefer the in game music. But during farming/grinding sessions I listen to podcasts.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only when I'm farming or doing something repetitive.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but my spouse hates when I do because the musics conflict with each other and he makes me turn it off so he can listen to the in game music. Bleh...I like killing people in pvp to epic music :|
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During dailies I’ve done a bunch of times. I listened to The Prodigy’s ( :'( ) No Tourists so many times while playing through Murkmire dailies, that I can’t unhear “Naga champion” in the lyrics for Champions of London. Sometimes while questing, but never during quests I’ve never done. Never ever in Cyrodiil as I need all the situational awareness I can get. And never ever ever playing through my mic in zone chat *ahem*
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love to listen to the in-game music... in the game and in my car as well.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=